Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
429 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (847 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (678 votes [80.05%])

Percentage of vote: 80.05%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (88 votes [10.39%])

Percentage of vote: 10.39%

3. I don't care. (81 votes [9.56%])

Percentage of vote: 9.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#381 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Here's an issue. If I'm on ch 501 watching it and I want to check the guide, when I push guide its a full screen of ads! Ridiculous you can't even check the guide if tuned to 501 on a DVR!

Row 1: Game of thrones catch up OD
Row 2: Max OD (why isn't this next to max?)
Row 3: Showtime OD (why isn't this next to Showtime?)
Row 4: HBO OD (redundant with GoT OD)
Row 5: Starz OD (why isn't this next to Starz?)
Row 6: Encore OD (why isn't this next to Encore?)

Sure there's the blue button mini-guide but sadly it cannot be configured to show 2 or 3 lines like on Cable's "I-guide". Or there's no Xfinity X1 or Fios like side by side "mini" guide either.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:28 PM

Here's an issue. If I'm on ch 501 watching it and I want to check the guide, when I push guide its a full screen of ads! Ridiculous you can't even check the guide if tuned to 501 on a DVR!

Row 1: Game of thrones catch up OD
Row 2: Max OD (why isn't this next to max?)
Row 3: Showtime OD (why isn't this next to Showtime?)
Row 4: HBO OD (redundant with GoT OD)
Row 5: Starz OD (why isn't this next to Starz?)
Row 6: Encore OD (why isn't this next to Encore?)

Sure there's the blue button mini-guide but sadly it cannot be configured to show 2 or 3 lines like on Cable's "I-guide". Or there's no Xfinity X1 or Fios like side by side "mini" guide either.

It takes ONE button press to move past them...one.
DTV = Digital Television

#383 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

It takes ONE button press to move past them...one.

That still doesn't explain why the banners are not next to the prospective channels.
Max OD next to 515.
Starz OD next to 525.
Encore OD next to 535.
Showtime OD next to 545.

Also under settings > display put a line item for mini guide size with options of 1(default), 2, 3, 4 row. I would change it to 4 row and just use the blue button mini guide 90% of the time. I liked the mini guide on cable.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#384 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

That still doesn't explain why the banners are not next to the prospective channels.
Max OD next to 515.
Starz OD next to 525.
Encore OD next to 535.
Showtime OD next to 545.

Also under settings > display put a line item for mini guide size with options of 1(default), 2, 3, 4 row. I would change it to 4 row and just use the blue button mini guide 90% of the time. I liked the mini guide on cable.

They are where they are because that is where they want them. They are very effective from what we do know. They serve a purpose. That's the only explanation any of us need. It takes a single button press to move past them. We will survive this tragic event.
DTV = Digital Television

#385 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

They are where they are because that is where they want them. They are very effective from what we do know. They serve a purpose. That's the only explanation any of us need. It takes a single button press to move past them. We will survive this tragic event.

Obviously this is not a tragedy but people are allowed to vent their feelings. There is no need to belittle people for their personal feelings. For instance, while I didn't mind a few lines of ads, I do mind a full screen. Sure, it is "one button"... plus any delay.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#386 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

Sounds as a pastor on TV .... Or a politician.

The method of wording well known in psychology - to induce own mind in other's brain.

#387 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

How more effective can you be than simply arrowing left to the channel and following the on screen instructions to go to on demand. It clearly says press select to see on demand. If the triangle isn't clear enough then maybe color the channel cell with a colorful background indicating select me!

But still I think an EASY fix would just be put each on demand banner next to its appropriate service. I have Max, Encore and Starz hidden (don't subscribe) so why would I need to see those banners attached to HBO? Trying to download content off those other banners would result in an error for me anyway.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#388 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm not terribly upset by the ads in the guide, but it IS a bit ridiculous when you are in the guide, punch in "501" and go to a point in the guide that doesn't even show the channel you selected. You have to press page down AND down arrow once, just to see the detail of what is actually on 501!

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#389 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm not terribly upset by the ads in the guide, but it IS a bit ridiculous when you are in the guide, punch in "501" and go to a point in the guide that doesn't even show the channel you selected. You have to press page down AND down arrow once, just to see the detail of what is actually on 501!

Excellent observation. If the selection ended up on the channel I requested, I'm less annoyed about what is above.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#390 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

It used to be you type 501 and it would show 501 at the very bottom as the only channel listings. 5 rows of ads would be on top. Then we all got to discussing this in the thread here, and I swear DirecTV is playing games with us! Now 6 rows of ads! I'll stand by my solution that on demand banners should be next to their appropriate channel.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#391 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

It used to be you type 501 and it would show 501 at the very bottom as the only channel listings. 5 rows of ads would be on top. Then we all got to discussing this in the thread here, and I swear DirecTV is playing games with us! Now 6 rows of ads! I'll stand by my solution that on demand banners should be next to their appropriate channel.

I gots no problem with this solution, though the marketing people might. They must not have a problem with this many banners at home.

peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#392 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Perhaps marketing people getting payroll from the ads ? Regardless if customers swallow it :(

#393 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Perhaps marketing people getting payroll from the ads ? Regardless if customers swallow it :(

Of course they make money, it's called commission. Do you work for free at your job?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#394 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

doesn't matter, as there is no job for old man

#395 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:13 PM

They want to push the fact that some on demands can be pushed through the sattelite dish depending on bandwitdh. Hopefuly they will allow a software update to make this an option to turn off.

#396 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

Of course they make money, it's called commission. Do you work for free at your job?

+ 1. Agreed.

#397 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

With OWN going to HD today, how is one supposed to see the banner ad if its attached to the HD channel? Even though the number is the same, the system cannot make that connection and automatically upgrade to the HD feed of OWN on the favorites list.

With the banner ad attached to a channel that is hidden, the whole marketing reach thing is BS. There's no marketing reach at all. You would be better off sending TV Mail or emails.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#398 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

With OWN going to HD today, how is one supposed to see the banner ad if its attached to the HD channel? Even though the number is the same, the system cannot make that connection and automatically upgrade to the HD feed of OWN on the favorites list.

With the banner ad attached to a channel that is hidden, the whole marketing reach thing is BS. There's no marketing reach at all. You would be better off sending TV Mail or emails.

My guess is because very few people use the custom guides. I know most of the people I know with DirecTV never used them until I set them up for them. Most installers set it to channels I get, and hide SD duplicates, and the customers just leave them that way. So in that case the new HD channel does automatically show up in their guide, and they will see the ad and might check out the channel to see what it looks like in HD. It may also remind them to change their series links to the new HD channel.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#399 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:38 AM

I can understand not using custom guides with cable (in fact most provides you can't). But with as many infomercial / shopping as DirecTV has... I couldn't imagine not running a custom guide. It seriously has like 10 times more infomercial channels than cable, all in random places. Plus there's so many items that still show up under channels I get - even if you don't get them.

I just wish the system made that connection when a channel went HD. If the channel was in your favorites, the HD upgrade should come along too. If that's not possible then simply attach the banner to the SD channel or a channel or two prior / after and mark it as unhideable (like those refer a friend or directv everywhere banners).

I understand about not wanting to mess with favorites lists. I'm just saying if the channel is the same virtual number, and its aware of that SD-HD connection. (Since hide SD/HD duplicates works correctly), then let it upgrade the channel in the list. Now if its a NEW number and has no existing SD-HD backend pairing, that I could see not messing with our lists.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#400 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Have the Guide Banner Ads increase in numbers?

We only get seven lines of guide by an hour & a half. When two or more slots are filled with ads, it kinda puts a dent my convenience to guide surf.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall