Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Vikings-Eagles game postponed

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Has NBC announced next week's game yet?

From NFL & Peter King's twitter feed, next Sunday's game is St. Louis at Seattle. Winner takes NFC West title.

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

Correct. Bears @ Packers has been moved from noon to 3:15, while the Seattle-St. Louis game is the night game.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#63 OFFLINE   Rosco

Rosco

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:40 PM

Yes, it will be a real nail biter, will it be a .500 team or a sub .500 team representing the NFC west : ). There were a total of 5 games moved to the 4:15 time slot. Colts, Texans, Redskins, Packers, and Eagles games were selected to be moved.

#64 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

Just to prove the silliness of the current system (which I've ranted about before)... I'm rooting for Seattle, so that a 7-9 division winner will make the playoffs, while possibly as many as two 10-6 teams in other divisions will be left sitting at home.

It's possible for the Saints, Giants, Buccaneers, and Packers to all be 10-6 and only 2 of them will get in.

However you might feel about any of those teams... it's hard to argue that an 8-8 or 7-9 team deserves to be in the playoffs AND host a first-round game while 10-6 teams are sitting at home.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#65 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:56 AM

Just to prove the silliness of the current system (which I've ranted about before)... I'm rooting for Seattle, so that a 7-9 division winner will make the playoffs, while possibly as many as two 10-6 teams in other divisions will be left sitting at home.

It's possible for the Saints, Giants, Buccaneers, and Packers to all be 10-6 and only 2 of them will get in.

However you might feel about any of those teams... it's hard to argue that an 8-8 or 7-9 team deserves to be in the playoffs AND host a first-round game while 10-6 teams are sitting at home.

Don't disagree with you at all, and I was almost relieved that my gasping Niners will not be in the playoffs; it'd be embarrassing. Just read that Singletary is gone as of sometime this evening.

But I am wondering if the league system, the pathetic NFL West in point, is not done to maximize revenues.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#66 OFFLINE   rayik

rayik

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

I live in the area. The problem was the storm was going to (and did) dump snow during the game time. People who parked their cars and went to the game would have returned to the lot with 4"-5" snow. There is no way the snow could be removed from the lots when they are full of cars. It would have been a mess trying to leave.

It's not about wusses. From the fans' persepective, it's the practicality of getting too and from a stadium when quantities of snow are accumulating.

#67 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:27 PM

Don't disagree with you at all, and I was almost relieved that my gasping Niners will not be in the playoffs; it'd be embarrassing. Just read that Singletary is gone as of sometime this evening.

But I am wondering if the league system, the pathetic NFL West in point, is not done to maximize revenues.....

I was sorry to hear about Singletary. I still think he will be a good coach (maybe he already was)... the 49ers have been broken for a while now. I was a big fan back in the Montana/Young years... but at some point they broke the mold and no one coach is going to be able to fix that in a couple of years.

Meanwhile... I am sure in part the division thing is to appease fans, and thus make money, by assuring one team in each division gets in.

My problem is really with having four 4-team divisions in each side of the league.

Back when there were 30 teams, they had 3 divisions of 5 each... and that had some problems BUT at least the division winners had decent records.

It's far too easy now in a 4-team division to have a division that just isn't any good, but one team has to go in the playoffs.

I won't cry for the 10-6 team that gets left out... because all teams do have a chance if they are good enough to win their way in during the season... but having a team like either Seattle or St Louis in the playoffs hosting a game this year really is weird. It isn't a reward for a good season.

I don't know what exactly to do to fix it though.

Meanwhile we get Monday and Tuesday night football this week...

#68 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:29 PM

I live in the area. The problem was the storm was going to (and did) dump snow during the game time. People who parked their cars and went to the game would have returned to the lot with 4"-5" snow. There is no way the snow could be removed from the lots when they are full of cars. It would have been a mess trying to leave.

It's not about wusses. It's the practicality of getting too and from a stadium when quantities of snow are accumulating.

That's pretty much what I said yesterday. They could have had 50,000+ people in the stadium after the game that could not leave when the game was over... and it might have taken many hours after the game to even get started having people able to leave.

IF the snow hit before the game, it would have been different... or if it had really hit hard after the game... but during the game meant they couldn't do much about it at the worst possible time to have that many people in one place.

#69 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

I was sorry to hear about Singletary. I still think he will be a good coach (maybe he already was)...

All the sports talk show hosts here in Chicago thought otherwise. They regarded him as a bad coach and a weirdo to boot. Great linebacker when he was with the Bears, yes, but a bad coach.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#70 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

All the sports talk show hosts here in Chicago thought otherwise. They regarded him as a bad coach and a weirdo to boot. Great linebacker when he was with the Bears, yes, but a bad coach.

He always seemed a little "off" in interviews & such. Kind of like a crazy uncle. :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#71 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,941 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

He always seemed a little "off" in interviews & such. Kind of like a crazy uncle. :lol:

Hah! Pretty good analogy. Run, run, pass, punt. Great formula.....

And now we know the G. Empire is in N. Illinois.... (where I was born).
Howdy, L. Vader!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#72 OFFLINE   zman977

zman977

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

I'm sorry, you buy a ticket to go to a football game in Philadelphia in December you better be prepared for whatever the weather dishes out.

I don't think this is the first time in the NFL's history, teams have played in this type of forecasted condition.

Just because something has been done in the past does not mean it should be done in the future. Maybe you've never tried to drive home in a blizzard but I can tell you it is quite dangerous. Again, snow is one thing. a blizzard is another. Maybe the league has learned that endangering the lives of fans is not worth it for a game.

#73 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

Just because something has been done in the past does not mean it should be done in the future. Maybe you've never tried to drive home in a blizzard but I can tell you it is quite dangerous. Again, snow is one thing. a blizzard is another. Maybe the league has learned that endangering the lives of fans is not worth it for a game.

It's the NFL's football and if they don't want to play on Sunday then i guess that is there choice but by the same token, I don't have to like it or agree with it.

As already been suggested, maybe the NFL should think about moving the start of the season up a month and this way they can wind it up by the 1st or 2nd week of December and not have to worry about roofs collapsing, weather travel delays, & blizzards.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#74 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

I'm glad they moved it. I have friends coming over tonight and now we have a game to watch. Thank you, Roger Goodell. :D

#75 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

I'm glad they moved it. I have friends coming over tonight and now we have a game to watch. Thank you, Roger Goodell. :D

While Roger Goodell is busy working on a new contract, he can toss something in that would allow for at least one primetime game every night of the week.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#76 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:20 AM

Regardless of the outcome of tonights game, I am just hoping the Eagles win next Sunday otherwise we will probably see another thread about how the Eagles were screwed because of little rest they had between games..

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#77 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:22 PM

Extreme weather? They could have and should have played the game.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#78 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:37 AM

You shouldn't have to choose between being safe, seeing a football game or sacrificing $100/ticket for not showing up in a blizzard.

Think about the first team bus that slides off a road or, heaven forbid, if the Dome in Minneapolis had collapsed while a game were going on..

#79 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,142 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

You shouldn't have to choose between being safe, seeing a football game or sacrificing $100/ticket for not showing up in a blizzard.

Think about the first team bus that slides off a road or, heaven forbid, if the Dome in Minneapolis had collapsed while a game were going on..

If the Saints-Falcons game weren't scheduled for Monday evening, I suspect the wussies from the NFL would have postponed that game with all that snow we got here in Atlanta :rolleyes:

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#80 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:16 PM

I really can't believe this is such a polarizing issue. It was decided for SAFETY issues of the FANS the game be postponed. It was not postponed because of fear for a little bit of snow, the temperature fell to under 30 degrees, or there was fog in the area! I am really sorry some of you had to find something else to watch/do Sunday night because the game wasn't on but seeing as how you are all still posting, it appears everyone survived it.

spam firewall