Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF Remote Studders

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SnoBear

SnoBear

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

Just replaced an R-16 SD DVR with a new HR24 DVR and set it up for RF control just as the R16 was. I now have two Direct TV RF remotes. One that came with the new HR24 and one I previously purchased for the R16. Both remotes exhibit the same symptoms. Entering any numbers and the DVR generally sees double or even triple digits. Very hard to change stations or much of any thing else.
All other button presses will often do the same thing. In IR mode, the DVR seems OK.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Brad Phillips

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   EdL

EdL

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:18 AM

I have the same problem with my HR22-100 box.

EdL

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:32 AM

Just replaced an R-16 SD DVR with a new HR24 DVR and set it up for RF control just as the R16 was. I now have two Direct TV RF remotes. One that came with the new HR24 and one I previously purchased for the R16. Both remotes exhibit the same symptoms. Entering any numbers and the DVR generally sees double or even triple digits. Very hard to change stations or much of any thing else.
All other button presses will often do the same thing. In IR mode, the DVR seems OK.

Brad Phillips

I had that happen with a brand new 23-700. Got so bad I could stand a foot away from the 700 and it wouldn't receive remote commands. Check and see if your front panel works correctly, if it does, you might just have a bad RF sensor. My 700 did that in RF at first, then the problem migrated to IR too. Bad box. Bad sensor. Just sent it back.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   bondurch

bondurch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Brad Phillips

I to experience the double tap effect using rf on the remote. I have switched back to ir. Has anyone else experienced the issue with the new hr24 box. When you use RF mode and press a button the HR24 receives the signal twice. it makes it very difficult to change the channel.

#5 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

I to experience the double tap effect using rf on the remote. I have switched back to ir. Has anyone else experienced the issue with the new hr24 box. When you use RF mode and press a button the HR24 receives the signal twice. it makes it very difficult to change the channel.

Since you didn't post the whole model number, how would we be able to answer your questions? Just because these things seem to be identical, doesn't mean that they actually are. Post your model numbers like this: HR2X-XXX.

Rich

#6 OFFLINE   SnoBear

SnoBear

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

Mine is an H24-500. I changed it back to IR and it works fine, but is inconvenient from the other room.

Brad in Gold Canyon, AZ for the moment ...

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Mine is an H24-500. I changed it back to IR and it works fine, but is inconvenient from the other room.

I've got two 500s and both work fine in RF. All eleven of my HRs are in RF and no problems with them at all, aside from the battery failing quicker than in IR mode.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:27 PM

Brad Phillips

Taking a longshot here, but here goes anyway: Do you happen to have a new 3D TV connected to the new HR24?

#9 OFFLINE   mmcfaddin

mmcfaddin

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

Same remote issues
Double/triple entries to my HR24-500 with the RC65RX in RF mode.
Also lagginess - the combination is extremely frustrating
A number of us wish we had Rich584's luck instead.

I'm interested in your long shot TBlazer07...
yes, mine is connected to a new 3D TV

#10 OFFLINE   bondurch

bondurch

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

Since you didn't post the whole model number, how would we be able to answer your questions? Just because these things seem to be identical, doesn't mean that they actually are. Post your model numbers like this: HR2X-XXX.

Rich

No problem hr24-500.
No 3d tv

#11 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:47 PM

Same remote issues
Double/triple entries to my HR24-500 with the RC65RX in RF mode.
Also lagginess - the combination is extremely frustrating
A number of us wish we had Rich584's luck instead.

I'm interested in your long shot TBlazer07...
yes, mine is connected to a new 3D TV

You are in RF mode??? No idea why that is happening. I just got a Panasonic PX50VT25. When 3D is enabled I have that problem but I am using IR mode. The TV is sending an IR signal OUT to the glasses and it is the TV's IR signal that is killing the remotes IR function. As soon as I turn off the 3D it's fine. Don't think that would affect RF mode. I have an HR22.

Sorry, didn't realize the first post I responded to was also in RF mode. My "theory" (well, actually proven) would only affect an IR remote.

#12 OFFLINE   mmcfaddin

mmcfaddin

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:21 AM

The TV is sending an IR signal OUT to the glasses and it is the TV's IR signal that is killing the remotes IR function. As soon as I turn off the 3D it's fine. Don't think that would affect RF mode...
My "theory" (well, actually proven) would only affect an IR remote.

Thanks for sharing your proven theory :)
Don't use the 3D much but now I have another reason not to resort to IR - which isn't an acceptable solution to me for the remote issues anyway.
RF worked well in my setup before the HR24-500.

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for sharing your proven theory :)
Don't use the 3D much but now I have another reason not to resort to IR - which isn't an acceptable solution to me for the remote issues anyway.
RF worked well in my setup before the HR24-500.

I don't use the 3D at all anymore. Actually sold 2 of the 3pr of glasses I had. Kept 1 just for "demos" for the curious. My 3D IR issue may only be related to Panasonic 3D sets with active shutter glasses so I can't speak for other brands displays.

#14 OFFLINE   jms6612

jms6612

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:17 PM

I'm also experiencing the double / triple tap effect when using the included RC65RX remote in RF mode with a brand new HR24-500 receiver. The problem occurs with other RF remotes as well. The receiver firmware version is 0x452. It works fine with the remote in IR mode, however this is not an option since the TV (Vizio XVT3D424SV) and Directv receiver are in separate rooms. They are connected by a 50 ft high-speed HDMI cable. Several other customers at forums.directv.com are also experiencing the same problem. Look up the thread, 'HR24-500 double responds to remote keys in RF mode' in that forum. I hope someone at Directv is looking at this. Perhaps more key de-bouncing at the receiver end (in firmware)?

#15 OFFLINE   kschauwe

kschauwe

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

My HR24-200 stated the double RF hits after the 0454 software update last Tuesday Night.
No 3D TV here.
Dragged kicking and screaming from 2 DirecTivo's to 2 HR24's.

#16 OFFLINE   Cyclone99

Cyclone99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

I started having problems with the RF remote today on my HR24/500. Navigating through menus or the guide is about impossible because the command keeps repeating and the light on the receiver flashes rapidly. It's still on 0x452 from December. Switching to IR works.

#17 OFFLINE   jms6612

jms6612

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

My HR24-500 firmware updated from 0x452 to 0x457 on Feb 9th, however the RF remote studdering continues. Sometimes I can prevent the studdering by pressing the remote keys more briefly, but then the receiver doesn't always respond. I'm just glad that I haven't accidentally ordered any PPV movies yet ...

#18 OFFLINE   Stevies3

Stevies3

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:09 AM

I have the same issue on one of my HR24-500 & I have 3 units, none on 3D. From my past experience of programing HRC remotes. It appears to me that the delay needs to be increased. It's too responsive to a "tap" as others have stated. There must be a hidden sequence to adjust this delay.

-------------------------

DirecTV since 1996

1 x HR44

2 x C41

4 x RVU
SWM3-LNB

#19 OFFLINE   Venomous

Venomous

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

My HR24-200 stated the double RF hits after the 0454 software update last Tuesday Night.
No 3D TV here.

Same Here, Any fix for this in the works?

#20 OFFLINE   Vcook

Vcook

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:07 AM

I have the same problem! I tried searching for this and didn't find this thread so I created a new one: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192701

I hope someone has a solution :(

#21 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

The same symptoms are being seen here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=192701

Rut Ro Raggy.

(oops, missed the above post)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#22 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

I had that happen with a brand new 23-700. Got so bad I could stand a foot away from the 700 and it wouldn't receive remote commands. Check and see if your front panel works correctly, if it does, you might just have a bad RF sensor. My 700 did that in RF at first, then the problem migrated to IR too. Bad box. Bad sensor. Just sent it back.

Rich

Same here. HR23-700. The RF remote is sometimes just plain useless. D* tried to troubleshoot, but nothing worked. Didn't know about the bad sensor. I'll definitely follow up on this.

SlimLine w/SWM-16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN55HU8550 UHD 4K TV and Samsung Blu-ray BD-H6500 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 TV, Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver, and Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S3100 // HR24-100 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 TV // DirecTV since 2001

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,809 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

Same here. HR23-700. The RF remote is sometimes just plain useless. D* tried to troubleshoot, but nothing worked. Didn't know about the bad sensor. I'll definitely follow up on this.

Yet another model I don't want.

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   beckley

beckley

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

I've been struggling with this problem for a long time on my HR24/500, and I finally found an acceptable solution. I didn't want to swap out receivers due to all of my recordings. I had my receiver on a open shelf in a stand underneath my TV. I moved the receiver on to the floor under the stand, and now I no longer get the doubling behavior! The shelf had a heavy coat of paint, so maybe it was more reflective which caused the repeating? I don't know for sure, but I don't really care as much as it is working now. I thought I would share in case it might help others.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...