Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DECA Self install and Professional SWM install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:49 PM

I will be moving soon and I will be using the movers connection (I have to have a SWM install, I have only one line ran to my dvrs). I plan to buy all the DECA hardware myself (I can get it cheaper online). How should I go about this:Option 1: Hook it up before the intaller gets there, then tell them. Option 2: Hook it up after the intaller leaves. Option 3: Notify the installer that I will be hooking it up after he leaves.

Another Question:
Where will the SWM power inverter have to go, as I have planned to have it near a tv?

THANK YOU

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

I will be moving soon and I will be using the movers connection (I have to have a SWM install, I have only one line ran to my dvrs). I plan to buy all the DECA hardware myself (I can get it cheaper online). How should I go about this:Option 1: Hook it up before the intaller gets there, then tell them. Option 2: Hook it up after the intaller leaves. Option 3: Notify the installer that I will be hooking it up after he leaves.

Another Question:
Where will the SWM power inverter have to go, as I have planned to have it near a tv?

THANK YOU

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

What kind of setup do you have at your current location? Do you have a SWM-LNB, SWM8, or a legacy setup. Depending on what you have, you might be able to set it up as the installer is setting up your new dish at the new location.

If you don't have a SWM setup now and have purchased a SWM8, then the installer will probably set up a legacy setup at your new location. You will need to make sure that he runs four cables to the home run area for all your cables. This is where things might get tricky if you currently only have 2 or 3 tuners as normally the installer would only be running down 2 or 3 cables then from the dish.

If you purchased a SWM-LNB, you might be able to convince the installer to use it instead of a legacy LNB, but you might end up putting it up there yourself.

With a SWM8, you need 4 cables coming down to the SWM8. You can put the PI where the SWM8 is as that is usually the most logical spot.

Adding on DECAs to each of the receivers while the installer is there is not that big of a deal. The one issue you might have is getting an extra cable run or a splitter to be able to hook up the Broadband DECA as that work will not be on the work order.

Are you sure that the WHDVR upgrade won't be worth it for you?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:33 PM

On a Mover, the key question is: are all the receivers SWM compatible?

If the answer is "yes", then the computer will build the Mover with a SWM automatically.

If the answer is "no", then you'll get a legacy (non-SWM) install, unless you also order WHDVR, which forces all receivers to be SWM-compatible (but NOT HD or MRV compatible).

Usually, if you order WHDVR as part of a Mover, you'll get a discount.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:34 PM

On a Mover, the key question is: are all the receivers SWM compatible?

If the answer is "yes", then the computer will build the Mover with a SWM automatically.

Nice. Part of the move to SWM by DirecTV, I suppose.

- Merg

#5 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

ok, my present location has a standard KaKu 3 Slimline Dish. I ordered a swm splitter to split a line to where my router will be. The Entire house is prewired (by myself, to only later find out I will have to tweak it a little for SWM, nothing major, just better compression clamps and 3Ghz couplers). I have WHDVR service at my present location going through a DEDICATED wireless network. My Recievers: R22(w/HD), HR24, H23. Thank You

#6 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:50 PM

I may just have DTV set it up for me, any ideas on cost?

#7 OFFLINE   mashandhogan

mashandhogan

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

Sorry for so many replies, my brain is moving in 2000 different directions, but I want a SWM LNB

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:15 PM

Okay, according the BZ, you should get a SWM-LNB setup using Mover's Connection to your new house.

You'll need 3 DECA's (1 for the R22, 1 for the H23, and 1 will be the Broadband DECA). DirecTV should install a 4-way splitter where the single coax comes into the house to hook up all 3 receivers. They will also, most likely, put the SWM-PI there as well.

For the Broadband DECA, you will also need a PI and it will need to be located near a ethernet run that goes to your router. If you want, you can put in an extra splitter near one of your receivers and then connect the Broadband DECA to a wireless ethernet adpater, which it seems you use in current location. You will most likely need to supply that extra green-label splitter.

The WHDVR upgrade is currently $199, but with the Mover's Connection you might be able to get it for less. Just make sure that it includes the Cinema Connection Kit (Broadband DECA and PI).

HTH,
Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...