Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coax line does not receive data from satellite

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

Last night I had DirecTV installed in my condo unit and unfortunately, the single coax line I have to my media cabinet did not work for DirecTV. I've already wired speaker cable, HDMI and ethernet in the wall to this media cabinet, but the coax cable to the cabinet was installed prior to my ownership.

This coax cable provided quality signal for both Cox digital TV and Cox cable internet, but when the installer connected the cable to my new HR24-500 last night, it was not able to receive the authorization from the satellite. So we ran a coax cable from the other jack in the room, the receiver authorized correctly, and we put the original coax cable back in. The receiver downloaded guide data, reporting 100%, then a screen showed reporting failure for data connection.

The install replaced the F-connector on the coax cable thinking that it was terminated improperly, but still no go.

Before I run a new coax line is there anything else I should attempt here? I'm really bummed out that my media cabinet set up worked with cable but not dtv.

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

Last night I had DirecTV installed in my condo unit and unfortunately, the single coax line I have to my media cabinet did not work for DirecTV. I've already wired speaker cable, HDMI and ethernet in the wall to this media cabinet, but the coax cable to the cabinet was installed prior to my ownership.

This coax cable provided quality signal for both Cox digital TV and Cox cable internet, but when the installer connected the cable to my new HR24-500 last night, it was not able to receive the authorization from the satellite. So we ran a coax cable from the other jack in the room, the receiver authorized correctly, and we put the original coax cable back in. The receiver downloaded guide data, reporting 100%, then a screen showed reporting failure for data connection.

The install replaced the F-connector on the coax cable thinking that it was terminated improperly, but still no go.

Before I run a new coax line is there anything else I should attempt here? I'm really bummed out that my media cabinet set up worked with cable but not dtv.

Thank you.

Make sure the line in question does NOT have any regular cable splitters inline. This may be the issue. Once a spliiter is removed and the line to the receiver is barreled straight to the incomming satellite line you'll most likely resolve your issue.

the splitter in qustions (if that is truely your issue), may be found in a variety of places including the the attic, or perhaps behind an existign wall plate to jump from one room to another (which is why it would work for standard cabletv service).

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:38 PM

If the coax worked for cable and now doesn't for DirecTV, then I'd look for either it not being connected to the DirecTV feed "or" one of the splitters isn't correct, since cable splitters stop at 1 GHz and SAT splitters need to go to 2 GHz.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

If the coax worked for cable and now doesn't for DirecTV, then I'd look for either it not being connected to the DirecTV feed "or" one of the splitters isn't correct, since cable splitters stop at 1 GHz and SAT splitters need to go to 2 GHz.

Make sure the line in question does NOT have any regular cable splitters inline. This may be the issue. Once a spliiter is removed and the line to the receiver is barreled straight to the incomming satellite line you'll most likely resolve your issue.

the splitter in qustions (if that is truely your issue), may be found in a variety of places including the the attic, or perhaps behind an existign wall plate to jump from one room to another (which is why it would work for standard cabletv service).

Thank for the quick responses guys. As far as I know, there aren't any splitters in line, other than the ones the installer used at the single point of entry to my unit. I have a single coax into the unit, and 6 runs inside. We toned each of them and were able to determine locations. Interestingly, there are only 5 jacks in my house...Anyway, he tried putting the problem line on different ports of the first splitter to see if that made a difference, and still no-go. Short of tearing my walls off, I won't know if there is a splitter in-line somewhere, but the fact that we were able to tone from one end to the other should mean that its just a single line run.

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Could your jack be bad???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Well, thats what it appears to be. Trying to get other ideas here though. I've got about 4" of coax sticking out of the wall into my media cabinet, which was 4.25" before he replaced the F-connector on the end of it last night.

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

:lol: well it "should work too" :lol:
Maybe you can look & post the signal levels from the SAT setup menu. With a single wire, you also have a SWM screen, which also might be helpful.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:54 PM

We toned each of them and were able to determine locations.

Most toners will still tone though splitters. So the fact he tones it out doesn't mean it's a straight shot to the IRD on that line.

I won't know if there is a splitter in-line somewhere, but the fact that we were able to tone from one end to the other should mean that its just a single line run.

You can easily remove the wall plates with a simply screwdriver to see if there are indeed any splitters just behind each of them. If it were me, I'd investigate a little more before just giving up on the situation.

I'd also check the cable fittings at both ends (including behind the wall plate) for a possible short or being "sucked out" as this would also cause your issue....

Any of the above are easily remedied.

#9 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:59 PM

Or go buy another Jack and install it and see if that makes a difference.
Here's My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Or go buy another Jack and install it and see if that makes a difference.

Given what I've described, which part is the jack?

#11 OFFLINE   TwoPhases

TwoPhases

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

A "jacked up" jack!

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:56 PM

Given what I've described, which part is the jack?

I think he's referring to the barrel in the wall plate.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

Yes, I had one that was Bad and changed it out and everything worked great ever since.
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Ah, I re-read my description and it wasn't so clear. I don't have a wall plate. I have a cutout in the wall, with coax coming out of the wall. The F-connecter has been replaced (twice actually) and I can't pull on the coax nor cut it down any further..so no jack to replace!

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

Ah, I re-read my description and it wasn't so clear. I don't have a wall plate. I have a cutout in the wall, with coax coming out of the wall. The F-connecter has been replaced (twice actually) and I can't pull on the coax nor cut it down any further..so no jack to replace!

You've "toned it", but haven't yet posted what, if any, signal levels you're getting through it.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

You've "toned it", but haven't yet posted what, if any, signal levels you're getting through it.

You're right - the installer did not have the equipment he needed to test the line. The satellite transponder levels were all good (90's) but I do not know what the line signal level is.

Tonight I've looked behind all the coax jacks in my house and don't see a splitter on any of them. Very frustrating.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

You're right - the installer did not have the equipment he needed to test the line. The satellite transponder levels were all good (90's) but I do not know what the line signal level is.

Tonight I've looked behind all the coax jacks in my house and don't see a splitter on any of them. Very frustrating.

"A way" to do a check on the splitter [if one is there] is to look at the SWM screen under the transponder/SAT screens.
There will be nine channels [they'll look like transponders].
Post what you see and it can help, or at least be a starting point.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

"A way" to do a check on the splitter [if one is there] is to look at the SWM screen under the transponder/SAT screens.
There will be nine channels [they'll look like transponders].
Post what you see and it can help, or at least be a starting point.

I re-ran Satellite Setup and checked transponders with the bad coax line. I still get a big fat FAIL with an SWM error when it is checking data/guide feed. The transponder numbers for SWM:

54, 100, 99, 95, 0, 95, 95, 96, 95

Interestingly, these are the exact same numbers I get when I test with the working coax line (that doesnt fail the data/guide feed check).

I can watch TV and record just fine with the bad coax line, what is the effect of failing the data/guide feed check? I assume that I won't get guide updates or firmware updates..any others?

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

I re-ran Satellite Setup and checked transponders with the bad coax line. I still get a big fat FAIL with an SWM error when it is checking data/guide feed. The transponder numbers for SWM:

54, 100, 99, 95, 0, 95, 95, 96, 95

Interestingly, these are the exact same numbers I get when I test with the working coax line (that doesnt fail the data/guide feed check).

I can watch TV and record just fine with the bad coax line, what is the effect of failing the data/guide feed check? I assume that I won't get guide updates or firmware updates..any others?

These tell me:
Your guide channel has a problem with 54 on the 974 MHz signal.
100, 99, 0, 95, 96, 95 all show you don't have problems with a splitter as these are the 1076 to 1790 MHz range. The "zero" is there because there is another receiver on this SWM.
It's hard to guess why the guide channel is low, so on site troubleshooting will be needed. This coax could have a nail in it at just the "right place" to cause a problem at 974 MHz. Your cable & internet didn't have a problem because they're below 974 MHz.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   purecharger

purecharger

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

These tell me:
Your guide channel has a problem with 54 on the 974 MHz signal.
100, 99, 0, 95, 96, 95 all show you don't have problems with a splitter as these are the 1076 to 1790 MHz range. The "zero" is there because there is another receiver on this SWM.
It's hard to guess why the guide channel is low, so on site troubleshooting will be needed. This coax could have a nail in it at just the "right place" to cause a problem at 974 MHz. Your cable & internet didn't have a problem because they're below 974 MHz.

Thanks for the explanation. What are your thoughts on why the other coax line works even though it reports the exact same numbers for the SWM?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...