Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Proposed conditions for Comcast/NBCU merger

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

The FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has proposed conditions for the Comcast/NBCU merger deal. A couple of things about this are clear.

First, this is a recommendation from the Chairman for approval of the merger, albeit conditional.

Second, there is this from an LA Times article:

Specifically, one condition would require Comcast to provide its programming to an online video service if rivals such as Walt Disney Co.'s ABC or News Corp.'s Fox were also feeding content to it.

That could be a bitter pill for Comcast to swallow because it would prefer to control its own programming rather than be forced to help competitors — such as Netflix or Google TV — build their businesses.

There are many conditions in Genachowski's proposed order. So far I can't on line find a copy of what he circulated to the other FCC members Thursday. So it appears all we can read is news articles about a "leaked" copy.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:58 AM

This letter? http://fjallfoss.fcc...w?id=7021024634
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

This letter? http://fjallfoss.fcc...w?id=7021024634

No, that's the latest Comcast letter. Genachowski Thursday privately circulated to the other FCC members a proposed order to approve the merger

In this age of Wikileaks, I'm surprised I can't locate a copy of Genachowski's memo and attached proposed order.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

"Comcast, which has spent more than $15 million lobbying the government"

I would like to know who's pockets that $15 million is in. With that much money being thrown around I would expect some "Quid pro quo".
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#5 OFFLINE   Kev

Kev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:46 PM

I would not allow it period. It should be banned. Comcast cannot even manage their own business well. Their customer no service stinks and their prices are high. Tell them to show us they can manage a cable company first. Nothing good comes of these mega mergers. Ask AT&T customers.

#6 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Only three conditions should be imposed on this or any other merger.

- The "retransmission concent" rule is repealed relative to local stations and the Supreme Court's wise ruling in Fortnightly is restored.

- Any rights fee dispute over a channel (owend by Comcast or any other corporation) is automatically submitted to binding arbitration where the average price paid for the channel by the 15 largest cable operators will be averaged and imposed as a fair price for the channel on DBS or over-build.

- Comcast is prohibited from merging with or buying any more cable companies forever.

#7 OFFLINE   Kev

Kev

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Only three conditions should be imposed on this or any other merger.

- The "retransmission concent" rule is repealed relative to local stations and the Supreme Court's wise ruling in Fortnightly is restored.

- Any rights fee dispute over a channel (owend by Comcast or any other corporation) is automatically submitted to binding arbitration where the average price paid for the channel by the 15 largest cable operators will be averaged and imposed as a fair price for the channel on DBS or over-build.

- Comcast is prohibited from merging with or buying any more cable companies forever.

I would also require that they divest themselves of the TV stations they own.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

perhaps arbitration would be sufficient .. It would certainly reduce the leverage Comcast/NBCU would have.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

- Any rights fee dispute over a channel (owend by Comcast or any other corporation) is automatically submitted to binding arbitration

How well did binding arbitration work for Comcast and DISH with CSN California? Not so much?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...