Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ridiculous in-guide Ads

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

Poll: Are there too many ads in the guide? (853 member(s) have cast votes)

Are there too many ads in the guide?

1. Yes! Please remove this junk or at least give us a way to hide them. (684 votes [80.19%])

Percentage of vote: 80.19%

2. No. The amount of ads don't bother me at all. (88 votes [10.32%])

Percentage of vote: 10.32%

3. I don't care. (81 votes [9.50%])

Percentage of vote: 9.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'll make the same comment: All my HRs are very responsive in spite of the ads. I think that hideous UPL causes more slowdowns in the Guide and Playlist than anything else.

Rich

Agreed!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

The ads make me mad as hell. I pay DirecTV a lot of money and still they have to hit me with these BS ads in the guide.

These DirecTV fanboi's who say "it doesn't bother me" are funny. I'm sure their the ones that like to watch the commercials instead of the program. What a joke.

#78 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

The ads make me mad as hell. I pay DirecTV a lot of money and still they have to hit me with these BS ads in the guide.

These DirecTV fanboi's who say "it doesn't bother me" are funny. I'm sure their the ones that like to watch the commercials instead of the program. What a joke.

Although I would prefer the ads weren't there, they really don't bother me. Its like the big discussion on the TV Mail Icon. Its pretty easy to ignore both. And as many of us do, we just give our opinions, some good and some bad. And I do record almost everything just so I can skip commercials.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#79 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

What really kills me is I pay a lot of money in city, state and federal taxes and I still have to see those damned billboards all over the highways. They even have ads inside Giants' Stadium and those tickets cost a small fortune! Sumpin's gotta give!

#80 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

So what do you do, sit around and watch the Guide? :lol:

Rich

#81 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:38 PM

What really kills me is I pay a lot of money in city, state and federal taxes and I still have to see those damned billboards all over the highways. They even have ads inside Giants' Stadium and those tickets cost a small fortune! Sumpin's gotta give!

Did you see the huge LCD (I guess that's what it is) billboard just before you get to the Piscataway exits coming from Metuchen? First time I saw it I damn near caused an accident. They should be banned.

Rich

#82 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,406 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

Yes, moving my vision down to the next line is total BS! I can't believe how difficult it is to look down at the next line or press down on the remote!

:rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#83 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Did you see the huge LCD (I guess that's what it is) billboard just before you get to the Piscataway exits coming from Metuchen? First time I saw it I damn near caused an accident. They should be banned.

Rich

I'm not sure how big the one you're referring to is but we have 2 within a couple miles of each other down here on I-95 in Palm Beach County that are bigger than a standard billboard. Those suckers are bright at night!

But I pay my taxes so I shouldn't see those right? ;)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#84 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

So what do you do, sit around and watch the Guide? :lol:

Rich

No, but I'm not an idiot saying "I like them". Some of these DirecTV plants make me sick.

#85 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,050 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

I say, what can you do. The fact is, things cost money. Do you think that if the ads went away, you would pay less?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#86 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

No, but I'm not an idiot saying "I like them". Some of these DirecTV plants make me sick.

There are no plants here... And I haven't seen anyone say "I like them".

Some of us just focus our anger on other things instead of ads in the guide.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#87 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

I do not watch commercials and in fact these are not truly ads.. they are in fact program reminders, though they could be considered ads for the channels involved.

However, I am not seeing any ads for Pizza Hut, Ford Motor company or any of the other ads I have seen on cable, tivo and dish boxes.

I don't like them, however they are really nothing but a nuisance and may affect me to the tune of maybe 15 seconds in a given day.

Besides, a good example... I spoke to my buddy today who is also a DirecTV customer and he didn't know about the Showtime freeview until he saw the "ad" in the guide.

There are plenty of actual issues to complain about, this isn't one of them.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#88 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,996 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

I say, what can you do. The fact is, things cost money. Do you think that if the ads went away, you would pay less?

It’s a necessary part of our entertainment. Of course it’s been that way since we’ve been broadcasting entertainment. I have no problem with programming banners in the guide.

I just wish they wouldn’t cluster so many all at once. There’s only so much real estate in the guide and only one slot being an actual channel is not good.

BTW, I have merged these posts into the the previous thread on this subject. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#89 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

I'm not sure how big the one you're referring to is but we have 2 within a couple miles of each other down here on I-95 in Palm Beach County that are bigger than a standard billboard. Those suckers are bright at night!

But I pay my taxes so I shouldn't see those right? ;)

The one I'm referring to is huge and changes ads constantly. Meanwhile, everyones going at least 70 and watching the sign, or texting or reading a map or putting on makeup. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, no?

Rich

#90 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

The one I'm referring to is huge and changes ads constantly. Meanwhile, everyones going at least 70 and watching the sign, or texting or reading a map or putting on makeup. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, no?

Rich

Yeah, that's exactly what these do. Ours even have moving video and everything. They also use them here to display "wanted" information on fugitives and such. lol
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#91 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

"A banner" here and there is one thing, while hitting a block of them that fill the whole page, is "just a bit too much" for me an others in this household, which they've commented on too.
My current work-a-round is to use a receiver [not DVR] to watch everything. The total number of banner ads hasn't ever reached 4 [yet].
A.K.A VOS

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, that's exactly what these do. Ours even have moving video and everything. They also use them here to display "wanted" information on fugitives and such. lol

I think ours does the same thing. I've been trying to avoid watching it. Not an easy thing to do.

Rich

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

"A banner" here and there is one thing, while hitting a block of them that fill the whole page, is "just a bit too much" for me an others in this household, which they've commented on too.
My current work-a-round is to use a receiver [not DVR] to watch everything. The total number of banner ads hasn't ever reached 4 [yet].

Isn't it great to be posting about such insignificant things? Just think how much the forum has changed in four years. :lol:

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Isn't it great to be posting about such insignificant things? Just think how much the forum has changed in four years. :lol:

Rich

;) if DirecTV had put these @$%*! things in four years ago, then I'd been bitching then too. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#95 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 23,030 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

;) if DirecTV had put these @$%*! things in four years ago, then I'd been bitching then too. :lol:

Can't even begin to imagine what those things would have caused back then. :)

Rich

#96 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

I wouldn't mind the ads in the guide so much if the guide didn't take a few seconds to change to the next screen when you pushed the up or down button. They make me click on those buttons more than I would like.

#97 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,051 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:56 PM

Shocker.

Shocking that I want to know what new offerings they have? Really??? :rolleyes:

#98 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,195 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

Shocking that I want to know what new offerings they have? Really??? :rolleyes:

No, shocking that you need to have them in your face every time you go into the guide.
The idea of giving the viewer a message isn't as annoying as being beaten over the head EVERY TIME I go into the guide.

If one could click on and remove them, like TVMail, then "fine".
A.K.A VOS

#99 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:54 PM

Rich

There are a couple on the turnpike as well. One going south just before 8A on the northbound side. Absolutely amazing clarity. Don't think they are LCD. Probably the same thing they use in football/baseball stadiums.

#100 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

Their not really Ads. They are in the context of what's playing on DirecTV's channels. That’s something I have little problem with. Now if they became product Ads, that's something I don't want to see.

I do not watch commercials and in fact these are not truly ads.. they are in fact program reminders, though they could be considered ads for the channels involved.

So ya'll must be completely fine with channels that flash on screen graphics reminding you watch you are watching now, and also telling you what comes on that channel next, tomorrow, 2 weeks from now, etc.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

Protected By... spam firewall...And...