Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVR Screensaver How to turn off ??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Whiskey River

Whiskey River

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

HR20-700 , Is there a way to disable the screen saver when video is paused ?
I looked in all menus and there is no such feature to either change the screensaver time or ON/OFF feature. Maybe its a hidden option, trick or undocumented setting.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

I am not aware that there is a way to turn the DVR's screen saver off.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,653 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Why do you want to turn it off?

I'm not aware of any way to do it, but it should never get in the way of normal operation.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

I looked in all menus and there is no such feature to either change the screensaver time or ON/OFF feature. Maybe its a hidden option, trick or undocumented setting.

If the screen saver bothers you, you could turn the TV off...:D
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#5 OFFLINE   jahgreen

jahgreen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

Just enjoy it. For example, you could have everyone in the room bet how long it will take before the DirecTV logo bouncing around the screen hits EXACTLY in a corner.
Panasonic 50px60U
(1) HR20-700, (1) HR21-100
Salamander Design Synergy Cabinet with plasma mount

DirecTV since 2004

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:42 PM

There is no way to shut it off.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

Just enjoy it. For example, you could have everyone in the room bet how long it will take before the DirecTV logo bouncing around the screen hits EXACTLY in a corner.

I like this approach. :D

And if you're listening to a SonicTap channel you can see what's playing now as you wait for the rectangle to exactly hit a corner...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

I just shut off my TV and leave on the Sound for my Doggies who Sleep really Good to The Weather Channel!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

Sounds like we have a new drinking game.

But I am not fond of the screensaver either. It looks like it was designed by a 6th-grade art student with one eye. Very one-dimensional.

Not only that but it is annoying to have that movement going on and perceptible out of the corner of your eye. What about a nice fish tank screen saver? Or a fireplace? It could still be in ROM; it would not take that much memory to do that.

At a bare minimum, let the user set the timeout from 1-30 minutes rather than forcing it to be 5 minutes. That should not take more than a few lines of code, one would think.

Maybe DTV needs an app store, which could be a profit center for them.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Wilhite

Wilhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

I don't mind the screensaver so much, but it's the random flashes of whatever is paused behind it that bother me.

#11 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:23 PM

Sounds like we have a new drinking game.

At a bare minimum, let the user set the timeout from 1-30 minutes rather than forcing it to be 5 minutes. That should not take more than a few lines of code, one would think.

Maybe DTV needs an APP Store, which could be a profit center for them.

The APP Store sounds like a Great Idea and could turn a Profit for Directv while allowing us to add APPs that we like such as a Personalized Screensaver APP.
Here's My Setup

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:52 PM

The APP Store sounds like a Great Idea and could turn a Profit for Directv while allowing us to add APPs that we like such as a Personalized Screensaver APP.

Turn on the fish tank on your Droid, see how that eats up the battery!!!

Rich

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:24 PM

Turn on the fish tank on your Droid, see how that eats up the battery!!!

Rich

Hey, you ought to see how the Slingbox Eats Up My Battery!!! That's why I bought a Backup Battery!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,890 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:42 PM

Hey, you ought to see how the Slingbox Eats Up My Battery!!! That's why I bought a Backup Battery!!! :)

I don't think the batteries are up to par for what the smart phones do. I asked a Verizon salesman if the battery technology was the same as my phone that I was replacing and he said it was. I could leave that old phone on for a week and still be able to use it. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about, but he seemed shocked when I told him I usually recharged it every night. Told me that would cause the battery to "swell" and was surprised that I hadn't experienced that problem. Told him I had every intention of plugging in the Droid every night and sure as hell wasn't gonna sit up and wait for it to get done charging. But, by that time, they had me so confused I was just happy to leave. When I got home I found some stuff he had charged me for in the bag. Stuff I didn't want. Went back the next day and got the money back. Deceitful, he was. Angry, I got.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Lithium Ion Batteries Do Not Have That Problem so he didn't know what he was talking about which is not that unusual.

I know a Guy at my Verizon and he Really Knows His Stuff Technically and he had told me stuff I didn't believe and I have looked it up and found he was Spot On so now I pretty much believe him and that is why I have a Backup Battery that I use Interchangeably with my other Battery.
Here's My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Why do you want to turn it off?

I'm not aware of any way to do it, but it should never get in the way of normal operation.

Is it normal to set up the dish using the signal strength meters? Dish got blown over in a storm today and when I went out to set it up again, I had the signal meters on. Just as I would get to some point where I needed to see the screen, the saver would go on. I had to track into the trailer with wet muddy shoes to hit pause to turn the screen back on. Then outside again then screen saver again in out in out. Pain in the patootie.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Wow, old thread. Not for installers though. If I were repeaking my dish, I'd do it when my wife was home and she'd be inside reading signals.

#18 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

Seems Jerry's even more bored than usual tonight.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#19 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

We tried the wife reading numbers tonight but our radios were not working. Because it was dark I could walk over to the window and see the tuning screen. Seems to me that something like that should be the same as Live TV and not trigger the screen saver.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#20 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

Wow, old thread...

No kidding, posted in wrong thread maybe :confused:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100