Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network Local Channels List

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

The following local television stations are uplinked on DISH Network.

[See Link]

Due to the size of the list and difficulties keeping it updated in this thread, please use the daily updated listing on my website:
http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

The list there includes all the satellite uplinked local channels that were listed in this post, plus all the "OTA guide" channels for each market. A more complete way of approaching the issue. Note that the markets are based on the way DISH flags a channel as being in a market in their uplink data. Most updates are based on uplink data, not personal observation. Corrections concerning what network is on each channel are appreciated.

Edited by James Long, 01 June 2011 - 11:57 PM.
Uplink Activity

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:50 AM

The channels with a X, why are these channels missing from the market they reside in? I will be moving to the Salisbury Maryland market soon, but I see most of there locals are off.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

The channels with a X, why are these channels missing from the market they reside in? I will be moving to the Salisbury Maryland market soon, but I see most of there locals are off.

Stations can withhold permission to be carried. If/when those stations come to an agreement with DISH on carriage terms they will be carried.

Hopefully you'll be living near the transmitters and be able to pick up the stations over the air.

#4 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:13 PM

Thanks for the list. I just spent a good hour looking it over checking out the local areas as well as places where I used to live.

Most cities have 4 or 5 HD channels, but some cities are lucky with 8 or 9 HD channels, while some cities have no HD at all. I wonder why the number varies so much?

Larry
SF

#5 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:57 PM

Wow !... This was alot of work, James.... Thanks !

Should it not be a sticky thread that could be updated regularly ?... It's definitely very useful information for us here....

#6 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

It is too bad that in a major market like San Francisco Dish carries only five HD channels, none of them public television stations. Currently San Francisco is the number six DMA. Direct offers several more stations in that market in HD.

Drive south to Monterey-Salinas, a short market and the number 124 DMA, and you have Dish carrying four HD stations, only one fewer than in San Francisco--three locals and one distant. Direct doesn't even carry any HD stations in Monterey-Salinas.

Or drive northeast to Sacramento, market number 20. Dish carries one public broadcasting station there in HD, for a total of six HD stations.

This tells me that Dish doesn't have a real interest in the San Francisco DMA, for whatever reason. Direct or cable seems the way to go in that market in order to get many more local HD stations.

Down in Monterey-Salinas, Dish or cable are the choices for HD local stations. I don't see how Direct can compete at all in that small market. Sobongo makes a nice complement to Dish service in Monterey-Salinas, since most people in that market prefer ABC from Los Angeles or San Francisco over Santa Barbara.

Thank you for the chart, James. It is very interesting reading.

Edited by runner861, 08 December 2010 - 12:55 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   psdstu

psdstu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

Great Job James!!!

I didn't realize how many of the smaller DISH markets are absent any HD channels...... and I'm not sure if/when DISH ever intends to provide them to those small markets.........

Not sure why DISH choses not to offer HD to those markets.......none have any local HD....... so what would be the big deal about providing the national feed of the big 4 for those markets?

Rather then worrying about 3D tv, or someother HD movie channel I would hope that DISH would take a big step and provide HD to all these small, rural markets as soon as possible.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

Not sure why DISH choses not to offer HD to those markets.......none have any local HD....... so what would be the big deal about providing the national feed of the big 4 for those markets?

The local affiliate would have to agree to such a feed. As the local station wants you to watch their station (and commercials) allowing you to watch a competing national feed is unlikely - especially if the national feed was a better quality feed.

DISH is short on bandwidth to carry all markets in HD. There will be a new satellite at 77 next year to take over the locals there and cover more markets - which will help Eastern Arc customers but they simply don't have room for every local channel in HD.

#9 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

Great Job James!!!

I didn't realize how many of the smaller DISH markets are absent any HD channels...... and I'm not sure if/when DISH ever intends to provide them to those small markets.........

Rather then worrying about 3D tv, or someother HD movie channel I would hope that DISH would take a big step and provide HD to all these small, rural markets as soon as possible.

The customers in those markets which Dish is not carrying in HD have a few options. They can mount an antenna and go OTA, which may be viable in some cases, not in others. The other thing that those subscribers can do is call Sobongo and request HD distants. Some of those subscribers may qualify immediately, and those who do not qualify immediately can request waivers and hope for the best.

#10 OFFLINE   redsalmon

redsalmon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

James, you're missing the HD channels from the Anchorage market. NBC, CBS and PBS are all in HD.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

James, you're missing the HD channels from the Anchorage market. NBC, CBS and PBS are all in HD.

The list is driven by the way DISH has the channels in the uplink. I figured out how to get the Fairbanks and Juneau unmapped locals to appear this morning. I'll have to take a look at Anchorage.

List updated above for uplink activity ... (see here for all the changes)
Utica and Binghamton, NY markets are now available on both arcs.
18 more PBS/CW/Univision HD locals uplinked (not available).

Edit: Additional Anchorage, AK and Honolulu, HI locals missed added to the list.

Edited by James Long, 08 December 2010 - 02:10 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

ERROR in El Paso listing - 13-00 KCOS should be El Paso PBS , not Phoenix AZ.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

ERROR in El Paso listing - 13-00 KCOS should be El Paso PBS , not Phoenix AZ.

Interesting. The FCC has two KCOS stations listed (here) ... the other one is a LP station in Phoenix.
(Normally stations don't use the same call letters but apparently it is possible.)

#14 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Great info!

For the markets with HD locals at 77W - are those "conus" beams and not spot beams on E8? Will Quetzsat 1 provide improved capacity via spotbeams at 77w?

What is that, about year away?

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:30 PM

For the markets with HD locals at 77W - are those "conus" beams and not spot beams on E8? Will Quetzsat 1 provide improved capacity via spotbeams at 77w?

What is that, about year away?

Yes, yes and yes.

Possibly an June 4th launch?

SES and the 2009 press release say 3Q 2011. ILS will launch it.

#16 ONLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:58 AM

why doesn't Dish Network carry PBS Stations WTTW and WYCC in HD out of Chicago?

Thanks

bluegras

#17 OFFLINE   ClassicRockFM

ClassicRockFM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

why doesn't Dish Network carry PBS Stations WTTW and WYCC in HD out of Chicago?

Thanks

bluegras

I was wondering the same thing here. In Lansing, Michigan our local PBS is clearly broadcasting in HD - and while all the other local channels are in HD, both the PBS and the My Network affiliates are only carried in SD on Dish.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,578 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:46 PM

It is a combination of limited satellite space and lack of requirement. Each year more markets must be fully carried in HD (or fully in SD with no HD carried) so the situation will get better.

#19 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

You might be better off w/ Directv. They do have all the locals from Salisbury and in HD. NBC is the missing affiliate, why Dish network imports WHAG from Hagerstown (on the other side of the state) is a true mystery. Locals arnt going to care about weather/news from the mountains. Directv imports the NBC out of Philadelphia. Why Baltimore or DC isnt used, is another mystery.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

It is too bad that in a major market like San Francisco Dish carries only five HD channels, none of them public television stations.

One of the main reasons for this is because PBS wants the sat companies to carry ALL FOUR of the regional PBS stations in HD, or they won't give permission to carry any of them. PBS won't let them just carry KQED, which is by far the largest PBS station in the area, because that would reduce fund-raising funds to the other PBS stations. But it is both expensive and wasteful to carry 4 PBS stations, so Dish has elected not to carry any.

It's much easier to pick up a region with only 1 PBS station.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

spam firewall