Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Leverage" returns Sunday

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

This was definitely one of my favorite shows. The writing was terrific and the characters had great back stories. It was neat to learn a little bit about them each week. I especially liked the flashback episodes/scenes. Parker's character was great in that you saw how a socially awkward child that really had no childhood learns what it is like to have a family. Elliot's character was very intriguing as well. Here you have someone that was basically a trained killer that should have no conscience and yet every episode you get a glimpse into someone who is very caring. The stories themselves were great as well. I always enjoyed the end of episodes when they would go back and expand on an earlier scene and show you how they pulled off their con.

Hopefully, they can wrap it up nicely in the finale tomorrow night.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

:crying_sa In Plain Sight, The Closer and now Leverage. I don't know if I am going to have anything left to watch..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#23 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Great episode to end it. Very well done in typical Leverage fashion.

-Merg

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Was the season finale ending changed when it became the series finale or was season 6 going to follow on from the end of this season with the transition that it seemed the entire season was leading up to?

#25 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

Was the season finale ending changed when it became the series finale or was season 6 going to follow on from the end of this season with the transition that it seemed the entire season was leading up to?

From a Dec 6 letter:

Dear LEVERAGE Fans,

As of the writing of this letter, we still do not know if there will be a season six of our show.* Just as we didn’t know when we created the last three episodes which are about to air.* Because of this uncertainty, John Rogers and I decided to end this season with the episode we had planned to make to end the series, way back when we shot the pilot.* So, the episode that will air on Christmas is, in fact, the series finale we had always envisioned.

This is not to say we would not do a season six should we get the opportunity. Everyone involved with the show, from the cast, the crew, the writers and producers, would like nothing more than to continue telling these stories.* But, in case we do not get that opportunity we felt that, creatively, after 77 episodes, we owed it to you, our fans, to end the show properly.

I sincerely hope you watch these last three episodes.* They build to our conclusion.* And the finale, I believe, is the most powerful episode we’ve ever done.

From all of us who make the show, thank you for watching, supporting and encouraging us.* I’ve never experienced a fandom as intense, loyal and wonderful as you all.

Let’s go steal a series finale!
Dean Devlin

Executive Producer/Director LEVERAGE

#26 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wonder if it could be shopped with USA, AMC, and Lifetime, or even SyFy? Even with the new "triad" in charge it has potiential to evolve yet carry some of its same charm forward.

I will miss watching the shoot locations as they are all around Portland where I work:(

Don "this is one show I will miss" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

As much as I would like to see the show continue... TNT isn't cancel-happy, so if they decided to pass after 5 years, I'm thinking it might be hard for them to sell to another cable network.

Don't get me wrong... I would welcome it... I'm just not hopeful.

My best guess would be USA and their "character welcome" mantra... Leverage is a show that would fit with them and I think their other shows' audience.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

As much as I would like to see the show continue... TNT isn't cancel-happy, so if they decided to pass after 5 years, I'm thinking it might be hard for them to sell to another cable network.

Don't get me wrong... I would welcome it... I'm just not hopeful.

My best guess would be USA and their "character welcome" mantra... Leverage is a show that would fit with them and I think their other shows' audience.

It also seems like Dean Devlin wants to move on to other things anyways. Why else would he have already filmed the series finale and have it ready to go?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,735 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

I need the Series Manager space.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

It also seems like Dean Devlin wants to move on to other things anyways. Why else would he have already filmed the series finale and have it ready to go?

The story for the finale was already written for the end of Season 1 when they weren't sure if it would be picked up for a second season. They used for this season as it appeared as they would not be picked up for a Season 6. If they had been picked up, he left it open enough that they could continue on with the series.

- Merg

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

The story for the finale was already written for the end of Season 1 when they weren't sure if it would be picked up for a second season. They used for this season as it appeared as they would not be picked up for a Season 6. If they had been picked up, he left it open enough that they could continue on with the series.

- Merg

I can't see how it was written back then. That was at least 2 cities ago and they were nowhere near Portland in season 1. Unless they just wrote it as "City X" at the time. And even if it were written back then it certainly wasn't flimed then. I'm sure someone knew it was coming to an end otherwise they wouldn't have flimed it months ago to now be claiming it was meant to be the finale all along. Probably one of those things where someone wanted more money and they couldn't agree so they just said "oh well, we'll jus tmake this week's the end".
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

Earlier in this thread is a letter from Dean Devlin saying in essence that when they launched the show they had envisioned how to end it. The storyline itself wasn't written only the resulting lives of the main characters.

In yet another letter also posted above Dean stated that due to the uncertainty of renewal this year, they worked the last three episodes to end as had been initially envisioned.

Had they been renewed seeing how it concluded, it would be easy to create a story that would bring the band back together maybe introduce some new drama over span of episodes to get to that point.

Yes it was formula TV but it had a great escapist quality and a female "howlin mad Murdoch" to boot. Plus it filmed at locations I sometimes have lunch at. . .

Don "at least it ended as a new beginning who knows it may be a movie someday" Bolton

I can't see how it was written back then. That was at least 2 cities ago and they were nowhere near Portland in season 1. Unless they just wrote it as "City X" at the time. And even if it were written back then it certainly wasn't flimed then. I'm sure someone knew it was coming to an end otherwise they wouldn't have flimed it months ago to now be claiming it was meant to be the finale all along. Probably one of those things where someone wanted more money and they couldn't agree so they just said "oh well, we'll jus tmake this week's the end".

#33 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Earlier in this thread is a letter from Dean Devlin saying in essence that when they launched the show they had envisioned how to end it. The storyline itself wasn't written only the resulting lives of the main characters.

In yet another letter also posted above Dean stated that due to the uncertainty of renewal this year, they worked the last three episodes to end as had been initially envisioned.

Had they been renewed seeing how it concluded, it would be easy to create a story that would bring the band back together maybe introduce some new drama over span of episodes to get to that point.

Yes it was formula TV but it had a great escapist quality and a female "howlin mad Murdoch" to boot. Plus it filmed at locations I sometimes have lunch at. . .

Don "at least it ended as a new beginning who knows it may be a movie someday" Bolton

I'm the one who posted the link...

I know what you guys are saying, I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid so to speak. It's one thing to say "we know how it ends" while you're still writing/shooting Season 1 but it's something completely different to say "oh, we knew all along" when the carpet gets yanked out from under you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#34 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,633 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

Drinking the Kool-Ade? Hmmm. You don't just rip open the pack and snort it?
Well now that makes more sense:grin:

Don "the Devlin made me do it:eek2:" Bolton

I'm the one who posted the link...

I know what you guys are saying, I'm just not drinking the Kool-Aid so to speak. It's one thing to say "we know how it ends" while you're still writing/shooting Season 1 but it's something completely different to say "oh, we knew all along" when the carpet gets yanked out from under you.

#35 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Creativity is not linear. It is completely within the realm of possibility that the concept envisioned years ago contained many elements of the last act, but obviously you as the EP postpone the last act until, well, the last.

It is also not something that you can turn on and off at will like a faucet; there are fits and starts. This can lead to clinker eps when the assembly line dictates that you as a producer need to have 22 eps in the can every year. If I am the programming head of TNT, just one ep of the quality level of "The Office Job" is enough to get me to wonder if the well is going dry and whether to consider putting the show out of its misery.

The lessons of Lost are not "lost" on TV producers; JJ and crew pitched an idea without really having much beyond the first 6 episodes, and still somehow brilliantly continued with an iconic groundbreaking series that while it didn't have much serial coherence at times, still provided quality entertainment encapsulated in each episode. To enjoy the show, you had to stop worrying about what you had forgotten about in previous episodes and where the show was taking us, and when you did that single episodes of the show could stand alone, and were revealed to be episodically brilliant and endlessly entertaining.

But it was seeing the finish line and knowing they would have to craft the storyline to get there that reinvigorated the show and made it better the last two seasons after flailing aimlessly a bit in the middle seasons.

It appears that Devlin and others learned that lesson; he tried to have a long view for where the show would go, and when continued mediocre ratings threatened the longevity of the show and he felt like there was a good ending that he could not take a chance on not being allowed to tell, he dealt his ace card as a hedge against any bets that it would be picked up for 6. The right thing to do, and proven correct by the fact that the show was not picked up.

As much as I miss Parker and her little Scooby gang, this was probably how things should have gone; we want to remember a show as it was in its prime, and not as a dying, gasping shadow of its former self. We all remember when the best TV drama of all time (X Files) stayed at the party a full two years longer than it should have, and in so doing devolved into one of the worst TV dramas of all time. We don't want to go through that ever again.

And when God closes a door he opens a window. These talented actors, writers, producers, and showrunners can't be available to work on good new shows if they are handcuffed by continuing to have to work on shows that have passed their prime and aren't all that good anymore. So it's a good thing. Bittersweet, but the way it should be.

Edited by TomCat, 07 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall