Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding H24 to SWIM Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sgtpepr

sgtpepr

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

I have a working swim whole-home setup with 2 tv's currently. The switch is in the soffit over my patio. The tech ran 1 line to my family room main tv into a power supply and a 4 way switch. From here he ran 2 leads into my main tv, 1 lead into the tv in my bedroom which was thru the family room wall, and 1 lead to the internet router. I want to install a H24 in my patio and hook it to the swim network. I have an extra DECA unit to use - what else will I need to get and how will I need to set this up? Do I need to run a line to the internet router from the patio soffit??

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

By switch, I assume you mean splitter as that is what is used on SWM systems. How many cables are going from the dish to the splitter in your soffit? How many cables from that to the family room and how many outputs open and not are on it? I'm wondering if the "switch" in the soffit is really just a ground-block, although that would be a strange location for it.

You mention that two cables go to the receiver for the main TV. Are both those cables connected to SAT1 and SAT2 inputs on that receiver? With a SWM system, only one cable is need for a receiver even if it is a DVR.

For a H24 receiver, a DECA is not needed. You just need to run a coax line to it and plug it in. The H24 will connect to ethernet over the coax line and thus will connect to your router via the Broadband DECA that you already have installed.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   sgtpepr

sgtpepr

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

Thanks Merg. Obviously I have a lot to learn. I have looked over the setup again and here is what I see - and unfortunately - i cannot see into the soffit at this time.

I believe there are 4 cables running from my dish to the splitter in the soffit. I thought there was 1 cable running from there to behind my familyroom TV - but I see there are 2. 1 runs to a 4 way dtv splitter and 1 goes to a dtv stand alone power module. This module is connected to one of the 4 outputs of the 4 way splitter, and the other 3 outputs go to: the bedroom tv (which has a deca unit) the family room tv, and to the internet router.

So then to connect the h24 in the patio I only need to connect it to the splitter that is right there in the soffit - that sounds too easy!

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

It seems that the "splitter" in the soffit area is actually the SWM8 module. It has two outputs, one is connected to the 4-way splitter and the other to the PI.

However, I don't quite know what you mean by "1 runs to a 4 way dtv splitter and 1 goes to a dtv stand alone power module.". and then "This module is connected to one of the 4 outputs of the 4 way splitter...". It sounds like the power inserter is then connected into the 4-way. That seems wrong.

Please try to determine exactly what is connected and how.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall