Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MUST I upgrade to SWM/DECA hardware for Whole Home DVR?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eph3

eph3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

Prior to upgrading to D* HD-DVR three years ago I enjoyed multi-room capabilities with the ReplayTV 5000 units I had in my home. These had been connected to my home hard-wired ethernet network which the ReplayTV units used to communicate to one another for playback or sending programming commands from one to another.

I lost the multi-room capability when I upgraded to D* HD-DVR and am now considering going to a D* Whole Home DVR configuration. Everything I have read so far implies that I now have to run another ethernet network within my home, although it would use the coax already in place for DirecTV. I think I understand what would change (upgrade one receiver to HD capable, install SWM, DECAs, PI, etc.) but why?

MUST I install all of this additional hardware to establish an ethernet network which the D* receivers can use when I already have an existing hardwired ethernet network already in place?

Are there advantages to having the SWM network separate from my regular home network? One can think of is separating the D* traffic from my computer network, but are there others?

Thanks all!
DirecTV since '96, HR21-700, HR22-100 and RTV 5160

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:57 PM

See this thread for information about using your existing ethernet network for whole-home DVR.

#3 OFFLINE   eph3

eph3

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

Thanks Bob. I had scanned through that thread prior to my posting but with so many responses there it was difficult to determine the answers to my questions.

If I've read between the lines correctly, it seems that it is possible to use an existing ethernet network BUT it depends a lot on how you communicate with D* and it's currently an unsupported configuration. Is that right?

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

Must - no.

Should - probably.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

If you want it to work properly and flawlessly with support from Directv I would let them install the DECA/SWM WHDVR Service and be done with it as I just love mine and I had it connected via my LAN but it didn't work flawlessly and gave me periodic problems.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

Hook up your receivers to your home network. Follow the instructions in the other thread about sending an e-mail to DirecTV. They will turn on MRV in an unsupported mode for you. That's it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:00 PM

Thanks Bob. I had scanned through that thread prior to my posting but with so many responses there it was difficult to determine the answers to my questions.

If I've read between the lines correctly, it seems that it is possible to use an existing ethernet network BUT it depends a lot on how you communicate with D* and it's currently an unsupported configuration. Is that right?

It (ethernet) is unsupported, and it will stay that way. You can get it turned on in unsupported mode, just follow the instructions to do so. You can't get any help with making it work or fixing problems from D*. (you have to come here for that):)

As yet another person who was running it unsupported (and worked for many months with the group of people who were testing it), I can say that as well as the unsupported approach worked (it still costs you the same $3.00 per month), the DECA approach works better for me. Fewer glitches and smoother trick play, is how I would characterize it.

In my situation, I'm running both. I have two DVRs and one HD receiver on SWM and DECA. I have a 3rd DVR on a different dish, and it is integrated with the WHDVR system with a wireless gaming adapter. As such, there is no support for the 2nd dish (w/r to WHDVR), but at least if I choose to, I can view programming on it and from it. It doesn't work as well as the SWM/DECA setup, and I don't use it much that way. I have it setup so I can use it for WHDVR if I choose, but mostly because it was an interesting technical challenge.

I would strongly recommend going SWM/DECA. You get a better sat signal (as a side benefit), and WHDVR works somewhat better.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#8 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

If you have a well architected wired LAN with 'current' equipment (switches/router/etc.) then while the configuration is officially unsupported by D it should work just fine. I have 2 HD DVR's and 2 HD rcvr's that have all been running MRV flawlessly on my existing network since MRV was first made available.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:38 AM

I agree a DECA/SWM configuration will provide better overall service. However I also agree a good home network can support satisfactory MRV for most people, most of the time.

I actually have a hybrid system. I've got 3 DVRs and two receivers on SWM/DECA, plus another DVR not on that system. The DECA cloud is connected to my LAN, as is the fourth DVR, and all play together.

#10 OFFLINE   eph3

eph3

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:38 PM

Thanks for all of the info and feedback here! I do have a very stable home network, and as I mentioned in my original post I was regularly using it for my ReplayTV DVRs to communicate to each other as well as stream content back and forth.

At the very least I will integrate a SWM8 unit with HR-24 and try MRV over my existing network after turning on the service with D*. To me, the added complexity and components for D's DECA network is a concern, adding multiple new potential points of failure. I may end up going to that configuration, but I'm going to test with my existing network infrastructure first.

Thanks!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

To me, the added complexity and components for D's DECA network is a concern, adding multiple new potential points of failure.

Thanks!

I've been using it for about 18 months and it/they aren't/haven't been a "concern".
Actually I might have had more problems using ethernet. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

If your current wired network is stable and you were using it to distribute video before then you should have no trouble using it for MRV. While theoretically SWM/DECA may at some point in the future allow you to do something that you can't currently do over a well architected wired network, I have yet to see any indication of that capability being rolled out anytime soon.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#13 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

Keep in mind your replay equipment was streaming SD, not HD. Big difference in bandwidth.

#14 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

Keep in mind your replay equipment was streaming SD, not HD. Big difference in bandwidth.

Yes, HD is about 6 to 7 times larger than SD.
Here's My Setup

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:44 PM

Yes, HD is about 6 to 7 times larger than SD.

Bandwidth ratio is about 5 to 1 for HD to SD.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Well, I had heard 6.5 to 1 but maybe that was MPEG-2 and not MPEG-4!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#17 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

As long as he has a well architected wired LAN it will be able to EASILY handle HD. A 100 Mbps wired LAN has plenty of bandwidth. My wiring is all CAT 5e and all my switches and my router support 1000 Mbps. Note that the Ethernet ports on the D equipment is currently only 100 Mbps.

Again, any technical benefit of SWM/DECA, outside of the benefits of ease of installation and ease of support, which are benefits for D and their installers not directly benefits for the consumer, are currently only "specification" benefits and are not being utilized by anything D is currently doing or has even announced intention of doing.

It was actually interesting if you watched the most recent D investor briefing, their chief technologist admitted that one of the reasons they went with running the network traffic over the coax lines (made possible by DECA) was that the installers understood how to work with coax.

Edited by mjwagner, 20 December 2010 - 05:30 PM.
Corrected typo, should have been 100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps.

Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

As long as he has a well architected wired LAN it will be able to EASILY handle HD. A 10 Mbps wired LAN has plenty of bandwidth. My wiring is all CAT 5e and all my switches and my router support 100 Mbps. Note that the Ethernet ports on the D equipment is currently only 10 Mbps.

Not sure where you got this, but it isn't correct.
MPEG-4 HD normally "averages" around 9 Mb/s, but can be 16 Mb/s and trickplay can be over 30 Mb/s, so the receiver IS USING 100 Mb/s ports.
"All you need to do is" use DirecTV2PC and monitor your network to see these.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

Sorry about that...my fault for trying to do many things at once this afternoon. That should have been 100 Mbps and 1000 Mbps (Gigabit Ethernet). Sorry if I confused anybody.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

If your having them upgrade equipment anyway, just go deca now.. It'd be more expensive latter i have a feeling.. And there is ZERO reason not to go deca... There are POSSIBLE downsides to not going deca... Thats as simple as I can put it...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...