Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How to remove channels from favorites list

search

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   HotRod19579

HotRod19579

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:36 PM

I recently downgraded to a smaller/cheaper Dish Network package with less channels and I now have a problem with the favorites list that I created before the downgrade. I can't remove the older channels that I was subscribed to.

It appears that when you go into to edit your favorites list it only shows you the channels that you are subscribed to. Since I downgraded I cannot edit and unselect the channels that I know longer have access to. When I view the favorites guide the channels that are in my favorites list which I am no longer subscribed to show in red.

How do I remove the channels from my favorites list?
DVR-922, 622, 508
SATS: 61.5/110/119 all DishPro Plus with DPP44

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Recreate the fav list(s).

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,583 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

Can you delete the list and start over with a new one?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   HotRod19579

HotRod19579

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

I see no way to delete the list, only to edit the list. When I edit the list it only shows the list of channels that I am subscribed to and therefore I can't unselect the channels that I no longer have.
DVR-922, 622, 508

#5 OFFLINE   HotRod19579

HotRod19579

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:59 PM

I should also say that while editing the list I selected the "unselect all". That didn't work, it only unselected the channels that I am still subscribed to and the other channels still remain in the list when I go to the guide.
DVR-922, 622, 508

#6 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:40 PM

I believe this is a bug that's been around for a while. I went from AEP to AT200 earlier this year. Chiller and Sleuth are still in my favorites in red, with no way to delete them. :(
-GA

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Are you sure you are using a 922 receiver?

There is no "list" on the 922... just a long scrolly-thing of channel icons.

When I go into one of my favorites lists, on the 922... all channels are always displayed. The ones that are in the favorites list are "checked" while the ones not in the favorites list are not.

You simply point to one of the checked channel icons, hit select on the remote, and it unchecks it (removes it) from the favorites list you are editing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   HotRod19579

HotRod19579

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Are you sure you are using a 922 receiver?

There is no "list" on the 922... just a long scrolly-thing of channel icons.

When I go into one of my favorites lists, on the 922... all channels are always displayed. The ones that are in the favorites list are "checked" while the ones not in the favorites list are not.

You simply point to one of the checked channel icons, hit select on the remote, and it unchecks it (removes it) from the favorites list you are editing.

The list I am referring to is the long scrolly-thing. All channels are not displayed, only the channels that you are subscribed to and that is the source of the problem. I can select/unselect the ones that I am subscribed to but the channels that I previously selected which I am no longer subscribed are not listed and cannot be unselected.
DVR-922, 622, 508

#9 OFFLINE   HotRod19579

HotRod19579

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:16 AM

I believe this is a bug that's been around for a while. I went from AEP to AT200 earlier this year. Chiller and Sleuth are still in my favorites in red, with no way to delete them. :(

Thanks, I thought that I may have been overlooking an option somewhere that would allow me to destroy the list and recreate it from scratch. I guess I am stuck with the red channels in the favorites list until they decide to fix the bug.
DVR-922, 622, 508

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:35 PM

Ok, I think I understand your problem now... sorry about that. I can't test it myself since it requires unsubscribing to a channel.

I think I've seen what you are talking about a long time ago on my 622 when some channels were dropped and I noted that my favorites list was still counting them even though it wasn't showing them.

This is probably essentially the same problem, just that it shows the red channels.

That being the case... it is probably correct that the workaround for this problem would be to create a new favorites list and junk this one that has the glitches.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:52 PM

As we know Fav lists stored in NVRAM/FLASH memory or a file and consists a name and channels' numbers.
It's never been managed by software itself, but only by user. I don't understand how you guys expect to behave the fav lists otherwise.

#12 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

As we know Fav lists stored in NVRAM/FLASH memory or a file and consists a name and channels' numbers.
It's never been managed by software itself, but only by user. I don't understand how you guys expect to behave the fav lists otherwise.

I don't even know what you are trying to say here.

The bug in question is...

IF I subscribe to a channel, say HBO... and add it to my favorites list... then later unsubscribe... sometimes it leaves HBO in the favorites list and you can't delete it.

To me, it should be an easy bug to fix... The favorites lists should not allow inclusion of a channel that you do not currently subscribe to. IF you unsubscribe to a channel, after adding it to a favorites list, then the receiver should remove that from any favorites list either:

1. The next time you invoke the "edit" mode for that list

OR

2. After the next overnight update.

It's just basic cleanup work that shouldn't be hard to do in the firmware... and gives a bad customer experience if it isn't cleaned up.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

Those list's support designed to be done manually. By hands of the user. Other thing is a bug what not allow to remove unsub channel from your Fav list.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:47 AM

Those list's support designed to be done manually. By hands of the user. Other thing is a bug what not allow to remove unsub channel from your Fav list.

So, your point is?

The OP is fine with configuring his Favorites list manually... but the bug is preventing him from removing channels that he no longer subscribes to.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

My point is yes - this is a bug.

#16 OFFLINE   donwmack

donwmack

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 25 posts
  • LocationRIght here

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

The point is when you bring up channels and edit the list to select which channels you want in your custom guide, the paid channels you had are no longer there so you can not deselect (uncheck) them. It's a beautiful catch-22. Regardless of where the channels are stored, they could have an option to show all the channels. That would allow you to remove them. Rocket since this ain't.

The "simple" fix to correct it:
Order the package with the channels you are trying to remove over the web.
Go to the TV and you can now see the channels in the list/guide/whatever you want to call it and remove them.
Go back to the web cancel the channels.

Call support and they will tell you that you can uncheck them. After you explain how THEIR equipment functions, their answer is to a) send you a new box or B) reset the box back to factory defaults. Either way you loose all your settings and recordings.

The great thing about this is when they have the free weekends if you forget to remove the channels before the free weekend expires you have to go through this. After going through this, I went with plan B and dedicated one guide to the free weekend channels.

btw the competition will give me a $200 visa gift card (after I send them a copy of my last bill with the cancellation charges) to switch back and all the discounts a new customer gets. I was won back today.

I will have two HD DVR's and I get the benefit i enjoyed most of watching a recording from DVR A on DVR B and visa versa.

Edited by donwmack, 12 January 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:04 AM

Any update here? Don't we have Dish Rep's on this forum? This seems like a very straightforward bug that is easy to pin down and fix.

#18 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Any update here? Don't we have Dish Rep's on this forum? This seems like a very straightforward bug that is easy to pin down and fix.

Its on order......6 to 8 weeks !!!!!! In Dish time, lets say when they get around to it? ( IF!)

#19 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 12:56 PM

Its on order......6 to 8 weeks !!!!!! In Dish time, lets say when they get around to it? ( IF!)

So does Dish really plan on fixing this or were you just joking about the whole thing? Just wondering...

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,859 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, that was a sick joke ...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: search

Protected By... spam firewall...And...