Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q1 2011 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4069 replies to this topic

#2121 OFFLINE   oldfantom

oldfantom

Icon

• Registered
  • 661 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:11 AM

So, Are you saying that the fact that it was a 3D set it negatively affected the 2D picture quality to the point that you felt it necessary to return the set? :confused:

My non 3D set was about a $1000 less. There is other technology in that set, I will grant you, besides the 3D. But it just was not worth it to me to watch gimmick movies. My understanding of live 3D events is that the technology is rather immature and not of the same quality you see in the movies. Long and short of it is this, I saw Jaws 3D (the revenge) in theaters, that is enough 3D for a lifetime.

If my post sounds angry, please re-read it with a smile.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2122 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

Over the past few years it appears that DirecTV's main concern is over their being the only provider of Sunday Ticket.

I haven't seen anything in writing, but I wonder if the high cost to DirecTV, from the NFL, for ST is the reason for the slow down of new national HD. Could their cost for ST be more than their income from it, causing them to pay for it from other areas?

Just my thoughts, because there has to be some reason for the big slow down of national HD, when DISH and the cable companies are still adding them.

Seriously doubt this. Again, we can go into this but not every channel is on every provider. Fios has some channels DirecTV does not while DirecTV has channels Fios does not. Same with Dish. Comcast is a hot mess. A lot in some places, little in others.

DirecTV's accent is on sports, yes, more so than the other providers but I am sure that the NFL deal stands on its own merit either in terms of making its own money or in terms of bringing in customers to get other services.

BTW, their approach is working. They are still gaining customers both grossly and net while others are not (Dish is reeling in terms of net losses, for example). That their approach is working rather than a bogey man NFL deal as the reason.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#2123 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

It's only going to get better I would guess. Passive glasses soon then no glasses. It's a novelty and fun to watch for a little while but I couldn't watch it for a whole evening, I'd rather watch really good HD.

#2124 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

I don't know if its badly tuned sets, but I have watched 3D on some demo sets at Costco and the picture has the 3D effect in the foreground, but the background looked so flat it was disturbing. I have seen much better pictures on good HD sets.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#2125 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 28 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

3D thread: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=174894

This is the (non-3D) HD anticipation thread.

:backtotop

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#2126 OFFLINE   Woochifer

Woochifer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:48 PM

I don't know if its badly tuned sets, but I have watched 3D on some demo sets at Costco and the picture has the 3D effect in the foreground, but the background looked so flat it was disturbing. I have seen much better pictures on good HD sets.

I have a feeling that the active 3D shutter glasses are not charged in most of those demo units. Costco is a horrible enough environment to demo TVs as it is (bright flood lights, most of the TVs mounted or displayed at heights that cause noticeable color shifting with LCD sets, most of the TVs set to overly bright and sharp factor defaults, etc.).

The 3D demos require more attention to detail (i.e., keep the glasses charged, keep them clean, setup the demo at the correct distances, and make sure that the viewing is at a straight on angle. They frankly don't care if the TVs are correctly setup. Those 3D displays probably worked right the first day, and then they just ignored it afterwards. At least, the Best Buy stores in my area keep the glasses charged and take reasonable care of their 3D demo units.

#2127 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

Anybody smell any new HD coming
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#2128 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

My non 3D set was about a $1000 less. There is other technology in that set, I will grant you, besides the 3D. But it just was not worth it to me to watch gimmick movies. My understanding of live 3D events is that the technology is rather immature and not of the same quality you see in the movies. Long and short of it is this, I saw Jaws 3D (the revenge) in theaters, that is enough 3D for a lifetime.

I saw Jaws 3D (the revenge) in theaters, that is enough 3D for a lifetime. +1
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#2129 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

So, Are you saying that the fact that it was a 3D set it negatively affected the 2D picture quality to the point that you felt it necessary to return the set? :confused:

No, the 3D capability had nothing to do with that decision. The only 3D ready set I could afford was a rear projection DLP. For about $400 more, I got a 120hz 60" LCD that had a LOT better picture (the DLP lost focus on a crosshatch pattern about 10" from the edge, and got progressively worse as you went to the edge. There were no convergence controls on it.
I was just very unhappy with it, so I returned it. Did not have anything to do with the 3D tho. To get the set I ended up buying in a 3D version, however, would have set me back almost 100% more.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2130 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

No, the 3D capability had nothing to do with that decision. The only 3D ready set I could afford was a rear projection DLP. For about $400 more, I got a 120hz 60" LCD that had a LOT better picture (the DLP lost focus on a crosshatch pattern about 10" from the edge, and got progressively worse as you went to the edge. There were no convergence controls on it.
I was just very unhappy with it, so I returned it. Did not have anything to do with the 3D tho. To get the set I ended up buying in a 3D version, however, would have set me back almost 100% more.

Unfortunately, the DLPs are very individual per unit. If you'd got a replacement it might have been much better. . . or maybe not. One of those things where you take your chances if you are willing to undergo the possibility of significant frustration and effort in dealing with retailers and vendors in exchange for a significantly lower price.

I wrote the FAQ on AVS for the 2009 Mits DLP lineup. :)

#2131 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

I saw Jaws 3D (the revenge) in theaters, that is enough 3D for a lifetime. +1

LMFAO!!!!! That was actually on a few weeks back and I watched it. Cheezy goodness!!!! :lol: Lea Thompson was hot though. :hurah:
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

#2132 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

I wrote the FAQ on AVS for the 2009 Mits DLP lineup. :)

I could see where there could be a possibility of a great picture if you happened to get one with everything aligned correctly out of the box, but I was dealing with Amazon. We have no local dealers. I didnt think Amazon would appreciate free shipping me 60" sets until I found one that was perfect, and I couldnt afford to hire someone to come take a new set apart and align mirrors, or however they do that now. I just remembered my last rear projector, and how I was always having to reconverge it as it aged, and thought that would have been corrected by now. Maybe I just got unlucky. After returning that one, I bought a 60" Sharp Aquos on sale at Best Buy, and *THAT* one was DOA when I plugged it in. I spent a whole weekend unpacking and packing 60" TV's :) Third time was a charm. Perfect picture, no stuck or dead pixels, sharp from edge to edge. The 3D would have been nice, but I would have had to step up to a Quattron or Sony, at 3K+.

I really like HD, and am perfectly content. If DirecTv adds the top 10 on the recent poll, I can cancel Xfinity, and be a happy camper.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2133 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

Soon.

#2134 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

So, it's now Tuesday. What happened to Sixto?

Did he:

1) Fall in love?
2) Get a new job?
3) Go on a bender?
4) Suddenly realize 1,461 was a really big number?

I could hope for #1, but he might already be married, and then the explanations could be awkward. . .

#2135 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

I know I'm gonna get mocked for this. . but personally I've been groovin' on the HD VoD for HBO and Cinemax that just became available.

#2136 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 908 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:58 AM

I'm sensing truTV HD. Plus a few more. At some point during the year 2011.

#2137 OFFLINE   bluegras

bluegras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

well directv has seen that list of the survey here on dbstalk and i think they will add the top 10 from that list.

#2138 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,586 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

I know I'm gonna get mocked for this. . but personally I've been groovin' on the HD VoD for HBO and Cinemax that just became available.

Don't feel bad, I've downloaded several movies from both in the last week as well. Apparently the PQ is better anyway.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#2139 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

So, it's now Tuesday. What happened to Sixto? ...

All is well. The numbers are final ... I was thinking that I might want to analyze the data some more, but seems like the totals speak for themselves ...
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#2140 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 916 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 March 2011 - 07:14 AM

well directv has seen that list of the survey here on dbstalk and i think they will add the top 10 from that list.

is it like the surveys they come to in my house for?...

it'll be looked at and said "oh yeah look at that.."
then it'll be on an endtable somewhere....forgotten...but noted!

will it matter at all?

really guys I can get a cab in the middle of Times Square on a Friday or Saturday night quicker, than some movement for new HD additions..Soon..........in the Directv world means a promisory polite not today....

However, DirecTV has my money gladly...and willingly and that is ONLY because of the ABUNDANCE of Sports in HD, on the PPV packages respectively..and on the RSN's. I will never criticize them for that, they have me and my money...

As for their stance of adding new HD's both National & Premium channels..unless its a PPV channel they can reap $$ from (and yes trekkies I KNOW a PPV channel doesn't cost D* anything) to add plain & simple --> they suck....

fanboy this stance anyone that flys the flag for DirecTV but they do suck for HD additions my other option is Time Warner and they added HD's more often than D* did in 2010...ahh but the D* Sports HD offerings ....sigh

Game on--> live from NYC
time to goto work..

Edited by Santi360HD, 01 March 2011 - 07:28 AM.

spam firewall