Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does anyone play games while DirecTV2PC is going?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rschmitty

rschmitty

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm having a problem with streaming DirecTV2PC and online games going on at same time. Namely the games will disconnect from the server while it's going.

I'm on a gigabyte network in my office area connected to another gigabyte network (theater/family/bedroom) over a wireless N bridge and monitoring the streaming I am getting between 8-12 Mbits. It streams just fine, it's just that games being played will die whenever someone starts streaming some TV.

Has anyone else run into the problem before? Trying to figure out if a switch or router is getting flooded or something. I even tried getting NetLimiter on the computer being streamed to and setting that to like 5Mbits/s but it still drops the game.

The game it self uses only 30-50kbits/sec. Also doing a speed test while the DirecTV2PC is going has no effect on my normal internet speeds, so just not sure why games would be dropping. They literally drop in 2-3 minutes of starting a DirecTV2PC stream every time

Here's the network if it helps: img716.imageshack.us/img716/2152/networko.jpg (sorry wont let me post urls yet)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 10:51 PM

The app might be affecting packet loss or latency. As I can't play xbox live and d2pc simultaneously.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   BsheaH

BsheaH

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Glad to see this topic, I was beginning to think it was my router, but it's obviously the application that is causing this packet loss while running games.

I have tried many settings in my router, I am running brand new cat 6a cable on a gigabit network, I have even tried running a 5ghz wireless signal at the same time to see if maybe it would pull less from the ethernet. I have tried many combinations, the app just doesn't work well with gaming.

Anyone know of a solution, will they possibly update this app to fix the problem?

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Glad to see this topic, I was beginning to think it was my router, but it's obviously the application that is causing this packet loss while running games.

I have tried many settings in my router, I am running brand new cat 6a cable on a gigabit network, I have even tried running a 5ghz wireless signal at the same time to see if maybe it would pull less from the ethernet. I have tried many combinations, the app just doesn't work well with gaming.

Anyone know of a solution, will they possibly update this app to fix the problem?

Welcome to the forum.
Since streaming requires a constant stream of bits, trying to play internet games at the same time may cause too long of a delay or change of the priories, so this may be why you're having problems, but I also don't expect this to ever be addresses with DirecTV2PC, as this app has become very old and DirecTV is moving other directions these days.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

My dad remote connects to his computer at work when he's off on Fridays with Citrix and I showed him how to use Direc2PC or whatever it's called (he has dual monitors in his office) and his computer is plugged in with gigabit Ethernet on a switch but I tried it directly connected to the router. It's a quad-core albeit Core 2 Duo but it has 6GB Ram

Well it makes his Citrix keep reconnecting and we have a 30mbps Internet connection and it only happens when the
Direc2PC is on. So he doesn't use it needless to say.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...