Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gov. Recovery Act for Sat. Broadband

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pakcyclist

pakcyclist

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:14 PM

I just received a mailing from HughesNet about a special deal in conjunction with the "recovery act." According to the site, its $40/month for 1Mgb service, with no install or equipment costs. This is the cheapest I've ever seen. Think its worth it? (I'm only interested in surfing, no gaming or anything, and it would be nice to be able to at least view U-tube videos -- can't even do that on my 26k dial-up garbage!) Anyone know if this is just a temporary price, any commitment traps, etc.? Any better deals? (I checked Starband, no mention of any government deals there . . . their 1Mgb was $70/month.)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

According to the hughesnet home page, the special pricing is for three months, after rebate. You might find more details there. :)
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   pakcyclist

pakcyclist

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, but the stuff on the homepage is the regular offer, not the one -- I assume -- for those eligible for this recovery act. (You need an eligible address to access that page.) There is no mention there of it being only 3 months, using rebates, or anything like that, so I'm under the impression that the $40/month is the normal fee for those who qualify. I'm just wondering if there will be any surprises after signing up. (Apparently, customer service for HughesNet is only available for current customers.) Anyone know more . . . ?

#4 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

i found this number, 1-888-408-3137, on their website. you can call to speak with a sales rep.

i typed in my address under the recovery act banner and it said i was not eligible.

wildblue and hughesnet were working together to get gov't funding for rural high-speed internet; but my understanding is that it was simply to get more capacity in the sky, not reduce subscriber fees.

my best guess here is that hughesnet has some unused capacity on the satellite serving your area, and they're offering a limited promo to try and fill those slots.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...