Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Couple of questions before going to Directv

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Graygeek

Graygeek

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

Thinking about tossing cable under the bus and moving to Directv. My first question is, the Directv site implies I can do a self install. Most references to this seem to be several years old. I have done many C-band and dish installs over the years, and being a doit myself kinda guy I would prefer/enjoy to install the system myself. Call me stubborn, the wife does! :D If I order Directv online as a new customer will they let me do the install myself?

Second queston: I could care less about starz/showtime and plan to cancel prior to end of free three month period. Is there any risk the cancellation would effect my "Free HD"? Any tips on how to drop the Starz/Showtime before it cost $$?

Thanks for your reply

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:17 PM

I would let DIRECTV install.

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:07 PM

Thinking about tossing cable under the bus and moving to Directv. My first question is, the Directv site implies I can do a self install. Most references to this seem to be several years old. I have done many C-band and dish installs over the years, and being a doit myself kinda guy I would prefer/enjoy to install the system myself. Call me stubborn, the wife does! :D If I order Directv online as a new customer will they let me do the install myself?

Second queston: I could care less about starz/showtime and plan to cancel prior to end of free three month period. Is there any risk the cancellation would effect my "Free HD"? Any tips on how to drop the Starz/Showtime before it cost $$?

Thanks for your reply

For you to receive any special(s) in terms of discounts for new customers on equipment it requires professional installation. Most installations are free for new customers as long as it doesn't require any extravagant measures to complete the installation.

To do a self installation, you would have to purchase all of the equipment on your own from one of the few online retailers such as weakness or solidsignal at your own expense without the benefit of free or discounted equipment. this would entail the dish, lnb, power inserter (if using an SWiM lnb type), receivers (standard, hd or hd dvr varieties), and all installation materials needed to compelte your installation. This would also eliminate you from being covered by any installation wareranty that typically comes with a professional installation of course.

Seeing that a free professional installation is just that, it is rather unwise to forgo that offer just to come out of pocket even more cash...

Free HD requires auto pay to be setup at the time of singing up. This is separate and apart from any other promotions like 3 months or so pf any premiums. Canceling the stars/showtime package or any other premium for that matter does NOT effect the free HD promo.

As far as the free starz/showtime package or any other premium station promo goes, you just have to remember to call and cancel before the free period expires or they will automatically renew at the regular rate.

Edited by Yoda-DBSguy, 17 December 2010 - 07:13 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,500 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

No, DirecTV will not send you any equipment for self installation. You'll need to buy the stuff yourself from dealers like http://www.solidsignal.com or eBay.

Just make a note in your calendar to call DirecTV to cancel any freebies a few days before the 3-months are up.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   Graygeek

Graygeek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply's :up:

#6 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Being a veteran DTV subscriber/equipment owner I would highly advice you to have DTV install all of your system. Next, I also recommend you purchase their equipment protection plan. Here in North Texas we experience very high winds it is convenient and cost effective to have DTV come out and re-align dish and replace repair exterior cabling impacted by our severe weather.

Even though I truly understand your love of DIY work in this instance it pays to have true DTV techs do your install.

One additional tip. If the option is still available I would again highly recommend you purchase and have installed DTV's seperate HD antenna. We get over 15 additional DFW standard and about 5 or so additional local HD channels not included in DTV's local's package.

Good luck.

#7 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:22 AM

Next, I also recommend you purchase their equipment protection plan. Here in North Texas we experience very high winds it is convenient and cost effective to have DTV come out and re-align dish and replace repair exterior cabling impacted by our severe weather.

I would suggest the OP read around to see if the protection plan is really worth it. IMO, it is not. I've needed one service call since 1997 and D* waived the fee because I was a long time customer.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#8 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:02 AM

I would suggest the OP read around to see if the protection plan is really worth it. IMO, it is not. I've needed one service call since 1997 and D* waived the fee because I was a long time customer.

Then again....those 2 free Dish alignments, 1 free Slimline Dish replacement, and 1 free HD receiver (owned) replacement over the past 4 years have more than paid for itself nicely with the Protection Plan here. My wallet also sleeps well knowing its there. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

Then again....those 2 free Dish alignments, 1 free Slimline Dish replacement, and 1 free HD receiver (owned) replacement over the past 4 years have more than paid for itself nicely with the Protection Plan here. My wallet also sleeps well knowing its there. :D

+1......Better to have coverage and not need it then to need it and not have it.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

+1......Better to have coverage and not need it then to need it and not have it.

We'll be having this argument forever. It's like saying, "I've never been sick a day in my life, why should I get health insurance?", or, "I'm a great driver, I don't need insurance just to drive my car." When you least expect it, you'll need the PP. I wouldn't be without it and I usually buy my own replacement receivers. It's not just for receivers, it's for your whole system, from the dish down to the receivers and everything in between.

Rich

#11 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:41 AM

We'll be having this argument forever. It's like saying, "I've never been sick a day in my life, why should I get health insurance?", or, "I'm a great driver, I don't need insurance just to drive my car." When you least expect it, you'll need the PP. I wouldn't be without it and I usually buy my own replacement receivers. It's not just for receivers, it's for your whole system, from the dish down to the receivers and everything in between.

Rich

I can relate to that in more ways than one. You're absolutely correct.

LIke all those examples....the first time you need it, you'll know why it was a good idea. The Protection Plan is another one of those "insurance" programs.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

I can relate to that in more ways than one. You're absolutely correct.

LIke all those examples....the first time you need it, you'll know why it was a good idea. The Protection Plan is another one of those "insurance" programs.

"Insurance programs", that's the way I look at the PP too. Rather than a warranty. I'm not big on warranties that salesmen try to stick you with, but the PP isn't one of those (Oh boy, we're gonna make some profit on this sucker) warranties that we're always warned against.

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Graygeek

Graygeek

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:14 PM

Again, thanks to all for the inputs ... lots to consider and more reading here to do.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

Seeing that a free professional installation is just that, it is rather unwise to forgo that offer just to come out of pocket even more cash...

Professional just means that they get paid to do it. I've had good installers, and times where it took three appointments to finally get then to not cancel it again and follow my steps.

#15 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Professional just means that they get paid to do it. I've had good installers, and times where it took three appointments to finally get then to not cancel it again and follow my steps.

This was very much the case here in our area when DTV used every run of the mill contractor. Once DTV switched to true DTV employees the quality of installation and repair service improved 100%.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,749 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

Again, thanks to all for the inputs ... lots to consider and more reading here to do.

You might think of just doing the inside RG6 cabling. The best setup is to have a central feed and then home runs to each location you want to put a box and one for the DECA that gets connected to your router.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#17 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

Installing a Slimline dish without the correct signal meter can be a bit difficult. It's a lot different then setting up the old C-band dishes. Tilt, azimuth, and elevation have to set and peaked for three or five different satellites.

There are members here who know much more about this than I do, but I don’t think it can be done with the same equipment you used for C-band.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:10 AM

This was very much the case here in our area when DTV used every run of the mill contractor. Once DTV switched to true DTV employees the quality of installation and repair service improved 100%.

The Tech who was at my home last week told me that customers have been turning away installers and techs who don't have D* trucks. Not a bad idea, given the problems with contractors that I've had.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   cosmo

cosmo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:03 AM

let dtv do the dish you have to dithrer or center a slimline dish

and the protection plan is well worth it if they have to come out they charge you 49.00 for the service call and you may have to pay if its a ird problem.

spam firewall