Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sony Sat-T60 on last leg. Recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wall-e

wall-e

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

My Sony Sat-T60 from 2001 is on its last legs. It is shuttering and lagging pretty bad and also occasionally restarts itself. Manual restarts and restores also do not seem to help. I am pretty sure it is the hard drive, unless someone else has an idea. At some point, I will break down and buy a HR2x to replace this unit, but I do still enjoy my little tivo workhorse. This is not a full time use unit. It is usually in the back bedroom and I use it mainly to pause live tv and listen to music.

What would I need to do to replace the hard drive? I have plenty of old 40gb, 80gb, 120gb, 160gb IDE hard drives laying around that I know I can drop in. I know this unit has a hard drive limit size of 160gb. I am not too sure where to buy the software and what version. It is currently running software version 3.5d-01-1-001.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 December 2010 - 04:58 PM

I really liked my T-60 but it died several years ago . . . around the time I got the first (of many) HR2xes and went HD.

Unless you're still SD, I wouldn't bother replacing the drive. The last time I looked (3 years ago), everything you need to replace the drive was free to download.

As old as it is, you may find it's not just the hard drive.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 15 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

My Sony Sat-T60 from 2001 is on its last legs. It is shuttering and lagging pretty bad and also occasionally restarts itself. Manual restarts and restores also do not seem to help. I am pretty sure it is the hard drive, unless someone else has an idea. At some point, I will break down and buy a HR2x to replace this unit, but I do still enjoy my little tivo workhorse. This is not a full time use unit. It is usually in the back bedroom and I use it mainly to pause live tv and listen to music.

What would I need to do to replace the hard drive? I have plenty of old 40gb, 80gb, 120gb, 160gb IDE hard drives laying around that I know I can drop in. I know this unit has a hard drive limit size of 160gb. I am not too sure where to buy the software and what version. It is currently running software version 3.5d-01-1-001.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Well, for $99 you can purchase a new hard drive that's already configured, details here.

If you're comfortable working with computers, there are instructions here. In my experience, it is usually a very small section of the hard drive that is the problem. If your hard drive isn't too damaged, you should be able to copy the software from your original drive. If that isn't possible, you might be able to locate a virgin image for that model. It's even possible to add a second drive if you're so inclined.

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

I few years ago a removed my T60 from my account as I went HD. (HR10-250 at the time). I had added a 120G drive to it and it was still working quite well.
I removed the 120G drive and reformated it for use in a PC. It's now the home for Win XP SP3 on my second desktop used for archiving.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...