Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:27 PM

Yes. Having it "turned on" (blue led lit) is what prevents connection. When I looked at what was being displayed as a "screen saver" there was a warning about it being watched remotely. It also said that if you pressed Select it would disable remote watching.

Having TV2 recording was not a problem. I could still watch it. In DRA, I was able to watch a recording on the DVR while TV2 was recording, and while TV1 was displaying a recording.

If you got a message that it was being watched remotely, it was connected. :confused:
Blue led being lit means nothing more than it's in Dual mode.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

If you got a message that it was being watched remotely, it was connected. :confused:
Blue led being lit means nothing more than it's in Dual mode.

No, The blue LED has to be off in order to connect to the Sling adapter. Once you have connected it turns on.

I just verified it on mine. The blue LED lit up after I clicked on "Live-TV" on DRA. I was able to change to an OTA cannel and watch it on my computer. Of course there are more direct ways of doing that, and without a Sling adapter. An OTA tuner for your computer can be purchased for less than $99, but some cost more. :)
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#243 OFFLINE   cabman

cabman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:20 PM

My Sling adapter has never worked. It always says it is "booting." Will it ever finish booting or is something wrong?

#244 OFFLINE   srrobinson2

srrobinson2

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have a 722 receiver with sling adapter connected directly to fiber connection (no modem/router). It leases public IP address and works with DishOnline via PC, but it will not work with iPhone app (Verizon iPhone 4).

I called tech support.. No joy there. They are stumped. Thoughts?

Btw, tried using an ipod touch with same negative result.
[Signature removed by request because it contained too much useful information.]

#245 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:55 PM

I ordered my Adapter 3 days ago and got it today. Went online and was able to watch in highest quality (have fast TWC connection, 25/1 Mbps), looked flawless. I then installed the Dish Remote app on my Optimus-V with home WiFi, and connected and looked great on Standard quality ("great" being relative.... 3" screen compared to 22" PC screen, compared to 50" plasma). Will test 3G connection tomorrow, don't expect much there. This looks much better than Neflix on my phone, about the same on a PC, although is much slower to start up than Netflix.

Went online and the rebate request button had been added, clicked 2 buttons and got "Your reward has successfully been redeemed..." I'm one happy camper! :D

edit: Doesn't work so well on 3G. I currently have .75/.5 Mbps and I can access shows, but it doesn't stream well (at all).

Edited by tcatdbs, 23 June 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#246 OFFLINE   apinkel

apinkel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:34 AM

I have a 722 receiver with sling adapter connected directly to fiber connection (no modem/router). It leases public IP address and works with DishOnline via PC, but it will not work with iPhone app (Verizon iPhone 4).

I called tech support.. No joy there. They are stumped. Thoughts?

Btw, tried using an ipod touch with same negative result.

When you say it will not work, are you able to sign in but the streaming doesn't work or are you even able to sign in?

#247 OFFLINE   rafale2010

rafale2010

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

I recently connected the Sling adapter to my 722 receiver. It works fine when my device (computer or Android Phone) is connected to the same wifi/wired network as the dish receiver. The problem appears when I'm try to access it while on the road from say Hotel or work wifi. When I try through phone, I get:
"Connection Failed, Please make sure that Dish receiver and Android device are connected to Internet",

but when I try on my PC, it is more descriptive and says:
" You were streaming from your device, but streaming was interrupted. (Error 44) (40).
Please wait one minute and reconnect. If you keep seeing this message, reboot your device"

I can see the list of recordings on my DVR, but it does not play anything - recorded or live. I have tried manual Port Range Forwarding and forwarded port 5101 to Dish receiver static IP and also tried enabling the UPnP service on my router so it automatically forwards the port to the correct IP, and I can see that requests coming in at port 5101 - but still it does not work. Always get "Connection failed".

I'm using a Linksys router and Motorola Cable Modem and Comcast is ISP.

#248 OFFLINE   Chevy1965

Chevy1965

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Just got mine today and it worked right out of the box with a direct connection, but I have to say, this does not compare to my slingbox. I truly expected this to be just like the sling interface (Full access to all features and funtions just like I am watching my tv at home) and I guess that is what disappointed me. I thought is was going to be a USB attached slingbox. Bad misconception, but it does what it is advertised to do.

Seems to be fine for watching off TV2 in Single Mode but..I just started watching a DVR recording while TV2 was recording and it started the playback on TV1 which locked up my Plasma to the playback and disabled my real remote control. I couldn't get control of my 722! After I disconnected from the web interface, I was able to stop the playback and get control of TV1 via the remote control. I don't think taking over TV1 should never happen. It should be invisible to TV1 to make this valuable.

I probably will never use the adapter, but it was free and I had one 722 without a sling, so I gave it a try. I will try it again when it gets more stable, but this really seems like it was released way before it was ready. This was a good effort by dish and it may get better, but it needed to be seamless. Too many caveats. Too many conflicts. I feel sorry for the people trying to make this work off wireless.

Sorry for the rant. I just expected something else when I saw the sling logo. The logo is as close as you get to a resemblence. This is not sling. They should have called it a Dish Shift Adapter and left sling out of it. You can't access it from any of the sling interfaces, so why use the word sling? Yea, I know they own sling.

If they can make it seamless and make it so you don't affect TV1, it actually has a benefit over sling because it wouldn't affect my home users while I am watching remotely. I would think they should be able to get all functions working too, just like I was watching from TV2 in dual mode with a remote from my bedroom. I will keep my hopes up. I am sure it will get there.

#249 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Dish needs to SERIOUSLY consider making the Sling Adapter the same as the Sling HD PRO or whatever it is, i.e. use the same software for both and use the Sling interface for the Sling Adapter.

Sling Adapter interface is PITIFUL!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#250 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

I recently connected the Sling adapter to my 722 receiver. It works fine when my device (computer or Android Phone) is connected to the same wifi/wired network as the dish receiver. The problem appears when I'm try to access it while on the road from say Hotel or work wifi. When I try through phone, I get:
"Connection Failed, Please make sure that Dish receiver and Android device are connected to Internet",

but when I try on my PC, it is more descriptive and says:
" You were streaming from your device, but streaming was interrupted. (Error 44) (40).
Please wait one minute and reconnect. If you keep seeing this message, reboot your device"

I can see the list of recordings on my DVR, but it does not play anything - recorded or live. I have tried manual Port Range Forwarding and forwarded port 5101 to Dish receiver static IP and also tried enabling the UPnP service on my router so it automatically forwards the port to the correct IP, and I can see that requests coming in at port 5101 - but still it does not work. Always get "Connection failed".

I'm using a Linksys router and Motorola Cable Modem and Comcast is ISP.

I have the EXACT same problem! I have everything it seems. My Sling adapter status says booting all the time. The reciever recognizes it when I connect it, but I never get a red light. I try using with my phone, but once I connect to my reciever it gives me the same error message (android). I can see my dvr so it must be connected to the internet, but I can't get it to stream...The sling adapter worked one time. I since then replaced a network cable since the dog got ahold of it. And no connection! I've checked internet status is good and all so it's not the new cable....HELP!!!!

#251 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

sorry got to post so I can get to PM...need this resolved

#252 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

sorry got to post so I can get to PM...need this resolved...I read through 10 pages and yet to find the answer...Although I notice people with very very similiar problems

#253 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

2 more post

#254 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:26 PM

ok I think its after 5, so last one....

#255 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

I have the EXACT same problem! I have everything it seems. My Sling adapter status says booting all the time. The reciever recognizes it when I connect it, but I never get a red light. I try using with my phone, but once I connect to my reciever it gives me the same error message (android). I can see my dvr so it must be connected to the internet, but I can't get it to stream...The sling adapter worked one time. I since then replaced a network cable since the dog got ahold of it. And no connection! I've checked internet status is good and all so it's not the new cable....HELP!!!!

Are you connecting the Sling Adapter directly to the DVR?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#256 OFFLINE   doctor41baller

doctor41baller

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

yes to the VIP722..tried both front and back USB

#257 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

If you're connecting directly to the 722 and not getting a red light on the Sling Adapter, more than likely you've got a bad adapter.

#258 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,719 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Is it a lemon by design ?

#259 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

You know what they say about life giving you lemons, right? Hey free lemons!!!

#260 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,719 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

What about free sh!t ?! :D

spam firewall