Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV iPhone & Android App update includes QR Code Scanner

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

Seems like they have sort of given up on the Blackberry app.... still version 1.9.5, which it has been for quite some time.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Not to hi jack the iphone thread but ya the Android Market has this update also for the D* app

Sorry if its already been posted
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#23 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:12 AM

Not to hi jack the iphone thread but ya the Android Market has this update also for the D* app

Just seven posts above yours. Since Android is mentioned in the first post (by implication), then technically, our posts do not a hijacked thread make, however the thread title makes it seem that way. Sooo.....perhaps a Android/Directv app update centric thread should come to life, maybe after a few more cups of mocha java.

#24 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:20 AM

Update now in the Android Market....now the hunt for QR code begins.

Thanks guys. I've adjusted the thread title. :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:01 AM

All praise be to Mod power....:D

Thanks, Greg. :)

#26 OFFLINE   texmex

texmex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:53 AM

Does this update give you the opportunity to add time to a live sports recording like you can easily do and are automatically prompted to do on your DVR?

Nope - still no option to extend recording time, which means this app is still worthless when it comes to recording live events. Unbelievable...

#27 OFFLINE   terryfoster

terryfoster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:07 AM

What was the mouse like scanner - I think Radio Shack sold them or gave them away - 'CopyCat'? - 15 or 20 years ago to read barcodes in magazines or newspapers? Didn't last a year. . .

You're thinking of Cue Cat which was available in the late 90s.

Don't forget about VCR+ Codes. Not exactly a scanner, but still a supposedly "easier" way to set up your recordings.

This could be cool if stations start including the QR Codes in their promos and web ads, but not very helpful if they're just in magazines.

#28 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

This app works perfectly for me. I use it all the time. I wish the dvrs had the option to set which room/dvr to do the recording like this app has.

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

Nope - still no option to extend recording time, which means this app is still worthless when it comes to recording live events. Unbelievable...

Hardly worthless, but could be vastly improved by adding a custom option time add, or asking, "Do you want to record the following program?" (I almost always add an hour to the event, sometimes more.) If I am away from home on a trip I'll do it via laptop and there it's easy to record the following program.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#30 OFFLINE   jabrwocky7

jabrwocky7

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

You might also want to update the front page headline.

DIRECTV Since 2002
Main: HR20-700 / HR22-100 (networked)
OTA: CM 4228 /CM 7778 Pre-amp / CM 3042 amp
Other: HR10-250

#31 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hardly worthless, but could be vastly improved by adding a custom option time add, or asking, "Do you want to record the following program?" (I almost always add an hour to the event, sometimes more.) If I am away from home on a trip I'll do it via laptop and there it's easy to record the following program.

Or if it would just simply ask if you want to extend the recording like the actual DVR does when you attempt to record a live sports program.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#32 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:21 PM

Or if it would just simply ask if you want to extend the recording like the actual DVR does when you attempt to record a live sports program.

Er, Yes! But they might as well make it customizable as to the default time it offers. Or be able to select that all sports events will add an hour, or half, or whatever you set, as the default.....

--
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#33 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,490 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

The iPhone app, Mobiletag, reads Bubble's QR in the post above. The Directv app will read it but is looking for a particular format.

The QR tags are appearing in more and more print ads to send you to specific websites. The Mobiletag app sometimes has problems with standard newsprint tags but the glossy Sunday type ads work well.

Several vendors in ads in "Nuts and Volts" - a hobbiest magazine also available in pdf use them to send you to their online catalogs or to a specific product.

The iPhone app reads them equally well from the iPad screen.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#34 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

The more things change, the more they stay the same -- about 20 years ago, Panasonic VCRs came with a bar code reader for setting the timer, and they signed a deal with ABC to put bar codes in their ads in TV Guide (which lasted for about a year).

It lasted longer than that in a different form, VCR Plus+ and the like used numeric codes:
http://en.wikipedia....scheduling_code

The big difference of course is that with the iPhone App, this is just software (and print) .. heck, you could probably just scan it off of the web page. Seems like something relatively easy to add now vs. 20 years back as the costs are significantly lower at this point.

VCR Plus was simple too. They just generated a code and threw it in with the listings that were already being printed. Essentially no cost and very simple.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#35 OFFLINE   NoggenFogger

NoggenFogger

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

Note: This is an example of a QR Code (not a DirecTV QR Code) - you will get an error if you attempt to scan this code with the DirecTV App.

There is an APP for your Iphone from AT&T which not only reads QR Codes but will allow you to generate your very own QR Code. If you use the AT&T APP with the code above, it will link you to a Wikipedia Page on inedible fungus..

Interestingly enough, I scanned this QRCode with the Redlaser app, and was directed to "Todays Featured Article" about Laurence of Canterbury.

#36 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

I had one of those, came with a little wand for scanning the codes. It also had a sheet with codes for all the different days/times/channels so if you didn't have a premade code for a program you couls manually scan those vs. inputting them via the panel/remote. Never really did take off, too bad it was a nice idea.

VCR Plus and it was around a lot longer than that actually.

http://www.vcrplus.c...otification.asp

#37 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

What was the mouse like scanner - I think Radio Shack sold them or gave them away - 'CopyCat'? - 15 or 20 years ago to read barcodes in magazines or newspapers? Didn't last a year. . .

but again, like Doug said, things like this for the smartphones are software and becoming ubiquitous - a $20 word for everywhere.

Fluffy's code sends you to Today's Featured article on Wiki.

That was the CueCat scanner that The Shack gave away. Outside of Digital Convergence's "proprietary" purpose the hardware was a piece of junk compared to real scanners of the time. There's probably more of them in landfills now than E.T. game cartridges for the Atari 2600.

http://www.cedmagic....cat/cuecat.html

I did try using the one I had for cataloging CEDs but like scanning CueCat codes it became a novelty after awhile and was junked soon thereafter.

#38 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

VCR Plus and it was around a lot longer than that actually.

http://www.vcrplus.c...otification.asp

Never used plus codes even when I owned a vcr that supported it. I think the VCR Co-Pilot my grandpa gave me one Christmas on a lark got more use.

#39 OFFLINE   ICM2000

ICM2000

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

Scanned the CNBC code from my flat screen to a Droid X. They show the QR symbol through out the day. It downloaded the CNBC stock and news ap. Very fast and simple.

#40 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,859 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:13 PM

I did try using the one I had for cataloging CEDs but like scanning CueCat codes it became a novelty after awhile and was junked soon thereafter.

I had a CueCat scanner, and with a hardware modification or a software driver, you had a decent UPC scanner for a Dvd collection.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...