Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Discounts

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Does DTV give out any discounts when you become unemployed??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

There have been some posts throughout dbstalk about Directv working with folks when they have a hardship. A phone call or two to a sympathetic csr usually works.

If you are in this situation best wishes to a successful outcome with Directv and good luck with your becoming employed again soon.

#3 OFFLINE   Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

Does your Super Market? Or your Gas Station?

@richierich,
Slow down buddy, respect.

@OP,
I heard few times that they try to accommodate when people go through hard times of unemployment. But if they did not you can freeze your account for I think up to 6 month.

Good luck with finding a new job quickly.
Alex
DirecTV since 2002
HR34-100
HR22-104
HR23-100
Deca BB
Samsung SmarTV

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm just saying in these economics times nobody cares about hardship as I learned when I lost my job for 3 years.

Directv may Suspend your Service without Penalty but there ain't no Free Lunch from anyone nowadays that I know about.

Don't mean anything disrespectful but just being Honest about these Economic Times we are in. If that were not the case then people would not be losing their Homes because they have lost their Jobs.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

Sorry to here about your job situation. You should call to see what they can do. If you don't have a lot of current discounts, they might help you out. Or you could see if they can drop you down to one of the low priced packages they really don't advertise. Good luck!
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   sko58

sko58

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 06:28 PM

@richierich,

Whether you like it or not, your original comment was disrespectful and not in good taste. You should be ashamed of it. Period.

Most - if not all - unemployed people aren't looking for a "free lunch" as you put it. They're looking for HELP. Considering your negative attitude, it's not surprising that you didn't find any help when you were unemployed. At least the OP was willing to ASK for assistance.

@KsBillsFan-

I feel your pain. I've been unemployed for just over 2 years now (lost my job due to downsizing). It hasn't been easy going from a salary of just under 6 figures to living off my wife's salary as a teacher. As you may or may not know, teachers don't make any money (comparatively speaking). Keep your head up and stay positive!

That said, you should know that when I called DirecTV for help, they were more than willing to work with me - unlike "richierich" would have you believe. I have been with them for a long time (since the early 90's) and have always paid our bill on time. I'm not exactly sure of the correct name of our plan, but I believe we subscribe to Total Choice Plus with HD DVR (or whatever it's called). In the past, we also subscribed to NFL Sunday Ticket.

After explaining my unemployment situation, they were very understanding and looked for any possible way to help reduce our costs. In the end, because we wanted to keep our current plan (since it has certain channels our young son enjoys), they offered to credit our account each month equal to the amount of our HD Access fee. They originally said the credit would be good for a year but they're still giving it to us today.

In addition, without me even asking, they offered to reduce the cost of our NFL Sunday Ticket subscription - by just over 50% of the total cost - if we wanted to keep it. I took them up on the offer.

So - quickly ignore "richierich" and his poor attitude and pick up the phone. Explain your situation to them and ask about any possible ways to help reduce your costs. I would suggest you start by asking for ways to reduce your costs WITHOUT changing your current subscription. Then, if they just can't help you, ask to speak with the "Retention" department. Once again, explain your situation and let them know that you don't want to cancel but will have to if you can't work out a way to reduce your costs. Of course, you need to be open to changing your subscription, too. I'm only suggesting that you try to find other ways to reduce your costs first.

When these situations happen, it can be nice to know that you can still escape from the real world every once in a while by watching TV. Just don't watch the news... :)

I wish you the best of luck - not just with DirecTV, but with your job search, too. Stay positive!

#7 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:48 PM

I'll ignore the rude guy.

Only asking as the local cable provider did discount our internet service 50% for 6 months. Thought I'd ask on here before calling DTV, as you all have been a big help in the past.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

If you have HD service and can sign up for autopay, you can get $10 off a month. Not much, but every little bit helps.

Be sure you're on the lowest package that has what you really want. Get 10 referrals for people signing up for service? That's $10 each for 10 months.

DirecTV might do something, especially if you're not in contract and talk to Retention. Worst case, you can suspend your account for 6 months. That way you keep all the equipment and can get reconnected easily. If you're under contract, that basically holds until you restart service.

#9 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

No, but you can get the bargain package, one reciever, just scale down on everything else, you going to be allright. I went through the same thing for three years.
Marquitos

#10 OFFLINE   shoelessjoe

shoelessjoe

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

Does DTV give out any discounts when you become unemployed??

All you can do is just call and ask. It depends who you get sometimes too. When things got tight awhile back for me, I called them to see what I can do to save money. They didn't give any discounts at that time, but they did work with me to cut off $12/month and gave me a $5 credit for 3 months. Every little bit helps. It can't hurt to ask.:)

Overall, I had great customer relations with DTV and they have been more than helpful.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

#11 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:10 PM

... Every little bit helps. It can't hurt to ask.:)

Excellent advice. I always ask for any discounts when calling them. Sometimes I get, sometimes not. I never expect discounts, but politely ask. :)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:22 PM

I sent a PM to the OP apologizing for my Comments which were unintended as taken as I have been Unemployed for 3 Years and fully understand what it is like.

I would Call Directv and explain your situation with them and I would bet that they would accomodate you as best they can so you don't have to lose everything with Directv but can reduce your bill or be placed into a Suspended Mode until you find employment again.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:47 PM

I'll ignore the rude guy.

Only asking as the local cable provider did discount our internet service 50% for 6 months. Thought I'd ask on here before calling DTV, as you all have been a big help in the past.

Hadn't heard back from you and hoping DIRECTV took care of you. Any luck with calling them to help you out?
HR34-700, HR22-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...