Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release - DISH Network Rolls Out 3D Movie Selections

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

DISH Network Rolls Out 3D Movie Selections

Customers Ordering ‘DISH Cinema On Demand’ Movies in December Entered into Holiday Sweepstakes for Prizes Including 3D TV Set

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Dec. 16, 2010
– DISH Network L.L.C., today announced the rollout of multiple 3D movies available from DISH Cinema On Demand.

Beginning this month, DISH Network is giving customers access to a variety of 3D movies including “Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore,” “The Last Airbender,” “A Christmas Carol” and “Step Up 3D.” Additional titles coming in January include “Despicable Me,” “Shrek Forever After,” and “Saw: The Final Chapter.” These movies will be delivered in up to 1080p resolution.

To celebrate the introduction of 3D programming and the wide variety of on demand selections available through its DISH Cinema platform, DISH Network is hosting a “Home for the Holidays Sweepstakes” through Dec. 31. Each time a DISH Network customer rents a qualifying movie or event from DISH Cinema, they are automatically entered into a drawing to win prizes like a Sony® 46-inch LED 3DTV, Sony® Portable Satellite Navigation Systems, Sony® Webbie HD™ Cameras, FOX Family Prize Packs and more.

“DISH Network is giving customers the ability to experience the power of 3D from home with a variety of popular movies available on DISH Cinema,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “Our customers expect engaging video experiences, and we look forward to bringing them additional 3D titles as we expand our DISH Cinema platform.”

To enjoy DISH Network’s 3D movie selections, customers will need a 3D television set with compatible 3D glasses and a DISH Network ViP® 922 HD DVR. DISH Network’s 3D movies range in price from $5.99-$7.99 and can be ordered through the DISH Cinema interface by pressing “Menu” then “DISH On Demand,” or by tuning to DISH Network Ch. 1 or 501. For more information, visit www.dish.com/3D.

###

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ : DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14.2 million satellite TV customers, as of September 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy industry-leading customer satisfaction, the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

DISH Network Rolls Out 3D Movie Selections

Customers Ordering ‘DISH Cinema On Demand’ Movies in December Entered into Holiday Sweepstakes for Prizes Including 3D TV Set

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Dec. 16, 2010
– DISH Network L.L.C., today announced the rollout of multiple 3D movies available from DISH Cinema On Demand.

Beginning this month, DISH Network is giving customers access to a variety of 3D movies including “Cats and Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore,” “The Last Airbender,” “A Christmas Carol” and “Step Up 3D.” Additional titles coming in January include “Despicable Me,” “Shrek Forever After,” and “Saw: The Final Chapter.” These movies will be delivered in up to 1080p resolution.

To celebrate the introduction of 3D programming and the wide variety of on demand selections available through its DISH Cinema platform, DISH Network is hosting a “Home for the Holidays Sweepstakes” through Dec. 31. Each time a DISH Network customer rents a qualifying movie or event from DISH Cinema, they are automatically entered into a drawing to win prizes like a Sony® 46-inch LED 3DTV, Sony® Portable Satellite Navigation Systems, Sony® Webbie HD™ Cameras, FOX Family Prize Packs and more.

“DISH Network is giving customers the ability to experience the power of 3D from home with a variety of popular movies available on DISH Cinema,” said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “Our customers expect engaging video experiences, and we look forward to bringing them additional 3D titles as we expand our DISH Cinema platform.”

To enjoy DISH Network’s 3D movie selections, customers will need a 3D television set with compatible 3D glasses and a DISH Network ViP® 922 HD DVR. DISH Network’s 3D movies range in price from $5.99-$7.99 and can be ordered through the DISH Cinema interface by pressing “Menu” then “DISH On Demand,” or by tuning to DISH Network Ch. 1 or 501. For more information, visit www.dish.com/3D.

###

About DISH Network
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ : DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides more than 14.2 million satellite TV customers, as of September 30, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy industry-leading customer satisfaction, the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

I have a condition in my right eye that prohibits me from seeing 3d. I'm glad Dish is going head to toe with DirecTV. At least I can see HD which I love.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#3 OFFLINE   mcss1985

mcss1985

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Good news that Dish is finally dipping its toe into the 3D waters. I know its not for everyone, but it never hurts to attempt to keep up with the Jones' (or Whites).

Its just a shame it will only be available on the 922.

Anyone have any thoughts on possibility of adding it to 722 and the like?

I am planning on buying a Sling Adapter very soon, but I may now have to consider putting that money towards a 922 instead.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:16 PM

I guess it depends on why they limited it to the 922.

The 922 should be mostly identical to a 722K, except for Sling... so unless it requires more CPU power and a 922 has more (I don't know that it does)... then it would seem like a 722K could do this too.

Then it's a matter of whether a 622/722 has the horsepower to manage it... and in the case of the 622, there might not be enough reserved hard drive space for the larger 3D movie files to be stored unless you only had a few VOD movies at a time.

So, I'm not expecting a 622 ever to support 3D really... at least not the VOD 3D.

The other receivers are a shoulder shrug until we know more.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:46 PM

Good news that Dish is finally dipping its toe into the 3D waters. I know its not for everyone, but it never hurts to attempt to keep up with the Jones' (or Whites).

...or hype. I'll be glad when this latest round of 3D-mania is finally over.

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:23 AM

Anyone have any thoughts on possibility of adding it to 722 and the like?

From James Long's Charlie Chat Summary from Monday night:

Q: (Email - Ted from Ohio) When does DISH Network plan on having 3D programming, and will we be able to watch it through our current ViP 622 receiver?
A: Not through the 622. It will be available through the 722k and 922. Available today on the 922 (limited). If you can wait about a year - which is what (Charlie) suggests - get the new chipsets and it will be better. Today's product is movies downloaded in advance to your hard drive. Pay only if you watch them. Need 922, 3D TV and glasses.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:02 AM

Then it's a matter of whether a 622/722 has the horsepower to manage it... and in the case of the 622, there might not be enough reserved hard drive space for the larger 3D movie files to be stored unless you only had a few VOD movies at a time.

So, I'm not expecting a 622 ever to support 3D really... at least not the VOD 3D.

I don't see any reason not to put 3D on the 622/722 other than space and marketing. There is no point in sending my 622 a 3D VOD ... nor a 1080p VOD for that matter as I don't have a 3D/1080p TV to view the content. That space is better used on regular HD VODs that I would actually have the ability to watch. As long as the work is being done by the TV I don't see the lack of "horsepower" on the 622 to be a problem with the current method. And file sizes should be about the same between a normal HD movie and a 3D HD movie using the current method.

The expected change next year "when 3D gets better" will use a method that gives a better display. Likely a new method that will not work on the 622/722 but can be handled on the 722k/922. It would be bad marketing to introduce 3D on a 622/722 now and pull it next year and supporting 622/722 3D and 722k/922 3D with separate downloads/feeds would just be a complication. It would be better for marketing to charge $200 for an upgrade to the 922 than to support the near obsolete 622/722.

#8 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

...or hype. I'll be glad when this latest round of 3D-mania is finally over.

We'll see in two years if 3D becomes mainstream, or nieche.

My guess: it'll die.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#9 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

I suspect 3D is here for a while. The television industry must have relative faith since they are turning out 3D versions by all the major players. That said there was "BetaMax" and the "Laserdisc".......never mind.....:icon_stup

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:50 PM

I suspect 3D is here for a while. The television industry must have relative faith since they are turning out 3D versions by all the major players. That said there was "BetaMax" and the "Laserdisc".......never mind.....:icon_stup

I've lost count of all the times 3D becomes all the rage at the theaters... and then home versions. Granted, this is the best 3D we've ever had technology-wise... but I don't think that will be enough to make it a big deal for more than just a passing fad again.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   jpeckinp

jpeckinp

Legend

• Registered
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

I have a condition in my right eye that prohibits me from seeing 3d. I'm glad Dish is going head to toe with DirecTV. At least I can see HD which I love.

My wife is blind in her left eye. For some reason when she watches something in 3D at Costco or CompUSA she can see it just fine.

I still won't be buying a 3D tv.

#12 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

My vision in my left eye doesn't line up with my right. No 3-D for me!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:46 AM

My wife is blind in her left eye. For some reason when she watches something in 3D at Costco or CompUSA she can see it just fine. ...

She's seeing 2D with one eye. (Cover one eye with a piece of paper and try it yourself.

#14 ONLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:12 PM

She's seeing 2D with one eye. (Cover one eye with a piece of paper and try it yourself.

I think you need two good eyes for 3D.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#15 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 831 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

I could swear I heard DISH reps say in the past that 3D would work on existing VIP receivers, which would include the 622.

Not even sure I want 3D, but all the new top line TVs seem to be ready for it. I don't really want to upgrade receivers. For now my 622s are fine. 922 has features I don't really need. What I would like is a single receiver that could give me HD at all my TVs. I don't see that coming anytime soon.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,335 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

I could swear I heard DISH reps say in the past that 3D would work on existing VIP receivers, which would include the 622.

That is the past for you. The technology is changing. As noted, I believe the 622 could handle today's 3D ... but next year's technology? On a 5+ year old receiver design? Probably not a good idea.

I don't really want to upgrade receivers. For now my 622s are fine. 922 has features I don't really need. What I would like is a single receiver that could give me HD at all my TVs. I don't see that coming anytime soon.

I have one HDTV so one 622 works fine (and I also have a 211).

One needs a device at every TV ... it doesn't need to be a full blown receiver but there needs to be something feeding the TV. The closer one gets to one receiver the more power that receiver needs to tune, record and distrubute the signals. So one needs one superpowered receiver or several regular receivers sharing the load.

At some point the "device at every TV" might as well be a receiver ... although the ability to share content and tuners between receivers would be a nice bonus.

#17 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Can't wait for Dish to overcompress 3D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...