Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24 - On all the time?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aizjanika

aizjanika

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

I'm trying to set up my Harmony One remote. The setup is asking me if I want to leave the HR24 on all the time. I've been using mostly Tivos up to now and I know they stay on all the time. Does an HR24 (or HR22, etc.) stay on all the time? Or do they shut off and turn on only when recording or when someone is watching? Thanks in advance for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,816 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'm trying to set up my Harmony One remote. The setup is asking me if I want to leave the HR24 on all the time. I've been using mostly Tivos up to now and I know they stay on all the time. Does an HR24 (or HR22, etc.) stay on all the time? Or do they shut off and turn on only when recording or when someone is watching? Thanks in advance for any help.

All DirecTV HD DVRs "stay on all the time", in terms of operating - the power on them never actually gets turned off.

They can record anything scheduled whether in "power up" mode or "standby" mode. To watch something, they need to be powered up.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

The only way to power off a DVR is to pull the plug from the wall outlet.

Other than that is "on" even when it's "off".
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:41 AM

As HDTVFan mentioned, it's best to look at it as putting the recevier in suspend mode. All that really does though is turn off the audio/video outputs on the receiver.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

The others are correct; however you'll want to select to turn the unit off when not in use in your activity section of the harmony setup. This will turn off the front lights and shut off the outputs on the back; basically placing it in standby for all intensive purposes. It will wake to record by itself. :grin:

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:43 AM

The others are correct; however you'll want to select to turn the unit off when not in use in your activity section of the harmony setup. This will turn off the front lights and shut off the outputs on the back; basically placing it in standby for all intensive purposes. It will wake to record by itself. :grin:

One minor correction. It won't wake by itself to record. Even while in standby mode it will record. While the front lights will stay off and the outputs on the back remain off, you will notice the Record light will be on.

- Merg

#7 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

All this is true. In standby the lights are off and there is no output. It's important to understand the hard drive and fan (if any) are still running.

It's still buffering live TV but if DP was activitated and you put the unit in standby it will stop buffering the background tuner.

Of course it will record what's in the To-Do list.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#8 OFFLINE   aizjanika

aizjanika

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thank you. That makes sense.

The Harmony setup didn't seem to know the HR24 remote. It had to learn it. It didn't know my Tivo remote either. I don't remember it being this difficult to set up the last time around.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:28 AM

Thank you. That makes sense.

The Harmony setup didn't seem to know the HR24 remote. It had to learn it. It didn't know my Tivo remote either. I don't remember it being this difficult to set up the last time around.

IIRC, the Harmony IR database has all eight of the RCxx codesets. The HR24 uses the same codesets as all the other HR2x/H2x receivers. I have the 550 and the HR2x codeset were there.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

IIRC, the Harmony IR database has all eight of the RCxx codesets. The HR24 uses the same codesets as all the other HR2x/H2x receivers. I have the 550 and the HR2x codeset were there.

Mike

I just programmed my 880 to accept a second codeset in order to control two receivers independently. It required me to transmit a few commands from my Directv remote into the sensor of the Harmony (so it could determine which set to use), but it worked just fine.

#11 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Ok, DVRS always stay technically "on" On my Harmony, I have it set to turn off just to turn off the lights....

#12 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,918 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:32 PM

Ok, DVRS always stay technically "on" On my Harmony, I have it set to turn off just to turn off the lights....

That's correct, the lights are out and there is no output.

Mike

µß

#13 OFFLINE   Mark20

Mark20

Godfather

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:13 PM

As a side note, "shutting off" the receiver also saves some CPU processing horse power.
-- Mark

1 HR24-100
1 R15-100

"They'll take my DVR from me when they pry it from my cold dead fingers."

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:38 AM

As a side note, "shutting off" the receiver also saves some CPU processing horse power.

Not really sure about that. As far as we know it just turns off the audio/video outputs on the back of the receiver. All other aspects of the receiver continue to function. So, I'm not sure how that will reduce CPU cycles.

- Merg

#15 OFFLINE   aizjanika

aizjanika

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

Mike

I have my other Harmony One programmed to control the HR22-100 that I have in our famly room and have never had a problem with it. The new Harmony One (for my home office) does not like the HR24-500 that we have. I've put it in as a satellite receiver (and it knows it's a sat/DVR device), but it says it cannot change the channels. I've entered it as a DVR (and again knows it's a sat receiver/DVR), but it again says it can't change the channels.

So now we are taking your advice and trying to enter it as an HR22 or HR23, but that is also not working. It still says it can't change the channels. We've tried entering it as several types of devices, but no matter what we do, it doesn't work. I have no idea what we're doing wrong, because we had no problem setting up the other remote 2 years ago.

However, when I plugged in my older remote to my desktop (programming the new one on my laptop, so there won't be any confusion), there was an update for the HR22-100. I allowed the update so the Harmony added it as an extra device (not affecting the original HR22 settings) and it's calling this one a PVR and says it is not compatible with any of my activities. I'm not sure what the point of this update was then, but it makes me wonder if perhaps there's been some update that caused the Harmony to assume any new HR22s are DVRs only. Or if I'm the only one having this issue, perhaps it's just us.

This is getting very frustrating.

ETA: My husband fixed it. He had to delete everything and start over. I must have done something wrong in the initial setup and for some reason, no matter what new devices we added or how we set up the activities, it kept including my bogus info also and somehow messing things up.

Edited by aizjanika, 27 December 2010 - 03:35 PM.
updated info

#16 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

Not really sure about that. As far as we know it just turns off the audio/video outputs on the back of the receiver. All other aspects of the receiver continue to function. So, I'm not sure how that will reduce CPU cycles.

- Merg

What is more likely is that it frees up some processor cycles to do required housekeeping. From the beginning it has been noted that when in "standby", the unit is available to do housekeeping and pushed updates, whereas if the unit is in use, it has to have a "period" of inactivity elapse before the houskeeping routines will run.

Other than that, on and off are pretty much the same, except as noted above. Since I actually sleep at night and don't do a ton of recording overnight, I've left all my DVRs on all the time for years. They only leave that state when I have to pull the plug for some reason.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#17 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

is it harmful to leave it on all the time? i like having the buffer grab something when i turn on the tv!

#18 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

is it harmful to leave it on all the time? i like having the buffer grab something when i turn on the tv!

Nope; it's no more harmful to leave the outputs of the receiver on and really not much more energy usage then when in standby anyways....

#19 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

thanks!

#20 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

On or "Off" does interact with the auto padding feature so it can be handy to turn the unit "off".

When the unit is on it will not prompt you and will skip padding 2 back to back recordings on different channels as it doesn't want to use both tuners for recording since you are watching one. If the unit is off it will use both tuners and will pad both recordings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...