Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WGAL (Lancaster, PA) News to go "Widescreen" today

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

Many of us have known this was coming very soon, but WGAL officially announced it yesterday. Widescreen news starts at 5pm today. As of Friday, WGAL's newcasts actually was a 16:9 image but had only a 4:3 live picture. The side bars were filled with a WGAL logo. They never actually say "HD" in their commercials, so I don't know if it will be SD 16:9 or HD 16:9.

If it is indeed SD 16:9, do they use HD cameras/equipment and then downconvert it to 480?

Edited by n3ntj, 13 December 2010 - 11:28 AM.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

OK, it's official. It was 16:9 SD widescreen. I actually talked to someone at WGAL yesterday and they told me that the widescreen newscast is the "next step towards an HD newscast". Some of the studio shots did look good, 'near HD', and some of the shots (mostly remote shots and the Traffax girl) were definitely not HD. I would call it 16:9 widescreen SD.

I don't know if WGAL has a specific date set for HD newscasts. As few people probably noticed, all of the ads that WGAL have shown only say "widescreen".. they never said HD. Most people assume these are the same thing, but as we know on dbstalk.com, it is not always the same thing.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:05 AM

WSTM in Syracuse, NY just did this - they are calling it "Enhanced Widescreen" which has alot of people criticizing it because the promos and on air people are talking about it leading many to think it's HD. I don't have an issue with the term "Enhanced Widesceen", but many on local forums are saying they are misleading their viewers because a competing station (WSYR) is getting ready to launch HD local coverage and newscasts. What is your take?

http://www.cnycentra....aspx?id=553048

http://www.cnycentra....aspx?id=553817
BAN the FCC!

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

WGAL never said HD in their ads, but I think 90% of the people out there think it's HD. Most people have no idea. WGAL has not come out and said it is not HD, other than when I talked to my contact there.

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:14 PM

On a similar note, WPMT Fox 43 is slated to debut their HD local newcasts (real HD, not just SD widescreen like WGAL) some time in January.

Our market is the largest in the USA (#39) without at least one local station providing an HD local newscast.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...