Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

So, I have successfully negotiated a return and refund of my Sling Adapter. At first I was told it cannot be returned. I produced my online receipt for the Sling Adapter which appears under "My Shipments" in dishnetwork.com My Account. And it clearly says 30 days Refundable on the receipt with 1 year warranty.

So with that evidence, they put me on hold. Then told me I had to pay for shipping to send it back. WHAT? I think not. The device does not work as advertised and it is not a problem with my network. It just stopped working two days after it arrived. So I calmly mentioned my lawyer and recent incidents that show what happens when satellite TV providers charge for services they cannot provide in my state.

Next thing you know I am escalated a level higher. Wait on hold for 20 minutes and promptly informed that UPS will come to my door within 7 days with a prepaid package to return my defective Sling Adapter to Dish Network at not cost to me. As it should be after all. The new shipment return also appears with a confirmation number in my "My Shipments" history online.

Don't ever let them make you pay to return a product that does not work as advertised.

My advice is to wait a few months. The Sling Adapter has issues. And for the most part Dish Network technical support and Sales staff don't even know what the device is yet. Understandable IMHO. I am happy to see Dish Network attempt to innovate their service with a pretty good concept product. Despite the customer service failures, it looks to be a good product and online service later in 2011. Sling adapter is a pretty good deal with a $99 one time fee and no additional monthly charges. Too bad it is not reliable yet and they have sketchy support and return policies. My bet is that will change since Dish Network owns Sling through a subsidiary. Better products and better support should appear some day.

Looking forward to a better product down the road. Maybe an upgrade to the VIP 922 receiver if they do away with the ridiculous extra monthly service fees. They say they charge higher monthly fees because you get more pretty menus with the 922, the extra cost for Sling is already included in the purchase price. Extra monthly fees for pretty menus? WHAT?

Overall I probably won't bite until the next generation of receivers with wifi connectivity and Sling built in. My VIP 722k is already the only device around my TV that does not have built in wireless. The TV and Blu Ray player have wifi built in. Another obvious quirk that bugs me about Dish Network products.

Edited by peterfan, 29 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.
I am spelling challenged

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

I see it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone was still have problems with the Sling Adapter. I apologize for the late response, but we were unable to create logins for a bit. If there are any concerns I can help, and my counterparts are also available via PM, etc. We have discovered some fixes that are unorthodox, but as of right now, we are at 100% fix rate.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 06 January 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Anthony Thomas
DISH Network Customer Service
2:45PM to 11:15PM Sunday-Thursday

#53 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

We're having trouble with our sling adapter and 722. Have been through 3 technical chats, 2 sling adapters, and have a second receiver on the way. The USB ports both work, it says the sling is detected and ready to use. When you go to system info, however, it says there is no sling adapter. The receiver is definitely online and I've been through every possible reset. All they could think of doing this time is sending me another receiver.

#54 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that. Its found by hitting Menu twice, second line down will be Receiver CAID.
Anthony Thomas

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that.

TonyT, if you missed first page/posts in the thread - would you mind if I remind you to look to that syntax errors [unbalanced square brackets in regular expression] in Sling FW spool posted at first page ? It's affect ALL receivers, I would expect to fix it instead of go with each one by PM.
We are at forum, not on p2p calls.

#56 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that. Its found by hitting Menu twice, second line down will be Receiver CAID.

*pm sent, thanks Tony

#57 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thank you for that information. Right now I have gotten to access DRA and can get the guide. The watch live TV option is now displaying a message that says "Our systems are being updated (7). Please wait a few minutes, and then try again." Have you seen that message ever?
Anthony Thomas

#58 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

that's all i've ever seen when trying to access the receiver

#59 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

TonyT, if you missed first page/posts in the thread - would you mind if I remind you to look to that syntax errors [unbalanced square brackets in regular expression] in Sling FW spool posted at first page ? It's affect ALL receivers, I would expect to fix it instead of go with each one by PM.
We are at forum, not on p2p calls.

As of right now, this does not affect all receivers or Sling Adapters. In fact, I am still batting 100% in getting these running. I did read the entire post though, and I am sure its possible that it affects some Sling Adapters or receivers. However, to say that it affects all of them is incorrect. I have personally gotten more online and active via direct troubleshooting and that is why I offered to help.
Anthony Thomas

#60 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

that's all i've ever seen when trying to access the receiver

How is the receiver connected to the internet? Is it directly connected via an Ethernet cable to a router or modem, or is it using some other type of device (wireless adapter/Home Plug Adapter/Slinglink)?
Anthony Thomas

#61 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

It's connected through ethernet to a linksys wrt54g router and rca cable modem (mediacom high speed internet)

#62 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

As of right now, this does not affect all receivers or Sling Adapters. In fact, I am still batting 100% in getting these running. I did read the entire post though, and I am sure its possible that it affects some Sling Adapters or receivers. However, to say that it affects all of them is incorrect. I have personally gotten more online and active via direct troubleshooting and that is why I offered to help.

Would you acknowledge that currently spooling Sling FW 0026 is not require for normal functioning of the adapter ? I saw a few posts here where ppl reported old FW version on those adapters and a status as "upgrading ...".
No one reported that his Sling got version 0026.

#63 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

I cannot confirm anything regarding the spooling, as I do not write code and have not in many many years. As to the update, it may be receiver specific for compatibility. To this point alone, I can only say that (as you read in this thread) one issue was resolved by configuring the router. Ducks issue looks to be power from the USB port on the receiver. Again, none suggest a spooling issue. The issues I have dealt with even go so far as a simple change on the account as to the order the receivers list on it. That being said, I still have not seen an issue with the adapter itself. I am not saying there aren't any, I am just saying I have not seen them myself.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 06 January 2011 - 11:28 PM.

Anthony Thomas

#64 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:37 PM

So, what you can tell about "No one reported that his Sling got version 0026" ?

#65 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

I will be sure to look for what version the next one is running. One thing I did see was that apparently another user reported that the logo was not "glowing" like it should. If it is not, I wanted to try to confirm it being a USB port issue on the receiver itself. It should glow when it gets power per the directions, not once its installed. This may be an oversight in the directions, but that is what it says. Could those of you with the issue where the logo is not glowing and it is not showing as connected, plug the Sling Adapter into any USB jack, on the front of the receiver, a computer, a modular cell phone charger (some chargers have a USB connection at the outlet) and see if the light turns on then? If it does, that confirms bad USB. If it does not, that means we can move to something different. USB devices use the same "pins" for power on all devices.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 07 January 2011 - 12:12 AM.

Anthony Thomas

#66 OFFLINE   Angel9096

Angel9096

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

Hi Tony,

I was wondering if maybe you had a solution to my problem. I purchased a Sling Adapter on 12/02/10 as a Christmas gift. We did not install it until 12/25/10 and I have not been able to get it to work. There is an open ticket number for the technicians to resolve the problem but no one has ever gotten back to me.
The Sling Adapter says that it is ready when it is plugged in on the front and on the back of our 722. It even says ready on the status. One time when I called a technician said that one of her coworkers had handled a similar issue and it was a problem with the DRA account. Another technician told me that I did not have a steady signal even though my broadband connection always said that it was connected.
Do you know of any solutions to this? I'm now past the 30 days and this thing has not worked since I took it out of the box :(

#67 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:14 AM

I would be happy to look into it. If it is a DRA account issue, I would need a receiver number (PM) so I can check it. Menu-menu will bring it up (Receiver CAID, second line from the top). I have seen that be an issue, but it is usually not the account itself, but more so some sort of "glitch" on our end where the information does not get sent to the account right. We can fix issues like that pretty quick if that is what it is.
Anthony Thomas

#68 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

I forgot about the 5 posts to PM, you can put the receiver number in the thread and I can help you with it. Its not really privy information, as nothing can really be done with it by itself. But, if you do feel more comfortable with PMing the information, you can post the 5 times required and PM it to me.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 07 January 2011 - 12:41 AM.

Anthony Thomas

#69 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

Tony- Is there anything you can do to get my sling adapter working? I have called twice and I am told they will fill out a TSR and I should be working in 24-72 hours. The next day it will start working and work for about a day then back to no red light on the logo. The longest it has worked has been 3 days. When it is not working the adapter status shows booting all the time. Could this be a receiver issue?

#70 OFFLINE   Angel9096

Angel9096

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I would be happy to look into it. If it is a DRA account issue, I would need a receiver number (PM) so I can check it. Menu-menu will bring it up (Receiver CAID, second line from the top). I have seen that be an issue, but it is usually not the account itself, but more so some sort of "glitch" on our end where the information does not get sent to the account right. We can fix issues like that pretty quick if that is what it is.

The system actually won't let me send you a PM because I do not have 5 posts yet. Can you possibly PM me?

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,651 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

I forgot about the 5 posts to PM, you can put the receiver number in the thread and I can help you with it. Its not really privy information, as nothing can really be done with it by itself. But, if you do feel more comfortable with PMing the information, you can post the 5 times required and PM it to me.

PLEASE do not make five posts to work around the no PMs for newbees rule. There is a good chance we'll close the account for spamming, as many spammers do that to work around the rules.

If anyone with less than five posts is uncomfortable posting a receiver ID in a public thread it can also be forwarded via a moderator (any moderator). Moderators can receive PMs from anyone and we're willing to help.

#72 OFFLINE   andrew40

andrew40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:25 AM

EXACT same issue as the original poster...never got a red light when I hooked the adapter up but did get the confirmation on screen. 2 tech chats later and countless reboots of everything and I still don't even get an option to watch tv on my laptop. On the iphone, at least, it gives me the option but then tries to 'activate' the receiver before I get a black screen and the 'Invalid FinderID' message.

Tony, could I send you my receiver info as well? I'll forward it a moderator and ask if they wouldn't mind sending it on. Thanks in advance!

#73 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:35 AM

If anyone with less than five posts is uncomfortable posting a receiver ID in a public thread it can also be forwarded via a moderator (any moderator). Moderators can receive PMs from anyone and we're willing to help.

James,

This begs the question about the person receiving the data. It has been frequently said, and I have been told personally, that Dish rank and file employees do not read nor respond to on-line forums.

Recently there have been a few persons that are at least saying they are Dish employees posting on forums. Is this a change in Dish policy? Do they speak for Dish?

PS I have no reason to believe that they are not Dish employees, just surprised they do state so.

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,651 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:28 AM

This begs the question about the person receiving the data. It has been frequently said, and I have been told personally, that Dish rank and file employees do not read nor respond to on-line forums.

Recently there have been a few persons that are at least saying they are Dish employees posting on forums. Is this a change in Dish policy? Do they speak for Dish?

PS I have no reason to believe that they are not Dish employees, just surprised they do state so.

Policies change. Apparently DISH has decided to take the Internet more seriously and openly participate. That being said, I don't speak for DISH and don't know who is or is not allowed to post using DISH Network in their name. We have verified that these are DISH Network employees.

There is a history of DISH's involvement in the support forums here at DBS Talk going back many years. Normally that involvement was handled through moderators. I wouldn't expect involvement on pricing issues and policies. As a support forum we're here to talk about the products, not the participants so I'll leave it at that.

#75 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:49 AM

...We have verified that these are DISH Network employees. ...

Thank you for the reply, Mr. Long.

I certainly meant no disrespect to those Dish employees posting here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...