Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New customer vs. upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimP

JimP

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:05 PM

The cost for a new customer to get an HD-DVR installation is $0 and $36 per month for Choice Extra for the first 6 months. Why should an existing SD customer have to buy the Receiver and pay $58 per month plus $10 for HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

The cost for a new customer to get an HD-DVR installation is $0 and $36 per month for Choice Extra for the first 6 months. Why should an existing SD customer have to buy the Receiver and pay $58 per month plus $10 for HD?

Because it is a new customer promo. After teh 6 months, they will pay the same as a current customer. As for the $10 fee for HD access, you can get that credited back to you for 24 months if you pay via AutoPay and call up and ask for it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Presumably, you received a great deal when you first signed up too. That's just the way it works. DIRECTV already has you as a customer. They are willing to cut a great deal to add a new sub.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,686 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:09 PM

All of us were new customers once. Obviously they needs these sweet deals to attract customers away from Cable, Dish, etc. Typically less necessary for retaining the customers they already have.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Because the new customer promo is designed to lure new customers to the Dark Side. Once the Dark Side has a hold of your wallet, it doesn't let go easily. :D

You could threaten to cancel.... once you get to the cancellation department, there is a chance that they will ask: What does it take to keep you as a customer.... and then you state your demands: Free HD-DVR and New customer promo pricing.

Worst they can say is NO.... and then you can "go ahead and think about it some more" and hang up. ;)
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#6 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

I'm just curious to know when we got the ability to waive DVR service for the first 6 months again. Last thing I knew they took that away from us(as in doesn't even pop up in the ordering system anymore) right before the end of the NFL Sunday Ticket. Price should be $44.99 a month for Xtra/HD DVR service if you do auto billing. Although they might be able to get it $39.99 if they give the $5 credit if you order online before the holidays are up. Not sure how they could get it to $36.99 though
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...