Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I connect my HR24-500 to my wireless internet?

primecast

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:11 AM

I just got a very nice Christmas present... a D* install that included the slimline dish, SWM install, 1 HR24-500, 1 H24-700 and 4 D12-100s.

One thing I'd like to do is get my install connected to my wireless internet in my house. Are there any docs on what I need to order and how to install it? It would be a very difficult run to try and get an ethernet cable from my router to the HR24-500 so that's why I'm really hoping I can do this via a wireless solution.

Any tips, thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

A question...

1. Are you using MRV between your HR24 and H24 receivers?

If so, you will need a Broadband DECA and PI in order to connect your receivers to your home network/Internet. If you are using MRV and hook up an ethernet cable to the receivers, it will disable their internal DECA and MRV will not work.

If not, you can use a wireless ethernet adapter to connect your receivers to your home network/Internet. The Linksys WGA600N and WET610N are both natively supported by the DirecTV receivers. You can use other ones, but you will need to set them via a laptop/PC before hooking them up to the receiver.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:19 PM

Yes, I am using MRV between the two HD receivers... so will a Broadband DECA and PI allow me to still use my wireless network? Where do I purchase this equipment?

Sorry for the basic questions but this is all new tome and have a lot to learn!

#4 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Yes, I am using MRV between the two HD receivers... so will a Broadband DECA and PI allow me to still use my wireless network? Where do I purchase this equipment?

Sorry for the basic questions but this is all new tome and have a lot to learn!

are any of those d12 boxes near your router? if so it could be tied into that coax.

#5 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

The D12s are not close to my router. The H24-700 is the receiver nearest the router...

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:25 PM

You could split a line with a green labeled splitter asnd run a coax from it to the router. That is what I did and it works fine.
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

The D12s are not close to my router. The H24-700 is the receiver nearest the router...

If the H24 is in the same room as the router, the best solution is use a wired connection from the router. Check out post #5 in this link for a diagram. Just unhook the coax sat input on the H24, connect it to the input on a 2-way (green label) splitter, then connect one output to the H24 and the other output to the DECA module (which will need to be hardwired to the router). Then add a power inserter to the DECA module.

:)

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:00 PM

And if you can't hardwire to your router, just grab a wireless ethernet adapter to connect to the DECA. You'll just need to configure it first from a PC/laptop with your wireless info before connecting it to the DECA. If you go for a wireless ethernet adapter, I would go for one that is Wireless-N if you have a Wireless-N router. Two common ones that people use are the Linksys WET610N and the WGA600N.

- Merg

#9 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

And if you can't hardwire to your router, just grab a wireless ethernet adapter to connect to the DECA. You'll just need to configure it first from a PC/laptop with your wireless info before connecting it to the DECA. If you go for a wireless ethernet adapter, I would go for one that is Wireless-N if you have a Wireless-N router. Two common ones that people use are the Linksys WET610N and the WGA600N.

- Merg

One small correction. The WET610N connects to the router to be configured unlike, say the older WGA54G that connected to the PC to configure.

I have the WET610N and used to have it connected to my HR20 (until I went supported MRV and now it is connected to my 360). Works beautifully but is a pain in the butt to configure because of having to connect it to the router.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#10 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:18 PM

how about if the room that has the router also has an H21-200 in it with only one coax feeding the room? How would I wire that with the DECA power inserter with DECA hooked to router and also feed the H21-200? I guess I would also need a DECA behind the H21-200 as well?

Edited by Kev4Bama, 25 December 2010 - 11:26 PM.

HR23-700 ,H21-200, H24-700, Genie H44-700 AU9-SL3 Dish
SWM-16 , DECA network hooked to internet, WHDVR/MRV

Tailgate Setup: AU9-SL3 on 3' Tripod, H21-200
runs on Legacy port of SWM-16 when not at the game.

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,057 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:54 AM

One small correction. The WET610N connects to the router to be configured unlike, say the older WGA54G that connected to the PC to configure.

I have the WET610N and used to have it connected to my HR20 (until I went supported MRV and now it is connected to my 360). Works beautifully but is a pain in the butt to configure because of having to connect it to the router.

If your router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), all you need to do is press a button on the adapter and another on the router. I set up my WET610N in less than a minute that way.

#12 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

how about if the room that has the router also has an H21-200 in it with only one coax feeding the room? How would I wire that with the DECA power inserter with DECA hooked to router and also feed the H21-200? I guess I would also need a DECA behind the H21-200 as well?

If you have SWM, the following will work:

You would need 2 DECA modules, since the cat5 connection of first DECA would output to the H21, and the cat5 connection of the second DECA would have the hardwired router connection as input. You would just 2-way split (green label) the 1 coax feeding the room. Use one of the splitter coax outputs for the DECA connected to the router, and the other splitter coax output for the DECA feeding the H21. The coax output next to the cat5 connection on the router DECA would be connected to the power inserter.

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:36 AM

You can configure either of these adapters from a PC. In this case, since the adapter is not being plugged directly into a receiver, it needs to be configured ahead of time.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 26 December 2010 - 12:09 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:41 AM

- Merg

Thanks Merg... so with my existing installed equipment I will only need to purchase a WET610N, configure it and then connect it to my existing DECA?

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

- Merg

My 600N is sitting on a shelf. Useless POS. Anybody wanna buy it?

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

If you have SWM, the following will work:

You would need 2 DECA modules, since the cat5 connection of first DECA would output to the H21, and the cat5 connection of the second DECA would have the hardwired router connection as input. You would just 2-way split (green label) the 1 coax feeding the room. Use one of the splitter coax outputs for the DECA connected to the router, and the other splitter coax output for the DECA feeding the H21. The coax output next to the cat5 connection on the router DECA would be connected to the power inserter.

So in this setup if I wanted to be able to use VOD, Directv2Pc ect than I would hookup a Deca Broadband Connector kit to my router instead of a regular DECA and then a regular DECA behind my H21-200? I guess what is confusing me is alot of people are hooking up a regular DECA to their router as opposed the the Broadband DECA adapter, why would you need to hook anything to the router if you dont need to connect for VOD ect?

HR23-700 ,H21-200, H24-700, Genie H44-700 AU9-SL3 Dish
SWM-16 , DECA network hooked to internet, WHDVR/MRV

Tailgate Setup: AU9-SL3 on 3' Tripod, H21-200
runs on Legacy port of SWM-16 when not at the game.

#17 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

So in this setup if I wanted to be able to use VOD, Directv2Pc ect than I would hookup a Deca Broadband Connector kit to my router instead of a regular DECA and then a regular DECA behind my H21-200? I guess what is confusing me is alot of people are hooking up a regular DECA to their router as opposed the the Broadband DECA adapter, why would you need to hook anything to the router if you dont need to connect for VOD ect?

The regular DECA and Broadband DECA are functionally equivalent. They are just a different form factor. Also, when Whole Home first came out, the Broadband DECA's weren't yet available, so many people used regular DECAs out of necessity.
DogLover

My Setup

#18 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Merg... so with my existing installed equipment I will only need to purchase a WET610N, configure it and then connect it to my existing DECA?

By existing DECA, you are referring to the Broadband DECA with a PI, correct? You would not connect this to a DECA that is currently connected to a receiver. If that's the case, then yes, that's all you need to do.

- Merg

#19 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

Well now I'm confused... I just checked behind my HR24-500 and only see a Power Inserter and no DECA. Is that possible since my Whole Home DVR is working by allowing me to watch content recorded by the HR24-500 on my H24-700 in the MBR.

#20 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Well now I'm confused... I just checked behind my HR24-500 and only see a Power Inserter and no DECA. Is that possible since my Whole Home DVR is working by allowing me to watch content recorded by the HR24-500 on my H24-700 in the MBR.

Yes. The H24 and HR24 have DECA built-in so you should only have the coax going into them and no ethernet cable. The PI you see is most likely for the SWM itself.

In your case, you only need a Broadband DECA and PI to get connected to the Internet.

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...