Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (833 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (667 votes [80.07%])

Percentage of vote: 80.07%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (86 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

3. I don't care. (80 votes [9.60%])

Percentage of vote: 9.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:14 AM

For those really annoyed at the cluttering of the guide, I recommend that we go to the Directv customer service website, log in and write there. I suspect if they get 50 or more written complaints in a short period on a single issue, they will take it very seriously.

You would have to weigh that against the number of people that click on the banners and use them daily...and the counts are in the multi millions.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 308 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:23 AM

I wonder how many of those are accidental clicks because the box didn't respond fast enough so was clicked again...

#43 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:33 AM

I wonder how many of those are accidental clicks because the box didn't respond fast enough so was clicked again...

That has happened to me a few times.

#44 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

I like the ones that tell me what ppv shows have been preloaded on my dvr.. and i have zero problem with the ones at 500, letting me know what premium channels have dod now.. two are to tell you a channel has moved, and that is at the old location of the channel which is excellent in my book.. same as they used to do, but now its more obvious and less confusing than before, and one is for a sports program that lets you hit it and one of the big games will record... I don't think this causes an issue, because they seem to be using them more to inform you of things going on rather than to sell you more products (other than the PPV) And while there are several in one spot at channel 125 and 500, otherwise, there really aren't many in the guide that i see....

As long as directv keeps them to this, and doesn't start selling general ad space for them, like a tivo would do, I'll be fine with them.

#45 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,542 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:20 AM

If the banners are things for DirecTV, I don't really mind.

If they are ads in general for another product, I do get a bit annoyed but it just isnt a big deal right now as i dont see them that much anyway

I just dont want them inserted every page

#46 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:04 AM

The ads are particularly annoying for those of us who are unable or uninterested in receiving On Demand programming. My internet setup (Hughes.net) will not support On Demand now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Sure would be nice to block ads for features that are not available.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#47 OFFLINE   crashdumy

crashdumy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:15 AM

I do not know the answer to this question because it is literally years since I built a special list of channels that would appear in the guide. Was it called "Favorites" ?.
My question is, do the banner ads appear there as well?
If they do, then that is where the line should be drawn. No banners in favorites, especially if those banners advertise channels not in your favorites.

I only use a favorites list and there are most certainly advertisements in the favorites as well. Although they are always stuck between two channels in the guide. So if you had a favorites list with only 1 channel, could there possibly be an ad? Are there more adds in the full list vs the shortened list? I'd have to look

#48 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:16 AM

I think there are too many of them, but they don't all need to vanish completely. Some are good pointers as to "ch x moved" , but we don't need to see one on every other page.

It could be worse. The local cable co has a big banner ad on the bottom of each guide page, and it's twice the height of DirecTV's ad's. They also sell that space to whomever. You could see ad's for sleeping pills, mattresses, ppv events, pizza places, walmart, etc..

As long as DirecTV stays out of that space, were cool.

I wouldn't mind if the GUI was in a higher resolution, because you could fit more lines on a single screen, then when a line is wasted on an ad, it's not as big of a loss. Maybe at 720 or 1080 height, you could fit 11 rows horizontally, and if one of those 11 was a subtle ad every few pages, no big deal. As long as they are randomly scattered throughout it's OK. If it's like cable, where its in a 'fixed' position at the bottom of the screen, then that's real annoying, because it's on every single screen.

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:42 AM

I do not know the answer to this question because it is literally years since I built a special list of channels that would appear in the guide. Was it called "Favorites" ?.
If they do, then that is where the line should be drawn. No banners in favorites, especially if those banners advertise channels not in your favorites.

Yesterday's count:
"Channels I get" had twenty-two
"Favorites" [just over 100 channels] had fourteen
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

If the banners are things for DirecTV, I don't really mind.

If they are ads in general for another product, I do get a bit annoyed but it just isnt a big deal right now as i dont see them that much anyway

I just dont want them inserted every page

+1
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#51 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

Yesterday's count:
"Channels I get" had twenty-two
"Favorites" [just over 100 channels] had fourteen

Ok, then that is where the correction should be made.
The general public gets the ad banners.
But when you create your own list, you are opting out.
An on/off toggle will not sell for them. But my suggestion is they meet midway with that.

Edited by armophob, 25 December 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

The ads are particularly annoying for those of us who are unable or uninterested in receiving On Demand programming. My internet setup (Hughes.net) will not support On Demand now or anytime in the foreseeable future. Sure would be nice to block ads for features that are not available.

You shouldn't get the ones that are for on demand if you not hooked up to the internet..

#53 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

Yes, and mine advertises VOD for channels I don't subscribe to. :(

- Chip

"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#54 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

HBO and Cinemax VOD were launched last night for the first time on DIRECTV. As a result, those two banners were added to let customers know. There will be a more "elegant" solution down the road to inform customers, but for now that's what is used as a quick, cost effective way to let customers know those services have launched. For customers without broadband connections, they didn't even see those banners. They were specifically targeted to customers that have on Demand HD-DVRs and may not have known those services were launched.

Untrue. My HR20 has not been connected for VOD for about 3 months now and I still got the 4 ads attached to 501.

Is the elegant way to be able to turn them off? Cause they are so freaking annoying. Even my wife is starting to complain about them.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#55 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

I think the ads cheapen the DirecTV service. Wasn't it just a few months ago that at a conference DirecTV was proud that they wanted to be the higher-end service and were specifically dropping and denying lower end customers?

However, I doubt that they'll ever drop them. Perhaps a good compromise would be to bury an opt-out option pretty deep in the menu for those who don't want to see them, but have them turned on by default. Sure, people would turn them off, but if people who don't want to see them are anything like me, they aren't clicking on them anyway. Why not make the customers who aren't clicking them happy by letting them declutter their interface?

#56 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,617 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

I think the ads cheapen the DirecTV service. Wasn't it just a few months ago that at a conference DirecTV was proud that they wanted to be the higher-end service and were specifically dropping and denying lower end customers?

However, I doubt that they'll ever drop them. Perhaps a good compromise would be to bury an opt-out option pretty deep in the menu for those who don't want to see them, but have them turned on by default. Sure, people would turn them off, but if people who don't want to see them are anything like me, they aren't clicking on them anyway. Why not make the customers who aren't clicking them happy by letting them declutter their interface?

I still think the best option would be to have a click on one/them, which acknowledges them, and then remove it/them.
"Their message" gets through to the customer and then the customer is no longer aggravated by them.

Seems like both sides would get what they want.
A.K.A VOS

#57 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I still think the best option would be to have a click on one/them, which acknowledges them, and then remove it/them.
"Their message" gets through to the customer and then the customer is no longer aggravated by them.

Seems like both sides would get what they want.

If it's anything like facebook, when you click on it to delete it another one comes up in it's place.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

I Agree. However, when I use the Guide I just Browse until I find something interesting and then Select it and I hardly notice it but I would prefer that it not be there.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   fiasco

fiasco

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

At some point recently my DVR took on an update that changed the guide.

It is now so full of advertisements it's practically useless. All of the additional artwork makes the guide extremely slow and unresponsive to remote commands like page up/dn ect. There is a delay with each new artwork load (which happens every time you change which channel is highlighted in the guide). Multiple pageup/down button presses are now required to get the guide to move.

DirecTV... do you have a clue?

Edited by fiasco, 07 January 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#60 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

It's called generating revenue.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall