Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2011 DISH HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dilchahtahai

dilchahtahai

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:58 PM

Anyone knows any plan of DishNetwork to add more HD Channels? If so, what are those channel names? There is a thread for DirectTV HD and predictions for 2011, Thought its worth to have it for Dish as well.

ground rules for this thread...

1. This is the thread to discuss new potential HD from Dish for 2011.
2. This is not the thread to discuss hardware, just channels.
3. This is not a Dish vs DirecTV thread. It doesn't matter if DirecTV does or does not have a given HD channel... there are other threads for that.
4. This is not a thread to discuss channels in dispute between Dish and another company. There are other threads for that.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 26 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

As restated above, the topic of this thread is 2011 DISH HD. There is a dedicated sub-forum for 722/722K/922 talk. Please move such discussion there.

As the OP indicated, this is an anticipation thread for 2011 High-Definition programming on Dish Network.

Thanks.

Mods?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

Anyone knows any plan of DishNetwork to add more HD Channels? If so, what are those channel names? There is a thread for DirectTV HD and predictions for 2011, Thought its worth to have it for Dish as well.

DISH did fairly well in 2010 without a thread nagging them.

DISH added 27 full time national HD channels in 2010 ... two channels in AT120, an additional nine channels in AT200, an additional eight channels in AT250 and one premium movie channel. Plus seven channels in Platinum HD. Plus 7 HD PPV channels (for those who like those channels).

DISH lost the 4 full time ABC/Disney channels and it was not a good year for part time HD sports.

There are about 30 channels that DISH carries in SD (including the 4 ABC/Disney channels) that have or were expected to get HD versions in 2010 that could be carried ... but getting to 30 includes counting public interest channels such as TBN, ETWN, Daystar, CTN and NASA. Getting the ABC/Disney channels back and getting full time RSNs are probably the most desired additions.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

DISH did fairly well in 2010 without a thread nagging them.

Agreed...Dish has pretty much every HD channel we all want added on DirecTV. Your typical viewer has it good with Dish and all the HD, be happy. Dish is the HD nationals leader. If I didn't have an addiction to out of market sports, then I'd get Dish.

Edited by sigma1914, 25 December 2010 - 09:19 PM.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

As Nick stated, "this is an anticipation thread for 2011 High-Definition programming on Dish Network."
Let's wander back on topic. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:45 PM

Moderation notes...

I moved all the off-topic posts about the 922 into a thread here in the 922 support forum.

How about some ground rules for this thread?

1. This is the thread to discuss new potential HD from Dish for 2011.
2. This is not the thread to discuss hardware, just channels.
3. This is not a Dish vs DirecTV thread. It doesn't matter if DirecTV does or does not have a given HD channel... there are other threads for that.
4. This is not a thread to discuss channels in dispute between Dish and another company. There are other threads for that.

Now let's try to stay on topic and anticipate some new HD for the new year!

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 26 December 2010 - 11:59 AM.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

I would love to see Dish Network add the following HD Channels for 2011 :)

National Basic HD Channels:
  • ION (E) HD (I can receive it OTA but not reliably)
  • Outdoor Channel HD
  • IFC HD
  • Ovation HD
  • Oxygen HD
  • Fox Movie Channel HD
  • FearNet HD

RSN HD Channels:
  • Comcast Sports Southeast HD

Premium HD Channels:
  • Encore Action HD
  • Encore Drama HD
  • OuterMax HD

Edited by coolman302003, 05 September 2011 - 06:48 PM.
Updates and changes

#8 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

IFC is the only station in my favorites list that is not in HD, so that tops my list.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:02 PM

I would love to see Dish Network add the following HD Channels for 2011 :)

National Basic HD Channels:

• Disney Channel HD
  • Disney XD HD
  • ESPNU HD

Per the ground rules...

Disney and Disney XD (as well as ABC Family) are channels currently in dispute with Dish. Dish used to carry them in HD, but now does not because of a dispute.

There is no merit in discussing those specific channels in this thread because they are in limbo.

ESPNUHD is a valid channel to want and discuss, though unfortunately it likely is tied to the dispute (i.e. not likely we will see that until Dish and Disney resolve that).

Just wanted to post this as a reminder, so people don't go off-topic discussing the Dish/Disney dispute in this thread.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

I thought I remembered the Outdoor Channel and QVC being posted/discussed before as having been in a "test mode" or something at one point last year... but no real appearance by those yet.

#11 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

IFC is the only station in my favorites list that is not in HD, so that tops my list.

IFC would be nice. My top would be FoxMo(ives) but FoxMo doesn't even have a HD version of their channel yet so who knows how long, we will have to wait for it. I would hope to see more full time RSN's in 2011. Fox Sports Plus in HD would be cool, I would actually pay the $14 dollars a month for it in HD.

#12 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

My top would be FoxMo(ives) but FoxMo doesn't even have a HD version of their channel yet so who knows how long, we will have to wait for it.

Apparently you didn't notice this in my list

Fox Movie Channel HD (I put this one on this list since it apparently went live on a provider -- LINK)

It went live as of Dec 25th on Insight in Columbus, OH in HD so it definitely exists.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#13 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Apparently you didn't notice this in my list

It went live as of Dec 25th on Insight in Columbus, OH in HD so it definitely exists.

I saw the link, but I don't trust channel lineup cards from anybody. Since Fox Movies Home page still doesn't mention anything about a HD version, nor can I seem to find a reference to it being launched anywere on the internet.
It would be nice, and will continue to look for info on FoxMo being in HD, but taking the word of a cable lineup card, when the Networks own website has no info on it, I take that with a big grain of salt.

#14 OFFLINE   psdstu

psdstu

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:00 AM

As someone who does not get all there Local Channels in HD yet........I'd rather DSIH focus on getting all the Locals in HD before adding anymore National HD's.......just saying...

#15 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

I saw the link, but I don't trust channel lineup cards from anybody. Since Fox Movies Home page still doesn't mention anything about a HD version, nor can I seem to find a reference to it being launched anywere on the internet.
It would be nice, and will continue to look for info on FoxMo being in HD, but taking the word of a cable lineup card, when the Networks own website has no info on it, I take that with a big grain of salt.

Totally understand, I looked at the Insight channel line up card again and did notice it said Effective date was 1/1/11.

But... customers on the Insight forum are reporting it as live:
http://www.dslreport...-in-Columbus.OH

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#16 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

Totally understand, I looked at the Insight channel line up card again and did notice it said Effective date was 1/1/11.

But... customers on the Insight forum are reporting it as live:
http://www.dslreport...-in-Columbus.OH

Not being nitpicky, but 2 say the list is accurate, and 1 says the ads and lineup cards show effective date is 1-1-11. I would prefer to see somebody actually say they see FoxMo in HD, instead of just commenting on a list of 20 or so HD channels. I didn't see anybody saw they were watching the new channels, just which channels they were looking forward to like BBC America. You would figure the guy that wanted BBCA so he could dump Direct would comment that he was actually watching it on Insight Cable.

I do like the idea though that somebody is getting FoxMo, as that is one channel that has been needed for sometime. Granted FoxMo didn't help by not even offering a HD version for several years now.

#17 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Not being nitpicky, but 2 say the list is accurate, and 1 says the ads and lineup cards show effective date is 1-1-11. I would prefer to see somebody actually say they see FoxMo in HD, instead of just commenting on a list of 20 or so HD channels. I didn't see anybody saw they were watching the new channels, just which channels they were looking forward to like BBC America. You would figure the guy that wanted BBCA so he could dump Direct would comment that he was actually watching it on Insight Cable.

I do like the idea though that somebody is getting FoxMo, as that is one channel that has been needed for sometime. Granted FoxMo didn't help by not even offering a HD version for several years now.

Well, if FoxMo is in HD their web page doesn't say anything about it. And the NCTA page, which shows all the cable channel levels of service doesn't show it as having HD. And yeah, the pages may not be updated but...
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#18 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 09:46 AM

I understand that Dish has no control over any individual channel being broadcast in HD but for 2011 I am putting my faith in Charlie taking the position "if it's available in HD Dish is going to carry it" 100%, period.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,334 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:46 AM

It seems like we're spending too much time focused on whether or not one channel is in HD on some other system than the desire to have it in HD on DISH.

While not having the channel in HD anywhere makes it a harder get (it is harder to carry a channel in HD that is not distributed in HD) the channel can still be desired.

Most of the ~30 channels I noted DISH carries in SD but not HD are not carried in HD anywhere. Most hit the list because the channel providers announced plans to be in HD in 2010. Many didn't make it. There are also channels that have a known HD feed no major carrier carries or has a HD feed used by OTA stations/affiliates. Desiring a channel in HD doesn't change just because one cable company in one town becomes the first to carry it.

For example, the suite of Encore channels is anticipated. It doesn't matter if anyone else carries them or not ... they are still channels that people would like to see in HD.

I understand that Dish has no control over any individual channel being broadcast in HD but for 2011 I am putting my faith in Charlie taking the position "if it's available in HD Dish is going to carry it" 100%, period.

There is a problem with satellite space that prevents DISH from carrying every available HD feed. There is also a problem with providers who charge more for their HD feed than SD only carriage. Charlie would like to keep our bills lower. More HD and low bills are conflicting goals.

#20 OFFLINE   Deke Rivers

Deke Rivers

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

id like to see:
IFC HD..evene though the channel itself is starting to go down hill
Epix 3 ..right now its in SD ..and very bad SD I might add
my local PBS (channel 11 in Chicago)

personally my wishlist is to see every movie channel I get go HD..liek i said its a wish..might be reaching a bit though :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...