Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (852 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (683 votes [80.16%])

Percentage of vote: 80.16%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (88 votes [10.33%])

Percentage of vote: 10.33%

3. I don't care. (81 votes [9.51%])

Percentage of vote: 9.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#426 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

I don't even look at them anymore, after viewing them as a nuisance forever.

They've become like ads on websites, I don't even look.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using DBSTalk mobile app

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#427 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I hate them!

It is bad enough that we have to watch or fast forward thru commercials while trying to view other content but to have the company that WE PAY for TV to stick these things glaringly  in our guide is just unforgivable and totally not necessary !

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#428 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,220 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

I think we have gotten so used to ads on everything that they probably just don't matter that much.  I think many sites and even DirecTV is there for the ads only. Does anyone actually click on them, on purpose, or watch all the commercial stations?

it's matter

- taking visual space out of important useful info like EPG

- taking your [brain] time to sort out relevant info out of annoying ads

- to some ppl, destabilize moods - yeah, really, to much annoyance and your brain must adjust to it

- they taking a memory what is necessary for other processes and do slow down the receivers

etc

#429 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:13 PM

Here's an issue. If I'm on ch 501 watching it and I want to check the guide, when I push guide its a full screen of ads! Ridiculous you can't even check the guide if tuned to 501 on a DVR!

Row 1: Game of thrones catch up OD
Row 2: Max OD (why isn't this next to max?)
Row 3: Showtime OD (why isn't this next to Showtime?)
Row 4: HBO OD (redundant with GoT OD)
Row 5: Starz OD (why isn't this next to Starz?)
Row 6: Encore OD (why isn't this next to Encore?)

But still I think an EASY fix would just be put each on demand banner next to its appropriate service. I have Max, Encore and Starz hidden (don't subscribe) so why would I need to see those banners attached to HBO? Trying to download content off those other banners would result in an error for me anyway.

I know these are older posts, but they did move those banner ads next to each's appropriate service. Their no longer all attached to 501. It was changed a while back, I think at least 6 months or longer ago.  

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 7am-12:30am ET) DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25.99 ($30.99 with HBO) | 3=$36.99 ($41.99 with HBO) | 4=$45.99 ($50.99 with HBO) | All 5=$57.99 per month

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#430 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,082 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

I know these are older posts, but they did move those banner ads next to each's appropriate service. Their no longer all attached to 501. It was changed a while back, I think at least 6 months or longer ago.  

Oh really?  I'll have to check.  For a long time I've just gotten used to typing in "502" when in the guide and hitting up arrow once if I want to see premium channels.  So I haven't noticed since DirecTV trained me to alter my behavior.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#431 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

This topic started in 2010, I don't thing they are going away anytime soon. Time to get over it.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#432 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

I wish they were going away, but I agree those ads are here to stay.

This topic started in 2010, I don't thing they are going away anytime soon. Time to get over it.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...