Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent tuner failure

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

VOS-

Just read your sticky on splitters and am looking for some hand-holding here when I get my parts.

OLD SETUP-

dish---->SWiM8---[coax 1]--thru roof--->PI---->HR24
....................|
....................|
.....................----[coax 2]--thru roof--->2-way splitter--->HR21
.........................................................................|
.........................................................................|
..........................................................................----->HR21

NEW SETUP (proposal 1)-

dish/SWM combo--->2-way splitter--[coax 1]---thru roof----PI----HR24
............................................|
............................................|
.............................................--[coax 2]----thru roof-----2-way splitter--->HR21
...................................................................................|
...................................................................................|
....................................................................................-------->HR21

(proposal 2)

dish/SWM combo--->-[coax 1]---thru roof----PI----4-way splitter---HR24
..........................................................................|
...........................................................................------>HR21
...........................................................................------>HR21

Is either proposal better than the other? Perhaps #2 because it would have 1 fewer splitter exposed to the environment? Perhaps #1 because it would allow the HR24 (which is the furthest away from the PI), to have 1 fewer splitter upstream?

Thanks

The goal/idea of this is to balance [maximize] the power at the end of each coax, while working within the coax structure in place.
The only real difference I see between #1 & #2, would be "if" the HR24 has a 50' longer coax than the HR21s. If this is the case then #1 would balance better. If all the runs are about the same, then there really isn't any advantage, as #2 would work and the "imbalance" with #1 would simply mean the HR24 would get slightly higher signal.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for that.

In fact, the HR24 is probably 50 ft or so further away than the other two units, so I will stick the first 2-way splitter on the roof (proposal # 1)

Still waiting for my parts which should be here tomorrow. I've recorded a bunch of things between 11 PM and 7 AM and found that I get 771 errors on these as well, so I'm thinking there might be something cold-related. All the problems seemed to start when our evening temps dipped below 40 and were worst when below freezing. It will be interesting to see if things are solved by the replacement SL5-SWiM. If I have the same problems after, one will probably be able to hear my F-bombs from many miles away!

One HR21 with AM21 OTA (playroom)

One HR24-100 (great room)
One HR24-500 (Master BR) with AM21 OTA
SL5-SWM
two receivers with 1TB drives in external enclosures connected via esata.
Winegard hd-1080 UHF/hi-VHF antenna

#103 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:06 PM

Well new SL5-SWiM installed without much fanfare, but I'm afraid I wiggled the dish a little too much and will probably need to have dish signal peaked again.

Before:

101 ----- 95-96%
110------95%
119------85%
99c------86%
99s------not acquired
103s-----not acquired
103ca---81%
103cb---89%
swm-----99%

After:

101 ----- 95-96%
110------95%
119------80%
99c------82%
99s------not acquired
103s-----not acquired
103ca---73%
103cb---85%
swm-----99%

Most concerning is the 103ca and 119. I hope I don't lose any local HD. Everything seems ok right now.

Will keep an eye on my old zero-ing out problem on the transponders. Hopefully, replacing both my old LNBs and SWM-8 will solve things.

Will update status as necessary.

SL5-SWM

#104 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:40 AM

What's the deal with D*? I call them and tell them I've swapped out the LNBs and have lower signal strengths (as posted above) They tell me that they are perfectly adequate and won't schedule someone to come out and peak the dish. Instead they want to troubleshoot me over the phone. I just hung up because the service rep had to put me on hold (for over 5 minutes when I hung up) because I had the temerity to say that I would gladly pay for a service call. My local guy came out once for $89. I figured going through D* this time would be slightly lower or even free. Did I break some sort of service agreement by swapping out the LNB unit on my own?

SL5-SWM

#105 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

And you still wonder why DBSTalk is here, alive and well? :lol:
I think there is a 70% cutoff, where above they won't and below they run your through a bunch of hoops before they will.
A.K.A VOS

#106 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:58 AM

And you still wonder why DBSTalk is here, alive and well? :lol:
I think there is a 70% cutoff, where above they won't and below they run your through a bunch of hoops before they will.

In other words, my 74% should be 69% ;)

SL5-SWM

#107 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

In other words, my 74% should be 69% ;)

you could always throw a wet blanket/towel over your LNB and give them those readings. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#108 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

you could always throw a wet blanket/towel over your LNB and give them those readings. :lol:

It has to be asked:

Are there any good youtube or other tutorials out there that would let me do this by myself, maybe with the wife watching the signal strengths on the tv while i'm on the roof? (i.e., no BirdDog or anything else) Or just too much hassle to learn?

SL5-SWM

#109 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

It has to be asked:

Are there any good youtube or other tutorials out there that would let me do this by myself, maybe with the wife watching the signal strengths on the tv while i'm on the roof? (i.e., no BirdDog or anything else) Or just too much hassle to learn?

First question would be "how well do you communicate with your wife & she you?" :lol:

Really, tweaking the dish isn't that hard.
I find it easier to setup a receiver & display that I can see from the dish.
With the SWiMLNB, your need to "detune" to one side to "a number", then move the fine adjuster the other way, counting the turns, until you find "the same number". Then divide the number of turns by 2 and turn it back this amount. This has now split the distance/angle between the two equal "detuned" points. Do this for AZ & EL.
You need to loosen the locking bolts/nuts for both the AZ & EL, and then use the fine tuning screws that should have dials on them.
"And then" remember to lock things back down.

For me these adjustments are so much easier than the part of yelling to find out what the screen is showing and trying to get a response [and why I setup a receiver & monitor].

YMMV :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#110 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Sounds easy enough...but I know myself and I WILL screw it up. It'll be money well spent to have someone come out. I think this time I'll watch the tech do it (even if he's using a birddog, or whatever) and in the future i'll be more comfortable trying it myself

SL5-SWM

#111 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

Not trying to hyjack this thread, but I have scanned through 5 pages looking for the final solution.

I too, am looking to solve a similar problem. After about a year of use, my SWM 3 with 8 way splitter has started intermittently loosing connection with receivers. So far, I have seen it at different times on 3 DVR's and 1 receiver.
I am using three DVR's and 3 receivers with one of the DVR's set up as a single line so as not to exceed the 8 ports.

I have, so far replaced the splitter without improvement.

I have a spare SWM 3 in my RV and after reading all the posts my next move is to go get the other LNB and bring it home to swap. I'll post results.

Thanks for all the info above.

As far as swapping the LNB, the Slimline 3 aligns exactly the same as the 5. I don't think you will need to worry about changing the dish setup unless you trip over it. It's not that sensitive and if it were it would have already been moved by wind.

Edited by jmikestock, 21 January 2011 - 10:20 AM.
Add comment

#112 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 686 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:46 AM

I was having a loss of tuner problem on my HR20. I found the problem to be the center contact on the coax female connector on the receiver wasn't making good contact with the copper wire in the cable.

HR20-100 s/w version 0x087f
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#113 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

Well, I changed out the SWM LNB. No better. Found a corroded connector exiting the PI to the LNB. Changed. No better. Next step is to go get the PI from the RV and swap. The mate to the connector I changed could be bad.

#114 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Jmikestock

Sorry you're having so many troubles. All I can say (As I have relied heavy, if not exclusively, on the expertise of others) is that you are in good hands here at DBSTALK forums. Hope things work out for you. It looks like you're going through possibilities pretty systematically.

Edited by peters4n6, 21 January 2011 - 03:49 PM.
snafu

SL5-SWM

#115 OFFLINE   jmikestock

jmikestock

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

Well I guess I finally got to the bottom of my problem. After swapping the 8 way splitter, the LNB and the PI without success I finally got to the last possibility, the incoming line.

BINGO!

#116 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

So far I have not had any problems with sat signals since replacing the SWiM-LNB combo. No dropouts. No "cold" related issues, etc... It looks like tht may have been the problem. I'll give it a couple of more weeks before I put that problem to rest.

When I hooked everything back up on the roof, I took the cable from the roof jack (which had quite a bit of slack) and just threaded it up to the output at the SWiM-LNB. If get a tech out here to peak my dish, did I not leave the tech with nowhere to plug into my satellite up on the roof? I think I'll need to rewire to have some "point of entry" to the system without have to remove the LNB unit.

Additionally, I have fresh lines going to each of my AM-21 boxes to maintain OTA. Two of my three boxes now also have great working OTA. The third (one closet to the signal) only picks up the local PBS (and rather weakly) The other two boxes pick up everything very well (I have 10 mile line of sght to antennas. So when I get home I need to troubleshoot that bad boy (It never ends, does it?)

SL5-SWM

#117 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:49 AM

A week now without any problems. Did have some pixellation for a 3-5 second spell during the wife's viewing of American Idol last night, but other than that things have been good.

SL5-SWM

#118 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

A week now without any problems. Did have some pixellation for a 3-5 second spell during the wife's viewing of American Idol last night, but other than that things have been good.

Time to update your sig... :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#119 OFFLINE   peters4n6

peters4n6

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:14 AM

thanks for reminder!

SL5-SWM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...