Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

iPad Charging & Syncing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:07 AM

So, I got an iPad for Christmas & am happy with it but I'm bummed that my brand new PC won't charge it through the USB connection. I'd like to be able to charge & sync at the same time. I've been looking at docks hoping to find one that's powered & has a separate usb connector but so far I can't find one. Any of you other iPad owners have a dock that can charge & sync at the same time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

Many computers will actually charge it some, even though it says Not Charging. Check your battery then sync it and come back after 20-30 minutes an see. It will not charge it fast, but it may be enough.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

So, I got an iPad for Christmas & am happy with it but I'm bummed that my brand new PC won't charge it through the USB connection. I'd like to be able to charge & sync at the same time. I've been looking at docks hoping to find one that's powered & has a separate usb connector but so far I can't find one. Any of you other iPad owners have a dock that can charge & sync at the same time?

The problem is that the iPad needs a high power USB connection to charge. Most new Macs and Macbooks have high power USB connections.

If you want it to charge on your PC, you need to make sure the PC is turned on and the iPad is in sleep mode. The charging will be much slower but it will charge.

The quickest way to charge the iPad is to use the included 10 watt charger. Currently I am not aware of any docks that provide a high power USB connection to sync and charge at the same time.

#4 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

I never thought to check that. However, I have found that my motherboard supports USB3 & USB Power 3X (Gigabyte) so I changed a setting in the bios & now the iPad shows to be charging. It is still slow, though.

What is sleep mode on the iPad -- does that mean powered off?

#5 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,980 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

I never thought to check that. However, I have found that my motherboard supports USB3 & USB Power 3X (Gigabyte) so I changed a setting in the bios & now the iPad shows to be charging. It is still slow, though.

It means the display is not drawing power, and it's similar to a—at least in the Mac world—computer being put to sleep.

If you powered off at night, put it on its wall charger, do you not have enough juice for the daytime use?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:03 AM

It means the display is not drawing power, and it's similar to a—at least in the Mac world—computer being put to sleep.

If you powered off at night, put it on its wall charger, do you not have enough juice for the daytime use?

So as long as the screen is not activated, that is sleep mode?

Oh, yeah, I have plenty of power -- can go days without recharging. I just prefer to charge & sync at the same time if possible.

#7 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

That will work. The high power USB connection "switched on" on your PC will work fine. It will still be a bit slow however (it's also slow on the mac). That is why the best way to charge is the charger that came with the iPad.

Sleep mode is simply with the screen off. If you power down the iPad, that would work better.

#8 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

That will work. The high power USB connection "switched on" on your PC will work fine. It will still be a bit slow however (it's also slow on the mac). That is why the best way to charge is the charger that came with the iPad.

Sleep mode is simply with the screen off. If you power down the iPad, that would work better.

Yes, it is charging & not even that slowly with the screen off but the iPad itself not off. So, for normal charging & syncing I can use the PC but if I need a fast charge, I can use the wall plug. I'm a happy camper now :-).

#9 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

This will allow the iPad to charge even while it is awake. Still not as fast as the wall charger.

#10 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

This will allow the iPad to charge even while it is awake. Still not as fast as the wall charger.

Wow, that looks pretty cool & cheap, too. I might get one for my mom -- she's also going to hate having to charge the iPad separately from syncing it.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

I haven't tried on my PC... but I only synch with my iMac anyway. I can charge the iPad directly connected to my iMac, but not through the USB hub I got, even though the USB hub is a powered hub.

Fortunately, the iPad holds its charge pretty well... so I've been ok just running it mostly down and then plugging into the wall outlet at that point.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

Wow, that looks pretty cool & cheap, too. I might get one for my mom -- she's also going to hate having to charge the iPad separately from syncing it.

I would be wary of that. A regular USB connection (not high power) can only put out so much power no matter what adapter you use.

This is a guess but it simply looks to me like the adapter simply tricks the iPad into thinking it's connected to a high power USB port.

#13 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

I would be wary of that. A regular USB connection (not high power) can only put out so much power no matter what adapter you use.

This is a guess but it simply looks to me like the adapter simply tricks the iPad into thinking it's connected to a high power USB port.

Right & so it charges it just like Lee L says only it actually shows that it is charging.

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Thinking out loud .... has anyone tried adapting one of those cords that has two connections to your computer's USB ports - the cords that are used for drives that don't have their own power supply and are designed to get more power into the drive? Might it help the iPad charge a little faster on a PC?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

We've had the iPad since the first Saturday delivery in April and I find that we synch much less frequently than our phones and charge it about every other day.

While I charge our phones from the computer usb, I keep the 10 watt charger and cord hidden by the end table that is the usual unused place for the iPad.

Unlike a lot of cube power supplies, it doesn't use any electricity when nothing's plugged in, so I leave it powered all the time.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Thinking out loud .... has anyone tried adapting one of those cords that has two connections to your computer's USB ports - the cords that are used for drives that don't have their own power supply and are designed to get more power into the drive? Might it help the iPad charge a little faster on a PC?

Tried that at my father's house with his iPad... He had one of those because of a portable hard drive that needed the extra power from a laptop.

When using the two-pronged USB connection to connect to the computer, the computer no longer recognized the iPad at all... So it would appear the iPad "saw" two connections and shut itself down for linking.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#17 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:19 AM

I found this out as well... My laptop does not charge it officially but if I sync it and leave it connected it does charge albeit slowly as mentioned but at least it doesn't seem to loose any power.

This was important when I had my sync taking 6 to 8+ Hours due to a corrupted app. Thankfully now that I upgraded to IOS 4.x it is syncing in only seconds.

I have access to a lot of PC's and Laptops both new and old and none of them yet have charged my iPad officially (where the iPad says it is charging).
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

Protected By... spam firewall...And...