Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:28 PM

I appreciate the try, but I as I already stated above:

I can remotely control my TV, set the DVR to record, etc.. because my Slinglink Turbo makes that possible, but I have never been able to watch any TV on any of my devices (ipad, iphone, laptop), or in any browser (IE, Firefox, Safari, Chrome), these have all been updated and have the appropriate plugins.

I have given a nickname to my TV/receiver and still nothing. I wish it were that simple.

Edited by bshaf, 20 December 2010 - 07:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

No progress since my last post. No updates, sling adapter not working.

For the record, everything works just fine except playing video on the web or android. I can see the "Play on Web" link, but it won't play. Just black screen or random error messages. It did work in both browser and android the first few days after my sling adapter arrived.

When my adapter was working I could not see or edit the slingbox parts of the "Slingbox / Receiver Settings" in the "Preferences" tab in the remote access. Now I see the full list and ability to change from TV1/TV2 and change Slinbox ID (was listed as Finder ID until yesterday). So there are some software changes going on in the remote access Preferences tab.

By the way, when I login to dishonline.com instead of normal dishnetwork(sling.com) remote access, if I click "Play on web" it pops up and says "upgrade your DVR" with a link to buy the VIP 922. The option to add a Slingbox to my DVR profile does not work. i.e. nothing happens when I enter my Sling user name and password and click submit. (my sling username and password are the same as Dish Network and Dishonline.com since they imported from Dish Network.

Many changes going on on the Dish side. Remote access site changes frequently and tech support is not familiar with Sling Adapter. Buyer beware for a while...

#28 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

My Sling Adapter has never worked at all. I have never seen a Play on Web button on any device except my ipad, and when I click that, the screen turns black and says "Invalid Finder ID", which means it can't find the SA.

#29 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

Update, as of now, dishonline.com has been updated to recognize that my dvr has a sling adapter. When I went to play live TV or a show recorded on my DVR, it prompted me for a new version of the browser plugin which I installed. However, the black video play window pops up, and after 10 to 30 seconds it says "connected" instead of "connecting" but the screen remains blank/black. If I try again, I get the same random error messages as I get when accessing via Dish remote access page. Currently "There was a problem connecting to your Slingbox (2). Please try again later". Message error changes from time to time.

It's like my sling adapter is just not streaming video.

#30 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

:confused:

The OP has stated that remote connection to the DVR, Remote Scheduling, etc. all work fine except for the sling functions. P Smith has also provided some pretty compelling evidence that there is Sling-adapter specific s/w that is supposed to be pushed down to the DVRs but someone fat-fingered the rule syntax and until that is corrected it appears unlikely that the Sling Adapter will work on DVRs in those ranges.

#31 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:24 AM

Thank you bobukcat, this is not an issue with the Dish Remote Access website. I can use it to do everything I could already do without the Sling Adapter, which is set my DVR, control my TV, view my guide, etc... peterfan, I don't think your problem is the same as mine. Your Sling has worked before and now the website is not playing video. That sounds like a router/firewall issue to me. My Sling Adapter has never worked, not even once. But I have had no trouble with the website itself in doing what I could already do before.

#32 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:52 PM

They may be different issues. Especially since you cannot see the "Play on Web" button in remote access. But I am certain I do not have a router/firewall issue. I did not change anything there.

Also, they could be related to a bad software push. Since our sling status is the same. ie, my video won't play because my sling adapter no longer functions and the only reason I see the "Play on web" button was because my profile already had the sling working for a couple days after I got it.

Anyway, good luck. I think I will give it a week and then return the adapter since it does not function or play video as advertised.

#33 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

I just got off the phone with the Project Manager for the Sling Adapter from California. He says he knows that the problem is definitely the firmware, that for some reason the updated firmware is not getting to the Sling Adapter, it could be a cord issue. He said to give him a day or so to do some research into the problem. I'm hopeful that we may get somewhere now. I will keep you posted.

peterfan, my status says Updating, I think you said yours says None and I think your version is different too. You are right though, it is a software push issue and yours must have gotten stuck a little further ahead than mine.
Thanks

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:56 PM

So, he's not willing to accept (or just don't understand "regular expression" syntax) that error in spool header ? And who could think about such lame attempt to blame USB cable. Oh. Yeah ! Manager. I forgot it. :D

#35 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

The next time I speak with this guy, maybe tomorrow, I will be sure to bring up the spool rules syntax with the unbalanced square brackets.

Update: haven't heard anything yet, but have my next Dish tech appointment on Monday the 27th. My Sling Adapter has been plugged in for 4 days straight and still no luck. I wonder if engineering has checked their spool rule syntax yet?

Edited by bshaf, 23 December 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

After several weeks of having a non working sling adapter, it suddenly started working. I had left it unplugged for several days. On Christmas morning, I plugged it in. No red light, no nothing, not surprised and went to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. Came back and looked and the red light was on. Logged on and it was working. It now has been working for the last day and a half with no problems. I am wondering if they did a software push to the 722 on Friday. Seems odd after all this time that it would just start working. Just wanted to let everyone know.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Jerry, please check what SW version it running this time.

#38 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:38 PM

L672. I can't explain why it has all of a sudden started to work.

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

I mean Sling SW, not the DVR itself.

#40 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:23 PM

Where do I find that?

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

see post #12
and this

#42 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

It is AAAYCAAL.

#43 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

Well technician number 3 just left. They're saying now that it is something between my broadband internet provider (Verizon) and the receiver that isn't allowing the software update through. I asked him about the spool rule syntax thing, and he said that isn't the issue. He said Dish will have to communicate with Verizon to try and pinpoint why for whatever reason in my area the Sling Adapter software isn't making it to my receiver. So now I have been through 3 techs, 3 sling adapters, 3 receivers, and about 5 support sessions with Dish. I can imagine Verizon is going to be real receptive to hearing that my Dish Network problem is their fault. I really want this to work, but I'm doubtful that it ever will.

#44 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Well technician number 3 just left. They're saying now that it is something between my broadband internet provider (Verizon) and the receiver that isn't allowing the software update through. I asked him about the spool rule syntax thing, and he said that isn't the issue. He said Dish will have to communicate with Verizon to try and pinpoint why for whatever reason in my area the Sling Adapter software isn't making it to my receiver. So now I have been through 3 techs, 3 sling adapters, 3 receivers, and about 5 support sessions with Dish. I can imagine Verizon is going to be real receptive to hearing that my Dish Network problem is their fault. I really want this to work, but I'm doubtful that it ever will.

So now the Dish Tech thinks that the DVR is trying to D/L software via the Lan connection? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's incorrect and used this as an excuse because they really don't know what the issue is. I say this because I don't know of any other occurrence where a E* receiver pulls s/w via the internet.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,383 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

Theoretically the DL is possible do via Internet, but so far only one DVR, not satellite type - OTA, DTVPal DVR [TR-50] has the ability. I would say because it was designed in UK by Eldon (now part of E*). Adding to that really existing spool of Sling version 0026 at 119W tp 19 ...

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

The nice thing about my Slingbox PRO-HD is that I didn't have to rely upon some tech at my home to set it up.

The bad thing about my Slingbox PRO-HD is that essentially there is no technical support one can rely on to resolve problems between the box, the router, the modem, and the ISP.

The true thing about the Slingbox PRO-HD is that it didn't sell well to the general population, a lot of whom don't know what a modem or router is, much less what an IP address is.

And that's the rub for Dish. For many (most?) customers, keeping the receiver/DVR working is a mystery. Based on my experience, that is also true for some field techs. Now add to it a different world - the internet - and the chances of effective support decline substantially.

Dish added to its lineup "plugin" Slingbox and Google TV devices (both basically beta versions) within the same year. I expected there would be significant problems and minimal effective technical support.

I'm actually pretty impressed that we're not seeing more rants about all this on this Forum. Maybe it's because, on average, Forum members are more technologically skilled, but even so it still surprises me.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   tpbrady

tpbrady

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have been battling the same problems with the SlingAdapters, 922s, and DISH Remote Access for more than a month. We have never gotten either a 922 or SlingAdapter to work correctly providing remote access to a computer via DISH Remote Access. This is using 3 different ISP's, 3 different networks with internet connections speeds up to 3 mbps. It makes no difference whether the computer is attached to the same network as the SlingAdapter/922 or a remote network. On rare occasions such as the last full moon it has worked for about 3 hours and then stopped. Strangely, it has worked very reliability providing mobile access to the both the IPhone SlingBox App (922 only) and DISH Remote Access App (922 and SlingAdapter). For example, on my IPhone operating on my home WiFi network, I have connected to both a SlingAdapter and 922 without any issues. I was not able to connect to the same devices on a notebook computer attached to the same network.

In the case of remote computer access, it generally fails during the authentication phase. Due to copyright restrictions, I suspect the Sling device needs to set up some type of secure connection between the remote computer and the Sling device. It's the failure of this secure connection that is killing the process and it is likely that failure of this link maybe ISP related or timing related. I don't really believe DISH or Sling has properly tested these devices the way consumers would use them.

In addition, when you add Google TV to the mix, things looks a little shaky. For example the recommended means of connecting a 722 or 922 to Google TV is through the ethernet port on the Google TV appliance. Google TV then bridges the receiver to your router over wireless. You can't do this type of bridge unless you disconnect the home plug adapter tied to your router if you happen to have one, since the receiver defaults to the home plug for network connection (At least I haven't found a way to turn it off in the receiver. Once an ethernet cable is connected and the adapter gets an address, you can connect the homeplug adapter at the router again.) However, when you set things up this way, the limited success I had with the SlingAdapter connecting to my Iphone then doesn't work any more. The only solution I found, was installing a small ethernet switch behind my television, connecting everything there, and then hardwiring it to my router.

The last issue started yesterday, my 722 became extremely unstable and slow and the off air tuner refused to work. After two hard resets with poor results, I disconnected the SlingAdapter and reset again. The receiver then recovered normally.

I really don't think either of these devices is ready for prime time. Google has realized this based on today's press reports. I don't think DISH techs in the fields are ready for this either.

#48 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

I HAVE A WORKING SLING ADAPTER!!!!!!!
The problem, as discovered by Justin from Dish, Platform Manager for the Sling products, was that both my modem and router were trying to pull IP addresses. We discovered this because he had me check my Dish On Demand to see if it was connecting and surprisingly I had no movie data in there. It was a matter of putting my modem into bridge mode and disabling LAN DHCP. This had been done a long time ago, but somehow it reset itself, maybe a power outage. My internet connection never skipped a beat and was working just fine, so I would have never thought to check that.

I'm watching TV online now and I hope someone else can get help from this post. So if your Sling Adapter doesn't connect from the day you get it, check your modem settings and make sure it is set to bridge mode. Call your ISP if you need help.

I'm thrilled with the support I got from Dish, they didn't give up on me until it was fixed. I'm a customer for life. Thanks everyone for your help.

#49 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Well it was a nice few days. Got up this morning and no red light on sling adapter. Try to connect through ipod and nothing. I checked dish on demand and there are movies loaded in it. Also checked broadband settings in menu and shows receiver is online. Also shows ip address. This thing is undependable.

#50 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

Well, I hope yours works for longer than the two days mine worked.

My sling adapter is still dead. Just for kicks, I got a 50ft LAN cord direct from my fiber router to my DVR. No luck. By playing with port forwarding rules I can create various different Sling errors, 2, 16, 38, but they appear to be rather random anyway. I still can never get it to play video like it was the first 48 hours after it arrived.

BTW, TCP port 5101 is the port the sling adapter auto configures for itself on my router. Adding UDP and/or 5001 port forwarding rules had no impact on the error messages when I click "Watch Live TV" or "Play on Web".

I had a quick chat AGAIN with support. They tried to tell me I cannot return or exchange my adapter. WTF? Nice try, my purchase receipt says 30-day return and 1 year warranty. Time to get on the phone and return this paperweight.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...