Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (833 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (667 votes [80.07%])

Percentage of vote: 80.07%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (86 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

3. I don't care. (80 votes [9.60%])

Percentage of vote: 9.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

DirecTV has slowly been adding more and more in-guide ads and banners. Just now I went to look for a movie to watch and typed in 500. I was greeted with *4* lines of ads, and 2 channels worth of guide. I page down, and there is a fifth in-guide ad. Yes, in 12 lines of guide area, 5 of them are ads. Am I the only one that finds this ridiculously stupid and annoying?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

Normally I would say yes but in the 500 example you gave the banner ads are promoting the new "on demand" channels.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

What's the difference between options #2 and #3?

The banner ads have never bothered me, so I don't care.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:19 PM

I presume you're talking about the onscreen guide? I seldom use it to look for anything, preferring Titantv.com.
But I'll test in the next day to see how annoyed I can get.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

A competitor has an option to turn it off. Hidden in Enhancements ...

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

DirecTV has slowly been adding more and more in-guide ads and banners. Just now I went to look for a movie to watch and typed in 500. I was greeted with *4* lines of ads, and 2 channels worth of guide. I page down, and there is a fifth in-guide ad. Yes, in 12 lines of guide area, 5 of them are ads. Am I the only one that finds this ridiculously stupid and annoying?

HBO and Cinemax VOD were launched last night for the first time on DIRECTV. As a result, those two banners were added to let customers know. There will be a more "elegant" solution down the road to inform customers, but for now that's what is used as a quick, cost effective way to let customers know those services have launched. For customers without broadband connections, they didn't even see those banners. They were specifically targeted to customers that have on Demand HD-DVRs and may not have known those services were launched.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

Is it BlackArrow work ?

#8 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Every so often they show up in the sports section as well. I don't love them but at least they are relevant. The local cable company places actual ads for things like cars and electricians in their guide. I can deal with this stuff.

#9 OFFLINE   Juppers

Juppers

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:30 AM

HBO and Cinemax VOD were launched last night for the first time on DIRECTV. As a result, those two banners were added to let customers know. There will be a more "elegant" solution down the road to inform customers, but for now that's what is used as a quick, cost effective way to let customers know those services have launched. For customers without broadband connections, they didn't even see those banners. They were specifically targeted to customers that have on Demand HD-DVRs and may not have known those services were launched.

Isn't that what the TVMail feature is for? At least those you can delete after you have read them .

#10 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Isn't that what the TVMail feature is for? At least those you can delete after you have read them .

The number of people who actually read TVMail is probably pretty low. I used to, until they started sending out useless crap every other day. Now I just leave it alone and ignore the indicator.

#11 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:21 AM

Absolutely.
I've never liked the banner ads.

#12 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:11 AM

Those banners slow down the "legacy" HR machines, I don't care for them at all.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#13 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:32 AM

I don't care...now.

I did care when I was using the HR21-200, it seemed to slow it down. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#14 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:36 AM

I don't care...now.

I did care when I was using the HR21-200, it seemed to slow it down. :)

Ditto...not even the wife or youngins' seems to care about it at this point. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,518 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:37 AM

Am looking forward to the more "elegant" solution.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   hobie346

hobie346

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:17 AM

Give me the option to remove or more...guide ads. No I don't like 'em but at the moment Direct controls the guide and therefore the ads. The only upside is the current ads are for Direct programs.

#17 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

I agree, at least the ads are for D* stuff. The cable company here puts whatever someone wants to pay for in their guide, not just shows they have on demand. You sometimes hear people say that satellite TV and radio and also cable TV shouldn't have commercials. "I have to pay to watch/listen to commercials?!" I understand networks have to pay for the shows, that is why we have commercials, but I pay for satellite service, and included in that is the cost to program the STB and all the related backend to make it work, and I think it would be "ridiculous" if AT&T, Target, Axe, etc started showing up on my STB so whoever is providing service can make more money.

As long as they remain just colorful eye-catching ways of showing what would normally be in the guide anyway, they are ok I guess, although I still don't care for the noticeable lag on legacy boxes.

That's another reason I don't like the cable here. The guide works in pages, and its 4 lines of shows then an advertisement. Next page is 4 lines then an ad. That's right, an ad on every page. Complete bull, especially when you have to pay for each active box, each with it's own DVR service fee.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#18 OFFLINE   william8004

william8004

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

I remember when we didn't see commercials before the movie at the local theater.

"The Times They Are A-Changin'"

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,473 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

I remember when we didn't see commercials before the movie at the local theater.

Me, too! When the only way to see a preview was..... the Previews at the theatre....they were welcomed with enthusiasm. Now I try to go late enough to miss all that, or more likely wait for home viewing.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:17 AM

The multi-colored liquid they used to show was great.

spam firewall