Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2011 DISH HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:47 PM

Right now I'm waiting to see what happens to our bills in February. After perusing the discussion over on the DirecTV threads, I'm hoping Charlie has been successful in his efforts to contain Dish's costs and thereby keeping our bills reasonable.

There are things I'd like to see in HD, but I'd be happier with a more modest rate increase.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

We normally hear the detailed rumor of a February increase by now. Perhaps DISH will wait until June. It has annoyed me for the past few years when DISH's increase was leaked/announced right before Christmas and DirecTV's was announced right after Christmas and it seemed that DISH took the most heat for raising their prices even though both satellite companies and cable raised their prices. There is a penalty for going first.

I entered 2009 curious about what would be added in HD that year and saw DISH add 20 HD channels (one of those PPV, four of those in Platinum HD). I entered 2010 not really expecting or desiring new HD and saw DISH add 27 channels (+PPV). I'm not sure what DISH will be able to do in 2011 with the capacity they have left ... Looking at capacity I'm not expecting 20-30 national channels.

I expect more of an emphasis on locals ... filling out HD locals markets (including local CW HD and local PBS HD carriage). That is where DISH has the room (capacity) to improve (or will by midyear when Quezsat-1 is launched to 77 for locals).

But I'm willing to be surprised ... expect nothing, accept more, be happy.

#23 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

With the last rate increase I cut back on programming to save money - and I was still employed then. Now that I've been unemployed for several months - no rate increase will be tolerable - we'll probably look at cutting back some more if rates go up.

Edited by l8er, 27 December 2010 - 05:37 PM.

-GA

#24 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

James, any idea what & when new sats are planned after the new one at 77 mid year? After filling in the CWHDs and PBSHDs I'd guess Charlie would work on 24/7 HD RSNs. If he could improve that situation it would cut into Dtv's boasting powers. Also I may be hallucinating but I thought I read that MLB network on DISH would be at least a number of years away for some reason, possibly tied to MLB Extra Innings??? Thanks James.

#25 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:41 AM

Know anything? Nope.

I WISH that BBC America HD was moved down to Top 120 though. :)

#26 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I'd like to see

Africa Channel HD
GSN HD
FOX Movie Channel HD
TV ONE HD
HUB HD

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

James, any idea what & when new sats are planned after the new one at 77 mid year? After filling in the CWHDs and PBSHDs I'd guess Charlie would work on 24/7 HD RSNs. If he could improve that situation it would cut into Dtv's boasting powers. Also I may be hallucinating but I thought I read that MLB network on DISH would be at least a number of years away for some reason, possibly tied to MLB Extra Innings??? Thanks James.

I believe the next replacement (after 77) is going to 61.5 to replace Rainbow 1/Echostar 12 and provide more local markets. I don't see any new ConUS bandwidth opening up (especially on Western Arc) which is what is needed for 24/7 RSN and more national HD.

#28 OFFLINE   rocatman

rocatman

Icon

• Registered
  • 815 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:31 PM

To clarify, QuetzSat-1 is schedued to launch sometime between August and November 2011. Its use in the U.S. should be almost exclusively spotbeams for locals because of its proximity to the 82 W Canadian DBS slot. The next satellite launch for Dish is the E-16 satelllite in 2012 going to 61.5 W and it is expected to also to be primarily a spotbeam satellite for locals. For the Eastern Arc, Dish's CONUS expansion will be at 72.7 W as it gains use of more of the TPs there as DirecTV moves locals off that slot. I believe Dish should be gaining use of 8 or 9 more TPs there in the next year or so. Dish has also filed applications with the FCC to move both E-4 and E-8 (after QuetzSat-1 is launched) to the 86.5 W slot. Although both these satelllites would be using CONUS TPs at 86.5 W, their beams would be directed away from the Canadian border because of possible interference with the 82 W aand 91 W Canadian DBS slots. This means that they could only be used for locals. For the Western Arc, there is nothing on the books for launches there in the next couple years although DBS Expansion Band satellites could be under development for Eastern and Western slots. Dish Western Arc expansion is tied to the conversion to 8PSK and probably MPEG-4. This will gain Dish a large amount of bandwidth both CONUS and spotbeam but will require the swapout of a large number of older receivers.

#29 OFFLINE   prm1177

prm1177

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

I'd have to say that PBS locals in HD would fill my holiday stocking nicely.

#30 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

WE have too many HD channels now.

What we need is fewer channels with higher quality of programming, not pseudo HD crap advertized as HD or even the real HD crap advertized as worthwhile programming.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#31 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

To clarify, QuetzSat-1 is schedued to launch sometime between August and November 2011. Its use in the U.S. should be almost exclusively spotbeams for locals because of its proximity to the 82 W Canadian DBS slot.

Dish has also filed applications with the FCC to move both E-4 and E-8 (after QuetzSat-1 is launched) to the 86.5 W slot. Although both these satelllites would be using CONUS TPs at 86.5 W, their beams would be directed away from the Canadian border because of possible interference with the 82 W aand 91 W Canadian DBS slots.

If DISH can today operate at 77w with conus beams and not interfere over the U.S. with either itself or DirecTV at 72.5/72.7, or Canada at 82, then why would it be a problem for them to operate conus beams at 86.5? I had gotten the impression that the "old" requirement of 9 degrees Ku separation had been dismissed as overkill and 4.5 was becoming accepted. Not so?

Edited by tkrandall, 30 December 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:19 PM

If DISH can today operate at 77w with conus beams and not interfere over the U.S. with either itself or DirecTV at 72.5/72.7, or Canada at 82, then why would it be a problem for them to operate conus beams at 86.5?

The US seems to have accepted 4.5 separation but Canada has not. The current use of 77 is southern US only (not ConUS) or Mexico only, avoiding Canada (basic coverage seen here). DirecTV is leaving 72.7 leaving DISH to only interfere with itself between 77 and 72.7. If DISH keeps the spotbeams to the southern US 77 shouldn't bother the Canadians at all.

I had gotten the impression that the "old" requirement of 9 degrees Ku separation had been dismissed as overkill and 4.5 was becoming accepted. Not so?

Not fully accepted ... the problem is with multiple location dishes not designed for 4.5 degree separation. DirecTV's use of 72.5 is fine as they use a single satellite location dish. It can look at a couple of degree circle and not see 77. On Western Arc trying to span two or three satellites on an existing dish without seeing new satellites placed between the desired satellites is harder. Current aiming of a multi-location dish requires compromises to be made to get all locations (without adjustable position LNBs). While new dishes could be designed to pick up or reject the "tweeners" the plan would have to be worked to avoid interference on the old dishes that will remain in use for many years.

#33 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:08 AM

Is there something unique about the 1000.4 dish that allows for mitigating any potential 72.7/77 Ku same-transponder interference versus other Ku dishes?

I know it has more precise aiming requirements, sort of like does a DirecTV slimline, but then of course the slimlines are working to peak the more alignment-sensitive Ka band with sats less than 4 degrees apart.

#34 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

(basic coverage seen here).

James,

Red line - does that indicate primary coverage zone with standard size dish? and what significance is the yellow shaded area? Thanks

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:11 AM

Is there something unique about the 1000.4 dish that allows for mitigating any potential 72.7/77 Ku same-transponder interference versus other Ku dishes?

The LNB locations are designed with the shorter spacing in mind. DISH isn't trying to skip a tweener on that dish ... they have placed the third LNB in a place where it can pick up a closer spaced orbital location.

Red line - does that indicate primary coverage zone with standard size dish? and what significance is the yellow shaded area? Thanks

It is roughly that way. The yellow area is 10dB lower than the blue ... the red line is 2dB higher than the red. Actual reception would vary depending on local conditions. That coverage would only exist if the earth were a perfect sphere with no trees or difference in ground level (no hills/valleys/etc.).

It is intended as a rough reference ... not an accurate "you will get it/you won't get it" map.

#36 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

This has turned into a very technical discussion that has no relation to the original post. James, you should know better.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,107 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

This has turned into a very technical discussion that has no relation to the original post. James, you should know better.

A little drift? Better in a thread than the satellites drifting. It is all part of the big picture ... people want more HD, but where's the room? It is not there on the current satellites.

#38 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

This is meant to be an HD "anticipation" thread. Without at least a cursory understanding of whether or not there is any bandwidth to carry any new HD... there isn't much reason to anticipate.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#39 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 07:18 PM

This is meant to be an HD "anticipation" thread. Without at least a cursory understanding of whether or not there is any bandwidth to carry any new HD... there isn't much reason to anticipate.

I hope for full time RSN's, IFC, and FoxMo. I am pretty content right now, but those would really put me over the top.

#40 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

I hope for full time RSN's, IFC, and FoxMo. I am pretty content right now, but those would really put me over the top.

With no anticipation, or expectations, I would really like to see in no particular order: RSN's, ESPNU, IFC. If I had to choose one it would be the RSN's - man, am I overly tired of searching all over the place to find my local games :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...