Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

Well I had my second technician here today and still no luck. I have my third service appointment coming in 1 week on Monday Dec 27. I had to laugh, my first technician had never even seen a Sling Adapter before, he asked me what it was and what it was for. The second wondered aloud why his boss sent him when he wasn't really trained on them either. They played with the plugs a little and tried the same things that have already been done a hundred times, and then said they were sorry and that someone else would have to come. Sigh.

Edited by bshaf, 21 December 2010 - 08:10 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

If you take the sling out of the mix for the moment, can you access your DVR online at all, like remote control (play/pause/ffwd, etc.) or scheduling recordings? You should be able to do those things without a sling. If you can't, the problem is your LAN (router blocking something). I initially had remote access problems because I never named my DVR online. Have you tried that?

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Does this mean that SlingAdaptor support on the Vip622 is coming?? Did I miss an announcement? :confused:

You see real spool info - I wouldn't questioned it;
perhaps someone with Sling box and other model then 722k could do quick check easy and to answer to the question.

#24 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

If you take the sling out of the mix for the moment, can you access your DVR online at all, like remote control (play/pause/ffwd, etc.) or scheduling recordings? You should be able to do those things without a sling. If you can't, the problem is your LAN (router blocking something). I initially had remote access problems because I never named my DVR online. Have you tried that?

It has nothing to do for upgrade SW inside of the Sling box.

#25 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:17 PM

It has nothing to do for upgrade SW inside of the Sling box.

:confused:

#26 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

I appreciate the try, but I as I already stated above:

I can remotely control my TV, set the DVR to record, etc.. because my Slinglink Turbo makes that possible, but I have never been able to watch any TV on any of my devices (ipad, iphone, laptop), or in any browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), these have all been updated and have the appropriate plugins.

I have given a nickname to my TV/receiver and still nothing. I wish it were that simple.

Edited by bshaf, 20 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#27 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

No progress since my last post. No updates, sling adapter not working.

For the record, everything works just fine except playing video on the web or android. I can see the "Play on Web" link, but it won't play. Just black screen or random error messages. It did work in both browser and android the first few days after my sling adapter arrived.

When my adapter was working I could not see or edit the slingbox parts of the "Slingbox / Receiver Settings" in the "Preferences" tab in the remote access. Now I see the full list and ability to change from TV1/TV2 and change Slinbox ID (was listed as Finder ID until yesterday). So there are some software changes going on in the remote access Preferences tab.

By the way, when I login to dishonline.com instead of normal dishnetwork(sling.com) remote access, if I click "Play on web" it pops up and says "upgrade your DVR" with a link to buy the VIP 922. The option to add a Slingbox to my DVR profile does not work. i.e. nothing happens when I enter my Sling user name and password and click submit. (my sling username and password are the same as Dish Network and Dishonline.com since they imported from Dish Network.

Many changes going on on the Dish side. Remote access site changes frequently and tech support is not familiar with Sling Adapter. Buyer beware for a while...

#28 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

My Sling Adapter has never worked at all. I have never seen a Play on Web button on any device except my ipad, and when I click that, the screen turns black and says "Invalid Finder ID", which means it can't find the SA.

#29 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

Update, as of now, dishonline.com has been updated to recognize that my dvr has a sling adapter. When I went to play live TV or a show recorded on my DVR, it prompted me for a new version of the browser plugin which I installed. However, the black video play window pops up, and after 10 to 30 seconds it says "connected" instead of "connecting" but the screen remains blank/black. If I try again, I get the same random error messages as I get when accessing via Dish remote access page. Currently "There was a problem connecting to your Slingbox (2). Please try again later". Message error changes from time to time.

It's like my sling adapter is just not streaming video.

#30 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

:confused:

The OP has stated that remote connection to the DVR, Remote Scheduling, etc. all work fine except for the sling functions. P Smith has also provided some pretty compelling evidence that there is Sling-adapter specific s/w that is supposed to be pushed down to the DVRs but someone fat-fingered the rule syntax and until that is corrected it appears unlikely that the Sling Adapter will work on DVRs in those ranges.

#31 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thank you bobukcat, this is not an issue with the Dish Remote Access website. I can use it to do everything I could already do without the Sling Adapter, which is set my DVR, control my TV, view my guide, etc... peterfan, I don't think your problem is the same as mine. Your Sling has worked before and now the website is not playing video. That sounds like a router/firewall issue to me. My Sling Adapter has never worked, not even once. But I have had no trouble with the website itself in doing what I could already do before.

#32 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

They may be different issues. Especially since you cannot see the "Play on Web" button in remote access. But I am certain I do not have a router/firewall issue. I did not change anything there.

Also, they could be related to a bad software push. Since our sling status is the same. ie, my video won't play because my sling adapter no longer functions and the only reason I see the "Play on web" button was because my profile already had the sling working for a couple days after I got it.

Anyway, good luck. I think I will give it a week and then return the adapter since it does not function or play video as advertised.

#33 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

I just got off the phone with the Project Manager for the Sling Adapter from California. He says he knows that the problem is definitely the firmware, that for some reason the updated firmware is not getting to the Sling Adapter, it could be a cord issue. He said to give him a day or so to do some research into the problem. I'm hopeful that we may get somewhere now. I will keep you posted.

peterfan, my status says Updating, I think you said yours says None and I think your version is different too. You are right though, it is a software push issue and yours must have gotten stuck a little further ahead than mine.
Thanks

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

So, he's not willing to accept (or just don't understand "regular expression" syntax) that error in spool header ? And who could think about such lame attempt to blame USB cable. Oh. Yeah ! Manager. I forgot it. :D

#35 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

The next time I speak with this guy, maybe tomorrow, I will be sure to bring up the spool rules syntax with the unbalanced square brackets.

Update: haven't heard anything yet, but have my next Dish tech appointment on Monday the 27th. My Sling Adapter has been plugged in for 4 days straight and still no luck. I wonder if engineering has checked their spool rule syntax yet?

Edited by bshaf, 23 December 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

After several weeks of having a non working sling adapter, it suddenly started working. I had left it unplugged for several days. On Christmas morning, I plugged it in. No red light, no nothing, not surprised and went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Came back and looked and the red light was on. Logged on and it was working. It now has been working for the last day and a half with no problems. I am wondering if they did a software push to the 722 on Friday. Seems odd after all this time that it would just start working. Just wanted to let everyone know.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Jerry, please check what SW version it running this time.

#38 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

L672. I can't explain why it has all of a sudden started to work.

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,769 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

I mean Sling SW, not the DVR itself.

#40 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered