Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Trying to modernize my set-up, Help please

nfl sunday ticket

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

Current setup

• Original Slimline dish. 4 wires buried underground from dish on pole 100’ to house. Standard multiswitch (4x8?) in basement.
  • Two lines going to 2nd story bedroom with HR10-250
  • Two lines going to 1st floor living rom with SD DirecTivo (Main TV viewing)
  • Two lines going to basement HR20 (only occasional viewing there)
  • Two spare lines running to basement TV areas only connected for special occasions (Football viewing parties, March Madness, where spare older receivers are connected)
  • One external antenna on rooftop who’s wire comes into the basement at the same place where multiswitch is, but currently runs straight into the HR20.

Looking to upgrade to take advantage of some of DirecTVs newer features.

• On Demand (although the lack of major network channels makes this less of a big deal)
  • MRV
  • DirecTVtoPC?
  • Seeing pictures from my computer on the TV. This is big for me, I’m a photographer.
  • SWM (Main reason for this is that one of the lines to the upstairs bedroom is flakey, so I only have single tuner enabled right now. It would also make the occasional extra basement receiver setup a little easier)

I am used to having DVRs on all TVs in the house. Have had it this way for 8 years.

Questions:

• With MRV, any two HR2* or H2* receivers can share shows as long as one is the HDDVR, correct?
  • With MRV, I know you can only watch from another DVR’s Playlist, but as long as you start it from the playlist you can watch live as it’s being recorded, right? Is there any delay?
  • For connections to my network, I should be able to hard wire connections between my router and the first floor and basement receivers, but not to my 2nd floor bedroom.
  • I just got a new HDTV and am thinking of getting an HD-DVR for the bedroom. I would like to put the LCDTV on the wall of a closet, and putting the HD-DVR behind the wall in the closet. Does the remote that comes with a new HD-DVR come with RF capability? Does it work just about as well as the normal IR?
  • For viewing pictures on the TV, is all that is required for that to have an HD receiver connected to the network? Is the setup of this simple?

So, my idea is this: I don’t watch too much TV in the basement, so I would like to get an H2* HD receiver for there, get a new HD DVR for the new bedroom LCD, and move the HR20 to the living room. How much will it cost me to have D* do this with MRV and SWM?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:15 PM

1. Correct, except the H20 cannot do MRV. Otherwise an HR2x plus any other H/HR can do MRV.
2. Minor delay, but we're talking seconds not minutes.
3. If you do a complete SWM with whole-home, you also most likely do DECA in which case all of the H/HR networking will be over coax and your wired network connections are free for other uses. (The DECA cloud will link to your LAN for LAN/internet connectivity.)
4. Yes, RF remotes come with HD DVRs, and work with HD receivers also.
5. Someone else will need to address this, I don't use this capability.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:15 PM

With SWM only SWM compatible receivers can be used. Scrap all your old receivers.

#4 OFFLINE   Jables

Jables

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

With SWM only SWM compatible receivers can be used. Scrap all your old receivers.

The HR20 is SWM compatible, why would he scrap it?
Slimline-5 | Zinwell 6x8 | 2 x HR20-700 | HR23-700

#5 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,998 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:41 PM

• For viewing pictures on the TV, is all that is required for that to have an HD receiver connected to the network? Is the setup of this simple?

You also need to have a DLNA-compliant media server running on your computer (you can also listen to music or watch recorded videos). WMP11 or 12 will do, although there are several others (including some for OS X or Linux). Performance isn't up to the level of some other media clients, but is usable. The formats supported by the HD receivers are:

Videos - MPEG2 (bitrates < ~5 Mbps)
Music - MP3 or LPCM (WAV)
Pictures - JPEG

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:16 PM

The HR20 is SWM compatible, why would he scrap it?

For two reason, Setting up MRV is different from other HR2* and this difference often confuses the tech. And two, he'll probably get the HR24s at a good price if he deals with the correct CSR.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:59 AM

The easiest way for you to update, assuming you want directv to do all this.. call directv and say you want to upgrade to whole home at every tv, and add one additional dvr to a new tv, and you want to make sure you have dvrs at all locations like you do now. Also, you want the internet connection kit so you have on demand access.. That will get everything you are asking to be done, done...

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 03:05 AM

For two reason, Setting up MRV is different from other HR2* and this difference often confuses the tech. And two, he'll probably get the HR24s at a good price if he deals with the correct CSR.

Actually depends on which hr20 he has.. if its a -100, you are right, but if its a 700, which is what most people have, then its the same as all the others thatt don't have deca inside.

#9 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the replies all. The HR20 that I have is the HR-20 -700. I thought SWM multiswitches had some legacy ports that could be used for older receivers. Is this not true? If not, then this kills the deal for me. Thanks again for the answers and advice.

#10 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,647 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 24 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

You don't need a SWM multiswitch because you won't have more than eight tuners. The multiswitch is built into the LNB/dish. If you want to keep some legacy equipment, you will need a SWM-8 multiswitch, but they will be hesitant to install one, I think, because its not the current standard.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

While the SWM-8 module has legacy ports, with a standard setup, such as yours with no more than 8 tuners, you will get a SWM-LNB, which does not have legacy ports on it.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#12 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

It doesn't matter what CSR the OP deals with. DirecTV cannot guarantee that he will get a HR24. The only way to do that is to purchase/lease one via ebay/CraigsList or from a retailer.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:49 PM

Thanks for the replies all. The HR20 that I have is the HR-20 -700. I thought SWM multiswitches had some legacy ports that could be used for older receivers. Is this not true? If not, then this kills the deal for me. Thanks again for the answers and advice.

I don't see what would kill your upgrade if you don't have legacy outputs, because all your equipment will be able to run SWM. The hr20 will just fine...

ALL products that are compatible with MRV are also compatible with SWM...

#14 OFFLINE   jake14mw

jake14mw

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

The reason I need to use the legacy receivers is that sometimes for special events, I hook up 3 or 4 TVs in the basement. The biggest example of this is the NCAA tournament. I sometimes do this for football also.

Based on what you guys have read or heard, what's a good price to get this set up for?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...