Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My experience with a local satellite provider

nomad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:50 PM

Was experiencing some suboptimal signal strengths so I called out a local satellite service provider to peak my signal. In the end, the tech achieved some better readings, he checked my connections, cleaned off ones that had a tiny bit of rust on them (the dish install was in 2/08), and replaced a fitting on my OTA antenna.

Notable was the tech's hard sell to "get me all new equipment" once he heard my install was over two years old. Better yet, he said I could (Read: should) switch to DISH and could avoid the service call charge ($89). I told him I had re-upped with some D* replacement receivers over the years and was still under commitment anyway. He was none too pleased that he couldn't up-sell me.

FWIW, he used a Bird Dog meter, and as I stated earlier, he achieved improvement in what I had (had some readings on 103 and 99 that were in mid and high 70s; after his tweaking the lowest I had was mid-80s). When I asked him if that was the best he could do, he said peaking in our part of the country is extremely difficult (Tucson, AZ) and that generally he doesn't get concerned unless a customer has readings in the 50s and 60s. In Phoenix (120 mi. north), he said, "Techs sometimes do D* installs with 2 dishes because of the difficulty getting good readings (really?)

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

That guy was on crack.

Anything sub 80, accross the US, will fail the installation verification hands down. Passing levels vary by market, but most if not all are at least 85 or higher.

As for two dishes to get better signals. Thats funny. Not even remotely true.

If anything, the further south you are, the better your max readings should be.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:04 PM

That guy was on crack.

Anything sub 80, accross the US, will fail the installation verification hands down. Passing levels vary by market, but most if not all are at least 85 or higher.

As for two dishes to get better signals. Thats funny. Not even remotely true.

If anything, the further south you are, the better your max readings should be.

Thanks for the input RobertE.

Is there any knowledge of what the actual acceptable strengths are by zip code? I did call D* last month about my signal strengths and they commented on difficulty with signal strengths "in my part of the country" Could this tech just be regurgitating what D* is telling his outfit?

As far as the installation verification is concerned, I recently added a HR24-500 to my setup which i purchased from a reseller (and got credited by D*),. When I hooked it up and called in for activation, I do remember getting some sort of error (don't recall exactly what it was) and the D* CS rep told me to ignore the error warning and just to click "OK" to get through the activation. When I asked him, jokingly, about ignoring the "error" he said that every HR24 that gets activated has that error and that the error was a bug.

And just for my edification, is it not remotely true, as you put it, that two dishes can't get a better signal, or that it is not remotely true that any D* install would ever involve two dishes for reasons of signal strength (even if the logic behind it is flawed)?

SL5-SWM

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

The error you got was REDX's From the transponders that were below level-meaning your dish needs adjustment and all cable connections should be redone or at least checked for damage from weather.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

And just for my edification, is it not remotely true, as you put it, that two dishes can't get a better signal, or that it is not remotely true that any D* install would ever involve two dishes for reasons of signal strength (even if the logic behind it is flawed)?

Only in Alaska & Hawaii are two dishes used for signal strength and this is because they're out of the arc of the SATs, so 110 & 119 have to be pointed slightly differently than the 99/101/103 dish.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

The error you got was REDX's From the transponders that were below level-meaning your dish needs adjustment and all cable connections should be redone or at least checked for damage from weather.

Well at least I have dbstalk members not feeding me bunk. Thanks folks.

SL5-SWM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nomad

spam firewall