Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NCAA Bowl Season

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Now that the bowls are set, is anyone else disappointed?

OU vs. UConn in the Fiesta? Really? I guess the BCS wants to give Stoops a BCS bowl win since he's lost the last 5.

Nebraska vs. Washington in the Holiday Bowl? They played already this year & Nebraska blasted them. Also, UW was 6-6. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Wisconsin vs TCU in the Rose Bowl - WOO HOO!!!

Go Badgers.

Posted Image
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:08 PM

Utah vs Boise State at the Maaco Bowl Yahoo.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:12 AM

Oklahoma State & Arizona in the Alamo Bowl.

Only disappointment for me is I would not mind seeing Arizona get some revenge on Nebraska for last years Holiday Bowl disaster.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

Very disappointed.

Stanford should be playing Oregon for the national championship.

Short of that, we should be playing Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

But we have to play the #11 team in the Orange Bowl. And the Orange Bowl committee expects us to travel for that?
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

I can't agree with that. While I appreciate that Stanford is a really good team... We already had Oregon vs Stanford this year and Oregon won big. No need to replay that for the national championship even if Auburn and TCU had both lost their final games.

Some of the matchups, incidentally, are poor because of the BCS agreements to take teams from certain conferences. That's how UConn gets into a BCS bowl when they are hardly worthy of playing in that kind of a bowl.

It's also ironic to me to compare Boise St and Virginia Tech.

Consider... Boise beats Va Tech in game #1, and then Va Tech loses to James Madison... and for weeks everyone says that de-values Boise's win... but then Va Tech doesn't lose the rest of the season... Boise has 1 loss to a good and ranked Nevada team... and Va Tech gets a BCS bowl as the ACC champ, while Boise is relegated to the Generic Afterthought Bowl game.

Clearly all the games do NOT count as they would have you believe... otherwise Uconn wouldn't be in a bowl instead of Michigan St or some other highly ranked team... and Va Tech wouldn't be in a better game than Boise, after Boise beat them and Va Tech lost to a lower division team... a James Madison team that IF Va Tech had won, wouldn't even have counted as a win towards bowl eligibility!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Very disappointed.

But we have to play the #11 team in the Orange Bowl. And the Orange Bowl committee expects us to travel for that?

Stanford got blasted by Oregon once already...What would 2 blowouts prove? How can you not think Auburn's better than Stanford?? They went undefeated in the best conference in America.

TCU was picked over Stanford because they had to be by a new rule requiring the Rose Bowl to pick an eligible team from a league without an automatic BCS spot once every four years if a Pac-10 or Big Ten team is in the national title game.

VA Tech will beat Stanford.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I can't agree with that. While I appreciate that Stanford is a really good team... We already had Oregon vs Stanford this year and Oregon won big. No need to replay that for the national championship even if Auburn and TCU had both lost their final games.

Some of the matchups, incidentally, are poor because of the BCS agreements to take teams from certain conferences. That's how UConn gets into a BCS bowl when they are hardly worthy of playing in that kind of a bowl.

It's also ironic to me to compare Boise St and Virginia Tech.

Consider... Boise beats Va Tech in game #1, and then Va Tech loses to James Madison... and for weeks everyone says that de-values Boise's win... but then Va Tech doesn't lose the rest of the season... Boise has 1 loss to a good and ranked Nevada team... and Va Tech gets a BCS bowl as the ACC champ, while Boise is relegated to the Generic Afterthought Bowl game.

Clearly all the games do NOT count as they would have you believe... otherwise Uconn wouldn't be in a bowl instead of Michigan St or some other highly ranked team... and Va Tech wouldn't be in a better game than Boise, after Boise beat them and Va Tech lost to a lower division team... a James Madison team that IF Va Tech had won, wouldn't even have counted as a win towards bowl eligibility!

Couldn't have said it better :bowdown::bowdown:

My Bulldogs are playing in Boise again this year, but this time against Northen Illinois in the Humanitarian Bowl....I went when we beat Virginia in 2004, looking into travel for this years, but with a 10 month old son, probably gonna just enjoy it at home in front of the fire and the HDTV :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#9 OFFLINE   stevenv

stevenv

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Missouri plays Iowa in the Insight Bowl. Go Tigers!:goodjob:

#10 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Very disappointed.

I still don't get why they didn't flip us.

You guys would go better to Phoenix.
We would go better to Miami.

Makes no sense...

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:13 PM

I still don't get why they didn't flip us.

You guys would go better to Phoenix.
We would go better to Miami.

Makes no sense...

It's because Fiesta had the last pick for a team to play OU. The Orange folks wanted a higher ranked team.

#12 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:51 PM

Go Badgers.

I like your style. Bielema was under a little scrutiny at the start of the season around here, but has proven himself well.

The icing on the cake will be a Rose Bowl Victory. There will be lots of beer, brats and cheese/sausage trays at this house come gametime!

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#13 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

TCU will win if Dalton is healthy.

I can't wait to see how "cream of the crop" hdtvfan's Big Ten is. ;) I bolded my picks.
Missouri vs. Iowa
Illinois vs. Baylor
Northwestern vs. Texas Tech
Florida vs. Penn State
Alabama vs. Michigan State
Mississippi State vs. Michigan
Wisconsin vs. TCU
Ohio State vs. Arkansas

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

I guess I'm just too old, but I agree with this take:

Kids are making their lists. Santa Claus is checking them twice.

You know what that means.

No, not Santa Claus … the never-ending Bowl season is about to begin.

There are 35 Bowl games this season, starting with the New Mexico, Humanitarian and New Orleans Bowls on December 18. The games stretch until the January 10 BCS Championship Game between Auburn and Oregon in Glendale, Arizona.

There was a time I always felt invested in a team the Rose Bowl. Now it's "who?"

But then I had enough trouble adjusting when the Pacific Coast Conference became known as the Pac-8. And then I had apoplexy when it became the Pac-10.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

I like your style. Bielema was under a little scrutiny at the start of the season around here, but has proven himself well.

The icing on the cake will be a Rose Bowl Victory. There will be lots of beer, brats and cheese/sausage trays at this house come gametime!

Should be one of the better, if not the best, NYD game....ON WISCONSIN! VV

(Another SE WI fan here since 1962)

#16 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:20 PM

Go Badgers.

Should be MSU in that game.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#17 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

They would have been had they lost early in the season and not later.....

The key was Wisconsin beating Ohio State when Ohio State was #1 in the nation.

And I don't remember (off the top of my head) Wisconsin losing a Rose Bowl game...at least in my era.

Sorry TCU.....not looking good.....as long as all 3 of our running backs are healthy. :)

#18 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:59 PM

They would have been had they lost early in the season and not later.....

The key was Wisconsin beating Ohio State when Ohio State was #1 in the nation.

And I don't remember (off the top of my head) Wisconsin losing a Rose Bowl game...at least in my era.

Sorry TCU.....not looking good.....as long as all 3 of our running backs are healthy. :)

How old are ya? ;) There last Rose Bowl loss was the 63 one. They're 3-3 in Rose Bowls & haven't been since 2000.

TCU will win...Or I'll put a UW Badger avatar up.

#19 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

63....that would be a couple years before before my dad even dreamed of me! :lol:

No matter who wins...it's a good excuse to have a party. The 47" HDTV above the fireplace during the cold Wisconsin winter....can't beat it (unless I was in Pasadena of course)!

I'm cheering for red roses and jerseys.

#20 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Should be MSU in that game.

Naaaa....their schedule was too weak to hit the ranking high enough. Maybe if their uniforms were a more appealing shade of green? :lol: Sorry.

How old are ya? ;) There last Rose Bowl loss was the 63 one. They're 3-3 in Rose Bowls & haven't been since 2000.

TCU will win...Or I'll put a UW Badger avatar up.

Some of us are gonna hold ya to that. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...