Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Raycom Media - No Contract after 12/31

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:48 PM

From KOLD.COM

Important notice for DirecTV subscribers
There is a possibility this station could cease being carried by DirecTV at midnight on Dec. 31 if ongoing negotiations fail.

These are the affected stations...mainly on the South East Quadrant of the US but a few stretch a bit west...

http://www.raycommedia.com/stations/

Good to have the antenna installed....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

The local NBC affiliate here in Huntsville Alabama, WAFF, last night (21 Dec.) started running a crawl stating that they were in negotiations with DTV to stay on the air after 31 Dec.

On the WAFF website one of their statements says:

"6. Doesn't this come down to money?

No. It is about our commitment to providing the quality news, weather, sports and entertainment, programming our viewers have come to expect from us over the years.

This station invests millions in this community to produce the kind of local programming and news coverage that makes a difference in people's lives. DirecTV — who is using that content and charging you for it — should agree to fair compensation for the right to retransmit our signal."

I say, whenever I hear an athlete that is holding out from performing because of a contract dispute, or a TV station says "it's not about the money"...trust me it's about the money.

I really don't watch anything on NBC at this time, except the local news. However, with all three local stations pretty much running the same news, it wouldn't be too much for me to switch channels for my local news. I could care less if they were to be pulled from DTV unless WAFF and Raycom retracts their foolish demands.

ChuckZ

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:02 PM

Wait, it's not about the money but they want "fair compensation"? How, exactly, would they like to be compensated?

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:19 PM

Wait, it's not about the money but they want "fair compensation"? How, exactly, would they like to be compensated?

But it's not about the money .. :P

Seriously, though .. It's always about the money. They'll figure it out at some point.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Turtles. :)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

Turtles. :)

Then the company must be owned by this kid.

turtles_I_like_them.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

Then the company must be owned by this kid.

[ATTACH]24241[/ATTACH]

!rolling!rolling!rolling
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#8 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

I saw the message tonight on our local NBC station. I really couldn't care less. I can pick it up OTA using the antenna that comes with a Directv RF remote if I need to watch it.

#9 OFFLINE   bgothard72

bgothard72

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Birmingham, AL Fox 6 is running the message now. Our Fox is on channel 6 and they just added a 6-1 alert channel.

#10 OFFLINE   Vinny*

Vinny*

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

But it's not about the money .. :P

Seriously, though .. It's always about the money. They'll figure it out at some point.

I cannot pick up my local WWBT in Richmond with my indoor OTA antenna. All other channels come in fine. Any chance I can get a waiver for the DNS NY feed on NBC? Or should I not even bother.

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckZ

ChuckZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Vinny* et-al,

I wouldn't bother because as stated in the WAFF message:

"2. If DirecTV drops this station, won't DirecTV simply make network programming available from another station?

No. There are rules in place to prevent DirecTV from showing network broadcasts without the local broadcasters' programming. However, we are doing everything we can to ensure that we don't get to that point. If we do, viewers should remember that they can always get our programming over the Web or by using an over-the-air TV antenna."

For WAFF's (and I'm pretty sure all of the Raycom stations) whole message and if ya wanna laugh, go here:

http://www.waff.com/....asp?s=13659842

#12 OFFLINE   vroten

vroten

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well WBTV in Charlotte(CBS) is scrolling the message about Directv as well.

http://www.wbtv.com/....asp?s=13659842

Not too worried as I receive WBTV OTA with about 96% signal strength. As a matter of fact I wish Directv would credit my bill and cut off my locals as I receive all the Charlotte locals OTA.:rolleyes:

#13 OFFLINE   Rakul

Rakul

Slacker

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

I cannot pick up my local WWBT in Richmond with my indoor OTA antenna. All other channels come in fine. Any chance I can get a waiver for the DNS NY feed on NBC? Or should I not even bother.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that but I doublt being in Chesterfield you'd get one unless your far Southwest corner than maybe but I doublt it. They would just tell you to get an outdoor antenna. Hopefully I won't have to drag out my AM21 for the living room though on the first.
All on SWMLine:
HR22-100 > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-100S > HDMI > Samsung 4665 LCD [Networked]
HR20-700 > HDMI > Insignia NS-LCD26-09 LCD [Networked]
HR21-100 > HDMI > Samsung 26B360 LCD [Networked]
Full Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

Not to worry. There'll be a settlement at about 55 cents a sub, going up to 1 dollar by the fifth year of the contract, per the terms of the Fox NYC contract that now serves as the benchmark.

Of course, look for 10% annual rate hikes over the next five years.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

From KOLD.COM

Important notice for DirecTV subscribers
There is a possibility this station could cease being carried by DirecTV at midnight on Dec. 31 if ongoing negotiations fail.

These are the affected stations...mainly on the South East Quadrant of the US but a few stretch a bit west...

http://www.raycommedia.com/stations/

Good to have the antenna installed....

Same deal with WOIO (CBS Cleveland) and WUAB (Mtn Cleveland)
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

"6. Doesn't this come down to money?

No.

Yeah, right, whatever.......

One of our stations is now running the crawl OTA. Why? Can't they limit the crawl to the signal provided to Direct instead of annoying OTA viewers?

On another note, where's all the outrage on this thread and folks yelling about how they're going to cancel and go elsewhere?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

No. There are rules in place to prevent DirecTV from showing network broadcasts without the local broadcasters' programming. However, we are doing everything we can to ensure that we don't get to that point. If we do, viewers should remember that they can always get our programming over the Web or by using an over-the-air TV antenna."

Are they sure about that? This is in reference to the Time Warner/Sinclair dispute, but they seem to say they can do it.

"Earlier this year, Time Warner Cable signed a deal with Fox and as part of that deal, the network agreed to provide the cable operator its programming should one of its affiliates -- stations that carry the network's programming but are independently owned -- pull their signal."

http://latimesblogs....cast-group.html

#18 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

First our CBS/CW affiliate (now back on) and now our Fox affiliate.
http://www.wicz.com/...cle.asp?a=16876
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#19 OFFLINE   hanz_erichson

hanz_erichson

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

Birmingham, AL Fox 6 is running the message now. Our Fox is on channel 6 and they just added a 6-1 alert channel.

In Charleston, SC, they are running the alert channel too on channel 5-1. Unfortunately, the web page it tells people to go to does not currently work. It tells you to go to www.directv.com/alert for more information. Not a good thing for DIRECTV to have a broken web page to tell their side of the story to combat those crawls from Raycom.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:54 PM

Locals shouldn't be allowed to charge any provider to re transmit their signal inside their dma. Period.

spam firewall