Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

It might need to be a USB 2.0 hub if it isn't one...

Also... not all USB hubs are created equally. As we have discussed before, for other reasons... the USB spec is not firmly defined regarding power... so it is possible to have a "powered" USB hub that does not provide sufficient power to connected devices.

As an example... I have an iMac, a powered USB hub, an iPad, and an iPhone.

My iPhone will connect via hub or direct to the iMac. My iPad will do the same.

BUT...

My iPad will only charge when directly connected to the iMac. The iPad will not charge through my powered hub. My iPhone, however, will charge via the hub.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

You forgot about software what is controlling the charge - your ipad build that way, not the hubs.

#223 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

That is my thinking also. This hub I have is 1.1 so its fine for the harddrive but won't power the sling in any of the usb plugs. I am thinking I need a new hub that is powered and at less 2.0 high speed.

#224 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:13 PM

any takes on which hub to get?

#225 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

I would go with 2.0 only; and with power connector (better with power adapter, just remember the rule: 5VDC and 0.5A x number of ports, for seven - 3.5 A).

#226 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:47 PM

the hub is old about three years old. Does the hub need to be 2.0 or higher. Just over thinking maybe.

Yes, both the sling adapter and even the EHD specs says it need a USB 2.0, that is more than likely the casue as I know for sure mine is 2.0!

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#227 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:18 AM

You forgot about software what is controlling the charge - your ipad build that way, not the hubs.

My fault for injecting the iPad off-topic (even though I used it for an example)...

but, while I'm off-topic...

The iPad firmware/software and build has nothing to do with it. The iPad battery requires more current to charge than the iPhone... and the simple truth is that the powered hub I have does not provide the same amount of power as does a USB port directly on my computer.

FYI, some computers won't charge an iPad either... same reason.

We've had this discussion before... and I've seen nothing in the USB spec that specifies all USB ports must provide a certain level of power... Voltage is specified, but current is not... which results in quite a bit of variance in implementations of USB... and thus why some powered USB hubs work and others do not.

Dish receivers are a good example actually... because while Dish does support the WIFI USB adapter and Sling Adapter, which are powered by the receiver via USB... Dish does not support external USB hard drives that require power from USB... this is because Dish went with an implementation of USB that does not supply enough power to support those devices.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Sling Adapter topic...

#228 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

If we will stay off-topic for short time... I know how FW working with different sources, include HUBs, computers, genuine power supply, third party supply etc. From first hand.
And I did explain to you that USB spec for powered and non-powered hubs.

In case you don't bother to remember (OK, not for you personally, but for reading ppl) - it is 500 mA per port of powered USB or root hubs on boards.

100mA per non-powered USB socket.

#229 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

If we will stay off-topic for short time... I know how FW working with different sources, include HUBs, computers, genuine power supply, third party supply etc. From first hand.
And I did explain to you that USB spec for powered and non-powered hubs.

In case you don't bother to remember (OK, not for you personally, but for reading ppl) - it is 500 mA per port of powered USB or root hubs on boards.

100mA per non-powered USB socket.

IF all powered USB ports were the same... then devices that require power from them wouldn't have a problem working in them or charging from them. The device can't tell if it is connected to a hub port vs directly to a computer port. Also, not all computer USB ports provide proper power.

So... either the spec is not rigid in terms of specifying power supply on USB ports OR nobody is enforcing the spec... Either way, that's how we get to where we are with some powered USB ports providing more power than others.

edit:
FYI... From what I can tell, the information you posted isn't quite accurate. It looks to me like the USB spec only mentions a range of power... which means a minimum current is specified, but the maximum (the 500 mA you mention) is not required to be compliant with the USB spec. Thus... we get USB ports that can support a mouse and keyboard and some other things but not higher-power requiring devices.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 28 May 2011 - 12:58 PM.

#230 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

FYI, the process of getting max current is negotiable. I.e. done during enumeration. E.G. by software what on both side knows what the USB HUB/port can do.

#231 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:53 PM

I don't have my new Sling adapter working yet.

I do see the red light now. I didn't see it until I plugged it in using a powered USB hub, and ok'd the Sling popup on my TV.

When I go to Dish Online and select Live TV, I get: "Your Slingbox has been disconnected because of a poor network connection (43). Please try connecting again." With DRA I get: "Your Sling Adapter encountered some difficulties (Error 46)."

Is this because TV2 is in use?

Note, my internet speed is currently 268 kbs up and 2251 kbs down, just tested.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#232 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

I don't have my new Sling adapter working yet.

I do see the red light now. I didn't see it until I plugged it in using a powered USB hub, and ok'd the Sling popup on my TV.

When I go to Dish Online and select Live TV, I get: "Your Slingbox has been disconnected because of a poor network connection (43). Please try connecting again." With DRA I get: "Your Sling Adapter encountered some difficulties (Error 46)."

Is this because TV2 is in use?

Note, my internet speed is currently 268 kbs up and 2251 kbs down, just tested.

Yes, TV2 in use is what is causing the problem. Try your remote viewing again when TV2 is off. If someone tries to access TV2 while sling is in operation, they will get the error message.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#233 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:56 PM

Yes, TV2 in use is what is causing the problem.

What do you mean by "in use"? Shouldn't the adapter switch to Dual mode, if it's not already, then connect?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#234 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

I haven't tried this lately on my 922... but I don't think you are supposed to be able to Sling remotely when a recording is in progress on TV2 tuner.

You wouldn't want your Sling session to cause you to abort a recording from a timer you had set previously... so I think it is supposed to be smart enough to reject the connection if that tuner is already in use.

Meanwhile... I also noted he said his upload speed is 268kbps... I'm not sure if that will give a very good Sling experience except inside his home network.

#235 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:21 PM

Yeah, I agree about the recording on TV2 while trying to connect. On a side note, I've been pretty disappointed with the adapter. When it connects, TV1 goes dark, at least most of the time. Logging out of the Sling and returning to Single mode usually takes a reboot to get back full functionality. This could be an issue with the 722k rather than the Sling, however. I'm still experimenting. In any event, I'm glad it's free.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#236 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

I don't think 268k up will cut it. Even if you get it working, it will look terrible unless you're watching on something really small like an iPhone.

#237 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

My speed isn't much greater than (not then) that and it looks great on my widescreen laptop.

#238 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

Yes, TV2 in use is what is causing the problem. Try your remote viewing again when TV2 is off. If someone tries to access TV2 while sling is in operation, they will get the error message.

Thanks, Mary. That's what I thought.

What do you mean by "in use"? Shouldn't the adapter switch to Dual mode, if it's not already, then connect?

I always have it in Dual mode. The key is that TV2 was being watched.

Now that my wife has gone to bed, and TV2 was "turned off", I gave it a try. Although TV2 was recording a movie, I was able connect from either DishOnline or DRA and watch the recording in progress. It "optimized" at around 4000 kbs.

When I tried to watch something on the DVR, however, it just switched TV1 to that selection and IE came up error. If TV1 is "turned off" it just shows the IE error.

Ok, I tried it again using Dish Remote Access, getting to it from dishnetwork.com. It works as advertised. TV1 was watching one thing. TV2 was recording a movie. And I was able to watch a prerecorded event on my DVR on my computer. It looked pretty good full screen on my widescreen 24" 1080p monitor. :)

Edited by bnborg, 29 May 2011 - 12:11 AM.

#239 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

I always have it in Dual mode. The key is that TV2 was being watched.
Now that my wife has gone to bed, and TV2 was "turned off", I gave it a try.

Are you stating that TV2 was not recording but being "watched"?

#240 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

Are you stating that TV2 was not recording but being "watched"?

Yes. Having it "turned on" (blue led lit) is what prevents connection. When I looked at what was being displayed as a "screen saver" there was a warning about it being watched remotely. It also said that if you pressed Select it would disable remote watching.

Having TV2 recording was not a problem. I could still watch it. In DRA, I was able to watch a recording on the DVR while TV2 was recording, and while TV1 was displaying a recording.

spam firewall