Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WHDVR Setup done, now trying to add R16 back

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:24 PM

Had WHDVR installed last week on system with HR22 and (2) H24s. Decided to keep one R16 for guest room and am now trying to connect it. I tried to connect 2 lines from the R16 to the WB68, but do not get any signal. Clue me in please?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:29 PM

I'd guess that your WB68 was disconnected from the dish since the WHDVR product needs a SWiM setup, not a switch setup to work. Did the tech replace the LNB on the dish with a SWiM LNB, you can tell by pressing the - (Dash) key on your remote, it will say "SWiM Connected" if they did.

If that's really what you have you'll need to see if you have an open connection on an existing SWiM splitter, there should be since the splitters come in 2, 4 or 8 ports and you have only three receivers now. It should have a terminator on it, remove that and connect a single coax line back to your R16, with SWiM DVR's need only one line and rerun the sat setup and you should be good.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thanks, RAD.

The WB68 still has 3 lines connected from the dish. The SWM 4 has one line connected from the dish. Yes, the SWM 4 has one line open, so I'll connect there.

So no other items needed in the back of the receiver since the rest of the house has WHDVR?

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 10 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Thanks, RAD.

The WB68 still has 3 lines connected from the dish. The SWM 4 has one line connected from the dish. Yes, the SWM 4 has one line open, so I'll connect there.

So no other items needed in the back of the receiver since the rest of the house has WHDVR?

That WB68 has been disconnected from the dish, the WB68 need four coax from the dish, your tech probably took one of them for from the SWiMLNB since it has only one line coming from it.

Forgot, the R16 also needs to get a Band Stop Filter (BSF) installed, you can get one from someone line SolidSignal. Also, just to be clear, the R16 can't access the recordings on the HR DVR, it doesn't support network connectivity.

Just curious, why didn't you have the tech connect the R16 when they did the WHDVR setup?

Edited by RAD, 10 December 2010 - 06:49 PM.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 08:29 PM

Was working on remodeling that room, not ready to be installed. Tech did leave a BSF for the R16, will add that. (Forgot what that "doo-hickey" was for).

UPDATE: added BSF, only getting signal on transponders 1 (100) and 3 (96). All others are 0.

Edited by CDJohnson25, 10 December 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

Ok, just had to update the Satellite setup to the new SWM-5 dish.

EDIT:

Was under the impression the receiver setup detected the dish type. Anyway, all is working well now. thanks again

Edited by CDJohnson25, 11 December 2010 - 11:23 PM.
additional comment

spam firewall