Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How different would Directv be now if they were never purchased by Newscorp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

If they were still owned by Hughes what do you think Directv would of been like now. I know there would have never been the HR platform and we would still be with Tivo possibly. But I don't know all of the things that would be different. What do you all think.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

I suspect that Directv would have been negatively impacted by GM going through Chapter 11 and would have been unloaded in any case.

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

If they were still owned by Hughes [...]

I'll bet TiVO's CEO Tom Rogers daydreams about that scenario often. :)

Agree with Bob, tho. Because of GM' s troubles, they probably would have been on the block anyway.

Edited by Steve, 07 December 2010 - 08:13 PM.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:12 PM

If they were still owned by Hughes what do you think Directv would of been like now. I know there would have never been the HR platform and we would still be with Tivo possibly. But I don't know all of the things that would be different. What do you all think.

On that note should they rebuy D* to keep up with Comcast buying NBC?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,669 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:24 PM

For the first time ever, I now see the Newscorp purchase as being a good thing....
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

GM needed the money but what if they had gone to Boeing like the rest of Hughes? Would things stayed the same as there were?

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Not all of Hughes went to Boeing (a large part went to Raytheon). If the Howard Hughes Medical Institute trustees hadn't sold to GM, it could have stayed a lot like it was in the past. By the time GM sold off the assets things had already changed quite a bit (I worked at Hughes 1962-1966 and 1968-1994). The seeds of what became Directv were sown in the 1960s.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...