Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
420 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (833 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (667 votes [80.07%])

Percentage of vote: 80.07%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (86 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

3. I don't care. (80 votes [9.60%])

Percentage of vote: 9.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   fiasco

fiasco

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Or devaluing your product

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

What does this have to do with CE?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#63 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:10 PM

Are you talking about all the banners at 500? Thats the only place they have that many banners.. And they are telling you about something that is new for you on the system.. I see no issues with that... If this was a tivo, it'd be ads for cars or something, and then I'd be mad...

#64 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

What does this have to do with CE?

Nothing, so I would suggest that people call customer service to complain about this nuisance.

#65 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

They have even more at 125--the start of the PPV.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#66 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

I don't consider those as ads, since they are already downloaded and ready to start watching.. They are more like additional channels of PPV with instant start time... Id rather have just those and no actual channels for PPV myself... :D

#67 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:36 AM

I see no issues with that... .

Shocker.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#68 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:36 AM

At some point recently my DVR took on an update that changed the guide.

It is now so full of advertisements it's practically useless. All of the additional artwork makes the guide extremely slow and unresponsive to remote commands like page up/dn ect. There is a delay with each new artwork load (which happens every time you change which channel is highlighted in the guide). Multiple pageup/down button presses are now required to get the guide to move.

DirecTV... do you have a clue?

If it's slowing down your guide scrolling that much you probably have other problems. Sometimes just rebooting the box speeds it up. I have a bunch of HR20's and 1 HR22 and none of them have that problem. They are all fast and responsive. While I don't like the ads (nor do I like ads on the web or on TV) it's something that we have to live with.

#69 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

Doesn't slow down my Guide (HR100), and they don't bother me abit.

#70 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:50 AM

Their not really Ads. They are in the context of what's playing on DirecTV's channels. That’s something I have little problem with. Now if they became product Ads, that's something I don't want to see.

Further, the current implementation at channel 500 is a problem...at least in my eyes. We have a limited amount of space for guide slots and using all but one for programming Ads seems kinda inefficient to me. They should have broken them up. Put HBO Ad before the HBO channels, the same for Showtime, Starz, etc. and it would be less intrusive and probably would generate less complaints.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#71 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

At some point recently my DVR took on an update that changed the guide.

It is now so full of advertisements it's practically useless. All of the additional artwork makes the guide extremely slow and unresponsive to remote commands like page up/dn ect. There is a delay with each new artwork load (which happens every time you change which channel is highlighted in the guide). Multiple pageup/down button presses are now required to get the guide to move.

DirecTV... do you have a clue?

The only big block is by PPV moives and that is for the VOD PPV.

Any ways D* set up is WAY BETTER then what comcast does in there guide.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

If it's slowing down your guide scrolling that much you probably have other problems. Sometimes just rebooting the box speeds it up. I have a bunch of HR20's and 1 HR22 and none of them have that problem. They are all fast and responsive. While I don't like the ads (nor do I like ads on the web or on TV) it's something that we have to live with.

I'll make the same comment: All my HRs are very responsive in spite of the ads. I think that hideous UPL causes more slowdowns in the Guide and Playlist than anything else.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:27 AM

I don't like the ad banners but it is only because I am used to seeing a particular block of channels in the guide on a single page and it messes that up.

Zero effect on my guide speed.

I counted a grand total of 9 between ch200 & ch 600... not really that many.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#74 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

I don't like the ad banners but it is only because I am used to seeing a particular block of channels in the guide on a single page and it messes that up.

Zero effect on my guide speed.

I counted a grand total of 9 between ch200 & ch 600... not really that many.

For me it has an almost unnoticable effect on scroll speed on my HR24 but the HR21 hesitates about half a second to a second before scrolling to a guide page with the ads. It's better than it used to be though.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#75 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

I have to say I was somewhat taken aback when I saw 5 slots full of promos for the various on demand products they just introduced, but it is only at the beginning of the 500s and it is a new product, so I thought about it and I kind of understand. But man, when your guide only has 6 lines and tons of wasted space, this can't happen very often without making people mad.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#76 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'll make the same comment: All my HRs are very responsive in spite of the ads. I think that hideous UPL causes more slowdowns in the Guide and Playlist than anything else.

Rich

Agreed!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#77 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

The ads make me mad as hell. I pay DirecTV a lot of money and still they have to hit me with these BS ads in the guide.

These DirecTV fanboi's who say "it doesn't bother me" are funny. I'm sure their the ones that like to watch the commercials instead of the program. What a joke.

#78 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

The ads make me mad as hell. I pay DirecTV a lot of money and still they have to hit me with these BS ads in the guide.

These DirecTV fanboi's who say "it doesn't bother me" are funny. I'm sure their the ones that like to watch the commercials instead of the program. What a joke.

Although I would prefer the ads weren't there, they really don't bother me. Its like the big discussion on the TV Mail Icon. Its pretty easy to ignore both. And as many of us do, we just give our opinions, some good and some bad. And I do record almost everything just so I can skip commercials.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#79 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

What really kills me is I pay a lot of money in city, state and federal taxes and I still have to see those damned billboards all over the highways. They even have ads inside Giants' Stadium and those tickets cost a small fortune! Sumpin's gotta give!

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,074 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

So what do you do, sit around and watch the Guide? :lol:

Rich

spam firewall