Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyway to test a non activated dvr receiver

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

My old HDVR2 is dying (at least the HD and I don't want to drop $40 for an image) and I have an old R15 that was given to me because the drive had gone out on it and it was no longer being used. Supposedly its "owned" and I threw a new HD in it and formated etc.

I just wanted to get it up and running to make sure it works before I got DirecTV involved, but I can't get past the setup where you have to call DirecTV to actually just watch one of the open channels (PPV previews etc) just to make sure its working right, if its not I'll just get a replacement from DTV directly, but I'd like to have at least one owned unit on my account.

It used to be you could just tune to channel 100 with having anything activated or even a card IIRC.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

With the recent software, it has to be activated first.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#3 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

That's what I figured...

thanks!
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Harmony 700

HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Sometimes (H[R]xx) it can works without a card.

#5 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

:confused: Is there a sequence of buttons or something to get beyond the setup?
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Harmony 700

HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 03:17 PM

Try Menu button.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

My old HDVR2 is dying (at least the HD and I don't want to drop $40 for an image) and I have an old R15 that was given to me because the drive had gone out on it and it was no longer being used. Supposedly its "owned" and I threw a new HD in it and formated etc.

I just wanted to get it up and running to make sure it works before I got DirecTV involved, but I can't get past the setup where you have to call DirecTV to actually just watch one of the open channels (PPV previews etc) just to make sure its working right, if its not I'll just get a replacement from DTV directly, but I'd like to have at least one owned unit on my account.

It used to be you could just tune to channel 100 with having anything activated or even a card IIRC.

With the recent software, it has to be activated first.

With the new software it should not get to the screen to say to call and activate if there is an installation or hardware failure it detects.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 06:53 PM

With the new software it should not get to the screen to say to call and activate if there is an installation or hardware failure it detects.

perhaps without antenna ?

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

perhaps without antenna ?

It wouldn't get past the satellite setup screen when it detects signal levels.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:30 AM

It wouldn't get past the satellite setup screen when it detects signal levels.

Am I wrong when concluded: when it not detect signal levels it would get past the sat setup screen.

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Am I wrong when concluded: when it not detect signal levels it would get past the sat setup screen.

The receiver wouldn't get to the activation screen, which is past the satellite setup/validation, because it wouldn't detect a signal without the dish connected. It would state that there was a problem detecting the satellites and would go back to ensure that the correct dish was selected.

That should be much clearer than what I put before which could be read due to a, quickly, poorly written statement.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 11:45 AM

So, what exactly OP should do ?

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:03 PM

So, what exactly OP should do ?

Get everything connected and then see if it tells him to call customer service to activate. If it has then it's good, or 99% chance that it's good, and if not there's probably an issue.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Why not just call D* to activate the R15? If it works, then have them de-active the HDVR2. If not, they can deactivate it. I don't think there's any service charge for that.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Well I was going from memory of the last time I activated a used receiver and thought I was going to have to shell out $20 for the new card just to find out if the receiver worked or not. I did not know they went back to activating used 3rd party equipment without issuing a new card.

I got it activated yesterday and she works great, much faster than that old HDVR2, I should have done this long ago :D
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Harmony 700

HR22-100

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,614 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

I got it activated yesterday and she works great, much faster than that old HDVR2, I should have done this long ago :D

:up:
/steve

#17 OFFLINE   vidguy

vidguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

Good for you. I activated a garage sale Series 2 DTIVO SD unit this last spring and they did make me buy the $20.00 card.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...