Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

see post #12
and this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

It is AAAYCAAL.

#43 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:10 AM

Well technician number 3 just left. They're saying now that it is something between my broadband internet provider (Verizon) and the receiver that isn't allowing the software update through. I asked him about the spool rule syntax thing, and he said that isn't the issue. He said Dish will have to communicate with Verizon to try and pinpoint why for whatever reason in my area the Sling Adapter software isn't making it to my receiver. So now I have been through 3 techs, 3 sling adapters, 3 receivers, and about 5 support sessions with Dish. I can imagine Verizon is going to be real receptive to hearing that my Dish Network problem is their fault. I really want this to work, but I'm doubtful that it ever will.

#44 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

Well technician number 3 just left. They're saying now that it is something between my broadband internet provider (Verizon) and the receiver that isn't allowing the software update through. I asked him about the spool rule syntax thing, and he said that isn't the issue. He said Dish will have to communicate with Verizon to try and pinpoint why for whatever reason in my area the Sling Adapter software isn't making it to my receiver. So now I have been through 3 techs, 3 sling adapters, 3 receivers, and about 5 support sessions with Dish. I can imagine Verizon is going to be real receptive to hearing that my Dish Network problem is their fault. I really want this to work, but I'm doubtful that it ever will.

So now the Dish Tech thinks that the DVR is trying to D/L software via the Lan connection? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that he's incorrect and used this as an excuse because they really don't know what the issue is. I say this because I don't know of any other occurrence where a E* receiver pulls s/w via the internet.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:31 AM

Theoretically the DL is possible do via Internet, but so far only one DVR, not satellite type - OTA, DTVPal DVR [TR-50] has the ability. I would say because it was designed in UK by Eldon (now part of E*). Adding to that really existing spool of Sling version 0026 at 119W tp 19 ...

#46 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

The nice thing about my Slingbox PRO-HD is that I didn't have to rely upon some tech at my home to set it up.

The bad thing about my Slingbox PRO-HD is that essentially there is no technical support one can rely on to resolve problems between the box, the router, the modem, and the ISP.

The true thing about the Slingbox PRO-HD is that it didn't sell well to the general population, a lot of whom don't know what a modem or router is, much less what an IP address is.

And that's the rub for Dish. For many (most?) customers, keeping the receiver/DVR working is a mystery. Based on my experience, that is also true for some field techs. Now add to it a different world - the internet - and the chances of effective support decline substantially.

Dish added to its lineup "plugin" Slingbox and Google TV devices (both basically beta versions) within the same year. I expected there would be significant problems and minimal effective technical support.

I'm actually pretty impressed that we're not seeing more rants about all this on this Forum. Maybe it's because, on average, Forum members are more technologically skilled, but even so it still surprises me.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#47 OFFLINE   tpbrady

tpbrady

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have been battling the same problems with the SlingAdapters, 922s, and DISH Remote Access for more than a month. We have never gotten either a 922 or SlingAdapter to work correctly providing remote access to a computer via DISH Remote Access. This is using 3 different ISP's, 3 different networks with internet connections speeds up to 3 mbps. It makes no difference whether the computer is attached to the same network as the SlingAdapter/922 or a remote network. On rare occasions such as the last full moon it has worked for about 3 hours and then stopped. Strangely, it has worked very reliability providing mobile access to the both the IPhone SlingBox App (922 only) and DISH Remote Access App (922 and SlingAdapter). For example, on my IPhone operating on my home WiFi network, I have connected to both a SlingAdapter and 922 without any issues. I was not able to connect to the same devices on a notebook computer attached to the same network.

In the case of remote computer access, it generally fails during the authentication phase. Due to copyright restrictions, I suspect the Sling device needs to set up some type of secure connection between the remote computer and the Sling device. It's the failure of this secure connection that is killing the process and it is likely that failure of this link maybe ISP related or timing related. I don't really believe DISH or Sling has properly tested these devices the way consumers would use them.

In addition, when you add Google TV to the mix, things looks a little shaky. For example the recommended means of connecting a 722 or 922 to Google TV is through the ethernet port on the Google TV appliance. Google TV then bridges the receiver to your router over wireless. You can't do this type of bridge unless you disconnect the home plug adapter tied to your router if you happen to have one, since the receiver defaults to the home plug for network connection (At least I haven't found a way to turn it off in the receiver. Once an ethernet cable is connected and the adapter gets an address, you can connect the homeplug adapter at the router again.) However, when you set things up this way, the limited success I had with the SlingAdapter connecting to my Iphone then doesn't work any more. The only solution I found, was installing a small ethernet switch behind my television, connecting everything there, and then hardwiring it to my router.

The last issue started yesterday, my 722 became extremely unstable and slow and the off air tuner refused to work. After two hard resets with poor results, I disconnected the SlingAdapter and reset again. The receiver then recovered normally.

I really don't think either of these devices is ready for prime time. Google has realized this based on today's press reports. I don't think DISH techs in the fields are ready for this either.

#48 OFFLINE   bshaf

bshaf

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

I HAVE A WORKING SLING ADAPTER!!!!!!!
The problem, as discovered by Justin from Dish, Platform Manager for the Sling products, was that both my modem and router were trying to pull IP addresses. We discovered this because he had me check my Dish On Demand to see if it was connecting and surprisingly I had no movie data in there. It was a matter of putting my modem into bridge mode and disabling LAN DHCP. This had been done a long time ago, but somehow it reset itself, maybe a power outage. My internet connection never skipped a beat and was working just fine, so I would have never thought to check that.

I'm watching TV online now and I hope someone else can get help from this post. So if your Sling Adapter doesn't connect from the day you get it, check your modem settings and make sure it is set to bridge mode. Call your ISP if you need help.

I'm thrilled with the support I got from Dish, they didn't give up on me until it was fixed. I'm a customer for life. Thanks everyone for your help.

#49 OFFLINE   Jerry56

Jerry56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:05 AM

Well it was a nice few days. Got up this morning and no red light on sling adapter. Try to connect through ipod and nothing. I checked dish on demand and there are movies loaded in it. Also checked broadband settings in menu and shows receiver is online. Also shows ip address. This thing is undependable.

#50 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

Well, I hope yours works for longer than the two days mine worked.

My sling adapter is still dead. Just for kicks, I got a 50ft LAN cord direct from my fiber router to my DVR. No luck. By playing with port forwarding rules I can create various different Sling errors, 2, 16, 38, but they appear to be rather random anyway. I still can never get it to play video like it was the first 48 hours after it arrived.

BTW, TCP port 5101 is the port the sling adapter auto configures for itself on my router. Adding UDP and/or 5001 port forwarding rules had no impact on the error messages when I click "Watch Live TV" or "Play on Web".

I had a quick chat AGAIN with support. They tried to tell me I cannot return or exchange my adapter. WTF? Nice try, my purchase receipt says 30-day return and 1 year warranty. Time to get on the phone and return this paperweight.

#51 OFFLINE   peterfan

peterfan

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

So, I have successfully negotiated a return and refund of my Sling Adapter. At first I was told it cannot be returned. I produced my online receipt for the Sling Adapter which appears under "My Shipments" in dishnetwork.com My Account. And it clearly says 30 days Refundable on the receipt with 1 year warranty.

So with that evidence, they put me on hold. Then told me I had to pay for shipping to send it back. WHAT? I think not. The device does not work as advertised and it is not a problem with my network. It just stopped working two days after it arrived. So I calmly mentioned my lawyer and recent incidents that show what happens when satellite TV providers charge for services they cannot provide in my state.

Next thing you know I am escalated a level higher. Wait on hold for 20 minutes and promptly informed that UPS will come to my door within 7 days with a prepaid package to return my defective Sling Adapter to Dish Network at not cost to me. As it should be after all. The new shipment return also appears with a confirmation number in my "My Shipments" history online.

Don't ever let them make you pay to return a product that does not work as advertised.

My advice is to wait a few months. The Sling Adapter has issues. And for the most part Dish Network technical support and Sales staff don't even know what the device is yet. Understandable IMHO. I am happy to see Dish Network attempt to innovate their service with a pretty good concept product. Despite the customer service failures, it looks to be a good product and online service later in 2011. Sling adapter is a pretty good deal with a $99 one time fee and no additional monthly charges. Too bad it is not reliable yet and they have sketchy support and return policies. My bet is that will change since Dish Network owns Sling through a subsidiary. Better products and better support should appear some day.

Looking forward to a better product down the road. Maybe an upgrade to the VIP 922 receiver if they do away with the ridiculous extra monthly service fees. They say they charge higher monthly fees because you get more pretty menus with the 922, the extra cost for Sling is already included in the purchase price. Extra monthly fees for pretty menus? WHAT?

Overall I probably won't bite until the next generation of receivers with wifi connectivity and Sling built in. My VIP 722k is already the only device around my TV that does not have built in wireless. The TV and Blu Ray player have wifi built in. Another obvious quirk that bugs me about Dish Network products.

Edited by peterfan, 29 December 2010 - 08:56 PM.
I am spelling challenged

#52 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

I see it has been a while since anyone posted in this thread, but I wanted to see if anyone was still have problems with the Sling Adapter. I apologize for the late response, but we were unable to create logins for a bit. If there are any concerns I can help, and my counterparts are also available via PM, etc. We have discovered some fixes that are unorthodox, but as of right now, we are at 100% fix rate.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 06 January 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Anthony Thomas
DISH Network Customer Service
2:45PM to 11:15PM Sunday-Thursday

#53 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:02 PM

We're having trouble with our sling adapter and 722. Have been through 3 technical chats, 2 sling adapters, and have a second receiver on the way. The USB ports both work, it says the sling is detected and ready to use. When you go to system info, however, it says there is no sling adapter. The receiver is definitely online and I've been through every possible reset. All they could think of doing this time is sending me another receiver.

#54 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that. Its found by hitting Menu twice, second line down will be Receiver CAID.
Anthony Thomas

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that.

TonyT, if you missed first page/posts in the thread - would you mind if I remind you to look to that syntax errors [unbalanced square brackets in regular expression] in Sling FW spool posted at first page ? It's affect ALL receivers, I would expect to fix it instead of go with each one by PM.
We are at forum, not on p2p calls.

#56 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

Mind if I try something? It would require the current receiver number and you can PM me that. Its found by hitting Menu twice, second line down will be Receiver CAID.

*pm sent, thanks Tony

#57 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Thank you for that information. Right now I have gotten to access DRA and can get the guide. The watch live TV option is now displaying a message that says "Our systems are being updated (7). Please wait a few minutes, and then try again." Have you seen that message ever?
Anthony Thomas

#58 OFFLINE   duck0872

duck0872

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

that's all i've ever seen when trying to access the receiver

#59 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

TonyT, if you missed first page/posts in the thread - would you mind if I remind you to look to that syntax errors [unbalanced square brackets in regular expression] in Sling FW spool posted at first page ? It's affect ALL receivers, I would expect to fix it instead of go with each one by PM.
We are at forum, not on p2p calls.

As of right now, this does not affect all receivers or Sling Adapters. In fact, I am still batting 100% in getting these running. I did read the entire post though, and I am sure its possible that it affects some Sling Adapters or receivers. However, to say that it affects all of them is incorrect. I have personally gotten more online and active via direct troubleshooting and that is why I offered to help.
Anthony Thomas

#60 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

that's all i've ever seen when trying to access the receiver

How is the receiver connected to the internet? Is it directly connected via an Ethernet cable to a router or modem, or is it using some other type of device (wireless adapter/Home Plug Adapter/Slinglink)?
Anthony Thomas

spam firewall