Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Not sure its the phone and I think I need to clarify something here. I got the instructions and the tech spec stuff from a class we attended where we heard about how the sling adapter worked. I guess I assumed too much. The sling adapter takes over TV2 and if in single mode there is no TV2. That being said, single mode plays like TV1 is using the second tuner as well (or at least it is seen that way by the app) and therefore there is not legitimate all-access control over the box. You are basically accessing it as PIP. When on TV1 and PIP is up, get the PIP to change to a DVR event without toggling what's on the main screen. The issue here is not the capability of the adapter, it is the capability of the box which has been that way since inception. The app, when the box is in single mode, is basically a remote to change the PIP channel.

I will say I was not aware of any "auto-change" function on the receiver and perhaps that may be a step in determining if the receiver sees the device or not. Attaching the adapter while in single mode, as you put it, should make it automatically drop out of single mode to dual. I did not see anything on this end about it doing that but hey, our instructions and yours are apparently different.

I do not think the Iphone has any limits to using this app at all, but I know that some problems are specific to that platform, just as some are specific to Android or Windows platform phones. I have been working on an account that can access the app through any other mobile device and get it on a PC but the app on the Iphone and Ipad (his two devices or the two I have access to) crashes after the point when it checks settings. Other accounts on the same device work fine. So right now on that platform, I am looking into a specific conflict between his account, the app, and those two devices. Talk about strange.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 24 January 2011 - 08:14 PM.

Anthony Thomas
DISH Network Customer Service
2:45PM to 11:15PM Sunday-Thursday

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:15 PM

Not sure its the phone and I think I need to clarify something here. I got the instructions and the tech spec stuff from a class we attended where we heard about how the sling adapter worked. I guess I assumed too much. The sling adapter takes over TV2 and if in single mode there is no TV2. That being said, single mode plays like TV1 is using the second tuner as well (or at least it is seen that way by the app) and therefore there is not legitimate all-access control over the box (PIP stuff basically).

I will say I was not aware of any "auto-change" function on the receiver and perhaps that may be a step in determining if the receiver sees the device or not. Attaching the adapter while in single mode, as you put it, should make it automatically drop out of single mode to dual. I did not see anything on this end about it doing that but hey, our instructions and yours are apparently different.

Sorry, I'm not saying 'attaching the adapter' causes the change to dual mode. Using the adapter remotely, the receiver changes from single to dual on the fly. For instance:

My 722 is in single mode.
I go to the Dish website and pull up the contents of that receiver.
If I chose 'Watch live TV' the receiver will switch to dual mode and the channel will start playing in my browser.
I can also play a DVR event instead of 'Watch Live TV'.
When I stop the playback of either Live TV or the DVR event, the receiver changes back to single mode.

If I start out in dual mode, the receiver will remain in dual mode after slinging is complete.

The app on the iPad works exactly the same.

The app on the iPhone will do almost the same but just will not play back a DVR event. The receiver switches modes but doesn't play back the DVR event, it just shows whatever channel tuner 2 is tuned to.

Is that more clear?

#143 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Got it.. But not more clear. That is to say I understand the issue better, but now REALLY have no idea why its different. Maybe something in the way the networks connect (mobile phone 3G/4G versus Ipad maybe?). If the Iphone is on wi-fi on the same network does the receiver do the swap?
Anthony Thomas

#144 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:56 PM

Got it.. But not more clear. That is to say I understand the issue better, but now REALLY have no idea why its different. Maybe something in the way the networks connect (mobile phone 3G/4G versus Ipad maybe?). If the Iphone is on wi-fi on the same network does the receiver do the swap?

There is a dedicated iPad app. Something subtle may be different?

My testing is with all these devices on my home network.

#145 OFFLINE   andrew40

andrew40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:00 PM

Same here...I was running off my wifi when I was testing things over the weekend, but I'm still seeing the same issues when using 3G. If I could only get my hands on an iPad I could test that as well! :)

#146 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

I have the sling adapter on my 722. I access it via iPhone wifi/3G and wirelessly via laptop and wired via desktop.

I get the same behavior regardless...My 722 is by default in single mode; when using the sling adapter to view live TV or view DVR content, it switches to dual mode. When I stop watching live TV/DVR it switches back to single mode.

My older version of my iphone Dish app allows me to watch DVR and live TV. I also have a SQ/HQ option (HQ is higher quality and does provide a better picture). On my wife's phone, she has the latest app and she cannot play any DVR content - only live TV. When she goes to play some DVR content, it always just shows whatever channel was last on TV2 live.

When I first got the sling adapter, everything generally worked ok - there are/were some quirks...where for whatever reason the dish software couldn't "find" my 722. But after maybe a minute, it always could eventually "find" it.

Recently, though, that problem as gotten worse. Via iphone wifi/3g, laptop wifi, desktop wired - the dish software (via IE or Firefox or iphone app) can't find my 722 receiver. I can ping it from all devices and it is up; the receiver says it's connected, but the apps can't find it.

After a bit, sometimes, something changes and the apps can find the receiver - they are happy. I use the sling adapter for a bit and then shut it down. If I go back in 15 minutes later the apps can't find the 722 again.

Frustrating. It may be related to the fact that dish doesn't think my receiver is registered as a week or two ago, I was getting prompted to register the receiver when I first loaded dish anywhere app on my PCs. Wen through the Web Activation process several times over a period of days and finally it stuck - but it has me thinking that my problems could be related to some Dish-side configuration issue.

#147 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Thought I'd share this...not sure if I was the only one having issues with watching DVR events on my iphone...

I've got a 722k (only hooked up to 1 TV) and until today couldn't get DVR events to play on the iphone at all. It works great once I switched to dual mode before trying to watch anything, but since I was home, it wasn't an issue. After testing this for awhile this morning, here's what I *think* I've found (at the risk of stating the obvious), and of course none of this may be set in stone:

- If the receiver is in single mode, you can't watch DVR events at all on the iphone;
- If the receiver is in single mode, it looks like you can watch any live TV you want (though it might not work if someones already recording one channel and watching another - didn't test this yet);
- If the receiver is in dual mode before you login to Dish Remote Access, you can access DVR events without any problem;
- If the receiver is in dual mode, it looks like you can watch any live TV event without issue.

The problem with being in dual mode though all the time, is that the anyone wanting to watch TV on that receiver is limited to watching one channel and only being able to record the same channel they're watching (of course I think that's the same dilemma regardless of whether an iphone is being used or not when its in dual mode).

Anyway, there ya go for what its worth!

This is clearly a DRA issue as the older version of the iPhone app that I run doesn't have this problem. V 2.2.49/1.0.11

#148 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

Itunes shows the app as all inclusive between Iphone, Ipad, and Ipod Touch. Version 2.2.71 It does say it requires iOS4.1 or later. Anyone not running that? Apparently it is common across all devices that if you do not sync them they will not download any updates. Perhaps those with the Iphone app not working could do that or verify the iOS. Same with the Ipad? Between the Iphones that are working I show version iOS4.2.1 (which is likely the most current, but I am not sure). Per research 4.3 is beta as of January 12th this year (not sure if limited release issue like Android 2.2 was on my phone during Beta). Is it possible you have that? I also found that the iOS is universal across all Apple mobile devices, but that of course is subject to the sources I found that information using.

This of course is not necessarily the cure for any of this, this is more curiosity on my part. If it is possible you have an older iOS that the app does not support or a new one in Beta, its possible a simple update will correct the fix. Again, theoretical and sheer curiosity at this point.

The problem with being in dual mode though all the time, is that the anyone wanting to watch TV on that receiver is limited to watching one channel and only being able to record the same channel they're watching (of course I think that's the same dilemma regardless of whether an iphone is being used or not when its in dual mode).

This should not be the case at all. Enable Record Plus to TV2 (Menu- 8-5) and all should go fine. It works exactly the same as having the receiver in single mode, except of course that if there is a TV2 it is not doing the same thing as TV1.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 26 January 2011 - 08:04 PM.

Anthony Thomas

#149 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:30 PM

This should not be the case at all. Enable Record Plus to TV2 (Menu- 8-5) and all should go fine. It works exactly the same as having the receiver in single mode, except of course that if there is a TV2 it is not doing the same thing as TV1.

I mean this politely and with all due respect, but this is not correct.

#150 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

I mean this politely and with all due respect, but this is not correct.

Explain please. The issue is that he cannot change the receiver channel in dual mode when recording. If this option is enabled, a timer set AFTER this setting is changed will automatically default to TV2 (or whichever TV it is set for) and the opposite TV can change channels as normal (I guess I left this out as the explanation for how it works is on the setting page itself). Also, if recording the "remainder of an event" you can choose which location to record to in Dual mode.

He has been operating in single mode and switching to Dual Mode permanently has limited functionality at the TV when recording. This is a work around, but if you could explain how this is incorrect I would appreciate it. It would be easier if there is only one TV, and it could default to a particular TV all the time. Clarity on whether or not there is a second TV connected could be beneficial, but you could still do it this way and it operates as I described.

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 26 January 2011 - 09:32 PM.
Incomplete

Anthony Thomas

#151 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

Itunes shows the app as all inclusive between Iphone, Ipad, and Ipod Touch. Version 2.2.71 It does say it requires iOS4.1 or later. Anyone not running that? Apparently it is common across all devices that if you do not sync them they will not download any updates. Perhaps those with the Iphone app not working could do that or verify the iOS. Same with the Ipad? Between the Iphones that are working I show version iOS4.2.1 (which is likely the most current, but I am not sure). Per research 4.3 is beta as of January 12th this year (not sure if limited release issue like Android 2.2 was on my phone during Beta). Is it possible you have that? I also found that the iOS is universal across all Apple mobile devices, but that of course is subject to the sources I found that information using.

This of course is not necessarily the cure for any of this, this is more curiosity on my part. If it is possible you have an older iOS that the app does not support or a new one in Beta, its possible a simple update will correct the fix. Again, theoretical and sheer curiosity at this point.

There are two apps, one called 'Dish Remote Access' which runs on any iOS device, currently version 2.2.71. There is also 'Dish Remote Access for iPad' at version 2.2.88

They do not behave the same.

#152 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:07 AM

Got it. I guess Ipad is a larger mobile device and can incorporate more features in a larger screen area, so it makes sense. I wonder if anyone here is trying to use the app from one on the incorrect device, or if maybe it still stems from iOS support.

I have both Ipad, Ipod Touch, and Iphone at my disposal. In the meantime (less time then it took to write this post) we experimented. The Iphone current version took too long to verify so we deleted and then reinstalled the app (2.2.71). We immediately logged into known working test equipment (a VIP922 Slingloaded DVR) with the app.

Here's where it gets tricky. When we originally logged in someone was already watching the feed (no idea who, but the TV2 light was lit) so we battled for control of the box, never getting a picture. I reset the receiver and we waited for it to reboot (hard disco'd the remote user). It rebooted in dual mode which was the last configuration it was working in prior to the reset, as expected. We logged in and got TV2 which was showing Clash of the Titans. We accessed DVR menu, got the list, and selected a recorded Road to Perdition. It went blank and started playing Clash of the Titans again. HAHA. So we logged out, changed the receiver to single mode (its necessary on the 922) and sure enough, we logged back in, TV2 light came on but now, after a short delay, we got recordings to play just fine. Sounds like it might be reverse on the 722/k but we will have to experiment on that tomorrow.
Anthony Thomas

#153 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

Well, I got my DRA to work for a while last night after going through the "unplug sling adapter, name receiver, activate" process last night.

But yet again, today, it simply can't find my 722.

Should have just bought an actual sling device - why does this whole process need to be tied to Dish? That's the flaw, it should just work between app and box - no dish needed.

Clearly my 722 is online - it says it is, "My Account" on dish says it is; When I rename it, the new name shows up immediately on "My Account" and via DRA; and I can always ping my 722; System Info says sling adapter is "online" or "ready" (don't remember).

This really really sucks.

#154 OFFLINE   andrew40

andrew40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hey Tony, here's what I found..

Of course in single mode, the options are grayed out. I manually switched to dual mode, then enabled the recording preference to TV2. I then tried to record something and was unable to switch channels without having to stop the recording. The receiver is only being used with one TV.

#155 OFFLINE   andrew40

andrew40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

DRA version 2.2.71 is running on my iphone. the iphone itself is version 4.2.1.

#156 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hey Tony, here's what I found..

Of course in single mode, the options are grayed out. I manually switched to dual mode, then enabled the recording preference to TV2. I then tried to record something and was unable to switch channels without having to stop the recording. The receiver is only being used with one TV.

When you hit the record button (new recording) did you "change" the default TV? It gives the option when you hit record to move it from TV1 (default that is highlighted) to TV2 on the screen that says "Do you wish to record the remainder of this event?" I think that is the step that was missed, but if you changed it to TV2 and there were no other recordings scheduled for the same time, then the issue is with the receiver. If it was a preset timer prior to changing the record plus option, then it won't unless you reset the timer with the new default.
Anthony Thomas

#157 OFFLINE   ledsrbetter

ledsrbetter

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hello, i myself have simular situation with my sling adaptor that has the Techs Boggled, i can View live TV from a work computer, i had a IT person log into the system using his Laptop and it works, my problem is i have the latest software using a Verizon Fios Router, have a direct data cable connected to Reciever to router and i'm unable to watch any TV from any of my own Computers but i can change what is being seen on TV via my Computer. Everytime i try to log on a get a message that does not pertain to anything: System being updated try again later (7), The Techs had me do all kinds of tests like unplugging box, router, etc..

#158 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Have you tried a different web browser on your PC. If you are using IE8, try using Firefox. If one computer can log in to your account fine, and another can't it is likely a setting either in the browser, or a handshake that's not happening. Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread and a switch to Firefox and it was working that way. I dunno. Just a thought.
Anthony Thomas

#159 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:44 AM

Tony,

One thing that I think Dish could do a better job of on this front... would be to publish on their Web site in a very obvious place exactly what operating systems, browsers, and versions are supported.

Through talks, I know that 64-bit browsers are not supported... nor are browsers currently in beta like Firefox 4... but it's still not clear to some users exactly which browsers and versions are supported... and I do believe at least a few of these inability to connect cases are the result of using a non-supported browser.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#160 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I received my sling adapter and so far so good on PC's and my htc EVO, but I can't seem to get HD quality without it skipping horribly. On Dish's site, it just says 3Mbps, doesn't indicate whether that is for download or upload. I've got a 10/1 cable connection at home. Any ideas?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...