Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ViP 722K - Sling Adapter Will Not Work

• Please log in to reply
272 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

That's up and down. 1 won't cut it for HD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,931 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:04 PM

idea ? Look, your DVR is SENDING a/v stream, that means UP - so the 10/1 show you, the UP speed is 1 Mbps. Kapish ? :D

#163 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

Ok P, it was answered right ahead of you...and I know my 1 is my upload, but thanks.

#164 OFFLINE   andrew40

andrew40

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

When you hit the record button (new recording) did you "change" the default TV? It gives the option when you hit record to move it from TV1 (default that is highlighted) to TV2 on the screen that says "Do you wish to record the remainder of this event?" I think that is the step that was missed, but if you changed it to TV2 and there were no other recordings scheduled for the same time, then the issue is with the receiver. If it was a preset timer prior to changing the record plus option, then it won't unless you reset the timer with the new default.

That got it! I remember seeing that the first time but just left it on the default setting which was TV1 and not really thinking about it. This time, I switched it to TV2 and it works as you described. And as you might expect, even when recording on TV2 I can still watch DVR events on my iphone, but not watch live tv - unless I want to either stop the recording or watch whichever channel is recording. Of course, all of this hinges on making sure you manually switch the receiver to dual mode (assuming at some point it was switched over to single mode).

Also, as you mentioned in another post, I don't even attempt to use IE anymore to login when I'm on the laptop. Firefox seems to work without a hitch.

#165 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

I seemed to have fixed my intermittent 722 "being online" issues by downgrading my router fw to .68 from .92.

The router has an auto-update option, which I have since turned off but forgot that it upgraded the fw back in early Jan. I read elsewhere where someone was complaining about the current fw not consistently forwarding ports and such - so that gave me the idea.

So for others with intermittent "can't find receiver.." issues, try another router and/or fw and see what happens.

#166 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Some final observations:

DRA has now been working great since the my router fw downgrade - and I've learned a few things about the DRA functioning at the same time.

- DRA uses port 5102 to communicate with your receiver. It uses UPnP to tell your router to forward traffic on port 5102 from the internet to its IP. If you don't have a UPnP capable router or don't have it enabled, you'll need to use a static IP for your receiver and then forward port 5102 to that ip in your router setup.

- DRA is "always" remote in the sense that it is running from a remote server and using the forwarded 5102 port to communicate with your receiver. DRA is a "cloud" type app.

- If you are on the same network as your receiver, then when you start streaming video (dvr or live content) that traffic will stay local; otherwise, the content traffic is sent from your receiver to your remote location. In other words, only the content streaming is receiver to client. Everything else is client and receiver to DRA (or more literally, DRA to client, receiver to DRA).

This became apparent when my iPhone connected to a my local "guest" wifi - which doesn't have any local lan access - only internet. The iphone DRA loaded and worked fine until I went to stream content and then it just crashed. I realized my mistake, switched over to my normal wifi access and DRA on the iphone worked fine.

#167 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Tony,

One thing that I think Dish could do a better job of on this front... would be to publish on their Web site in a very obvious place exactly what operating systems, browsers, and versions are supported.

Through talks, I know that 64-bit browsers are not supported... nor are browsers currently in beta like Firefox 4... but it's still not clear to some users exactly which browsers and versions are supported... and I do believe at least a few of these inability to connect cases are the result of using a non-supported browser.

On the TV Anywhere page there is little tabs that talk about the VIP922 and the Sling Adapter. When selected, there is anther tab showing minimum requirements for both the VIP922 Slingloaded DVR and the Sling Adapter, including supported browsers ( http://www.dishnetwo...ts/default.aspx for the VIP922 and http://www.dishnetwo...ts/default.aspx for the Sling Adapter). It is not obvious though, and I think that is where the issue is. I won't lie, the page the CSR gets seems to be more detailed. In fact, I may just bite the bullet on it and post a new thread entitled "Minimum Requirements to a Successful Sling" here on DBSTalk and some other forums to get the information out to as many people as possible. I personally think it would clarify things more then the current page online.

For now, I am pretty sure that all current browsers are supported with the proper "allowed" plugins, regardless of whether it is a 32 or 64 bit browser. I use a 64bit browser at home (Windows 7, IE8) and a 32bit browser on my work computer (Windows XP Pro, IE8, in spite of the fact that it is a 64-bit processor) and have had no issues with the add-in on either platform. In fact, it is flawless in IE8 for me even with all the restrictions put in place by my works IT (blocked from streaming websites EXCEPT Sling). Firefox at work is another matter. It is the preferred browser for me here, but due to the restrictions on the computer I cannot load the add-in for it. I thought (and maybe I am wrong) I posted minimum information for the Sling Adapter and the VIP 922 Slingloaded DVR somewhere around here but if not, look for it soon on its own little thread as I mentioned before.

PS: NIGHTFLY85, so its working? Hooray! The information you provided in your post is EXACTLY what we needed on this thread. I am glad you found a solution (and relieved it was something related to the network, i.e. the router's FW).

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 30 January 2011 - 05:22 PM.

Anthony Thomas
DISH Network Customer Service
2:45PM to 11:15PM Sunday-Thursday

#168 OFFLINE   nightfly85

nightfly85

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

PS: NIGHTFLY85, so its working? Hooray! The information you provided in your post is EXACTLY what we needed on this thread. I am glad you found a solution (and relieved it was something related to the network, i.e. the router's FW).

Yes, it's been great for 3 days now (since the fw downgrade). Using FireFox 3.6.13, IE8, and iPhone 2.2.49.

What made the issue difficult was that it would work fine for a while (after a router restart or re-config) but then go "dead" after a day or so. So there did not seem to be any direct cause and effect.

My router is a very popular model (WNDR3700 or WNDR3700AV) - so anyone running fw beyond .68 will have the issue! This was with UPnP or using the port forwarding feature manually. In either case, I was using a "reserved" (i.e. static) IP for my 722.

Frankly though, it would be nice to be able to get more diagnostic info from the Dish/Sling side. Had there been a way to confirm the required DRA to dish receiver connection was working/not working then that would have saved me a great deal of time. It's not enough that the dish receiver is "online" as that only proves the outbound connection is working.

Edited by nightfly85, 31 January 2011 - 01:47 PM.

#169 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Frankly though, it would be nice to be able to get more diagnostic info from the Dish/Sling side. Had there been a way to confirm the required DRA to dish receiver connection was working/not working then that would have saved me a great deal of time. It's not enough that the dish receiver is "online" as that only proves the outbound connection is working.

To be honest, I am hoping this happens. It would be nice if they would include a lot of things, like an actual speed for the connection and even just a limited connectivity message would be nice (like the built-in wireless NICs on a computer). "I see the network, but I can't do anything!"
Anthony Thomas

#170 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

Update to the iPhone and iPad apps is available. The iPhone update seems to have resolved the problem playing back DVR events. Work fine now.

Thanks Dish! :up:

#171 OFFLINE   huskerroo

huskerroo

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

I discovered this forum / thread about the Sling Adapter. I have ViP 722 and purchased the Sling Adapter 6 weeks or so ago. I had cable modem service with 256k upload speed and could watch programming on the 'good' setting over the internet. I upgraded my internet service to 512k upload and have been unable to watch on the internet. I can watch the best/HD setting in my house with wifi.

I saw a network reset solution (page 3 in this thread, I think) and plan on doing that tonight but thought I would give a quick overview for any thoughts; especially on the watching over internet vs. in house. Thanks!

#172 OFFLINE   TonyT@DISH Network

TonyT@DISH Network

Legend

• 111 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:10 PM

Requirements (NOTE:THESE ARE MINIMUM SPECS FOR BASIC OPERATION. AT THE MINIMUM DOES NOT GUARANTEE 100% ALL THE TIME FUNCTIONALITY)
HD Content through DRA / dishonline.com
Network Bandwidth of 3 Mbps or better
PC
Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
2 GB of RAM
Video acceleration support desirable on graphics card
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
Mac
Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo class processor or equivalent
2 GB of RAM
Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
SD Content through DRA / dishonline.com
Network Bandwidth upload of 600 Kbps or better
PC
Intel Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent
Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
Browser: Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
256 MB RAM
Mac
Intel-based Mac
2 GB of RAM
Operating System: Max OS X 10.5.7 or later
Browser: Safari 4.0 or later, Firefox 3.5 or later
SD Content through Mobile Device
DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better
HD Content through Mobile Device
DISH Remote Access mobile app installed on mobile device
Network Bandwidth upload of 150 Kbps or better

I discovered this forum / thread about the Sling Adapter. I have ViP 722 and purchased the Sling Adapter 6 weeks or so ago. I had cable modem service with 256k upload speed and could watch programming on the 'good' setting over the internet. I upgraded my internet service to 512k upload and have been unable to watch on the internet. I can watch the best/HD setting in my house with wifi.

I saw a network reset solution (page 3 in this thread, I think) and plan on doing that tonight but thought I would give a quick overview for any thoughts; especially on the watching over internet vs. in house. Thanks!

The network solutions will likely not change in your situation. They will not give you more bandwidth then is available through your current ISP. Your issue is the upload speed. Posted are the specs that the web say are needed on the "Requirements" tab. This is listed here, but there it is in a grid format. Looks to me like it will only be accessible internally or via mobile device. Honestly, I am not sure why it ever allowed access via internet (perhaps a certain channel requires a lower bandwidth?).

Edited by TonyT@DISH Network, 02 March 2011 - 07:21 PM.

Anthony Thomas

#173 OFFLINE   Bohemian

Bohemian

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:01 AM

I bought a sling adaptor from dish when they first came out. It has never worked. I have a Vip722k and the sling adapter, ethernet connection to DSL. I am trying to watch just connect via the android phone application. I can see my channel list just fine but when I try to watch by phone I get a "Failed to connect." error message. What do I need to do to make this work? Could it be a router firewall issue?

#174 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Perhaps read the thread ? ;)

#175 OFFLINE   Bohemian

Bohemian

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

Perhaps read the thread ? ;)

HAHA. Funny I did and these things don't fix my problem. So helpful.

#176 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

PM to DIRT ppl.

#177 OFFLINE   Bohemian

Bohemian

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:36 PM

PM to DIRT ppl.

If you are talking about TonyT@DISH, it says I can't PM because of I don't have enough posts.

#178 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,940 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

If you are talking about TonyT@DISH, it says I can't PM because of I don't have enough posts.

You have enough now. :)

#179 OFFLINE   huskerroo

huskerroo

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Ok, upgraded to highest data service my provider offers with 1 Mbps upstream (home speed tests peg more around 1.4 Mbps). Tried again @ the office and received the "Your Slingbox has been disconnected because of a poor network connection (40)." I will reset my receiver and try again but looking for any other suggestions for this frustrating situation???

#180 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,931 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Ok, upgraded to highest data service my provider offers with 1 Mbps upstream (home speed tests peg more around 1.4 Mbps). Tried again @ the office and received the "Your Slingbox has been disconnected because of a poor network connection (40)." I will reset my receiver and try again but looking for any other suggestions for this frustrating situation???

Can you go higher ? 3 Mbps ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...