Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Now you have a signal & now you don't

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I have a SHARPSHOOTER 2000 and things have been fine and all of a sudden the last few week or so, I noticed that sometimes I will have a great signal on most of my OTA's (high 90's) then a few minutes later the signal will just disappear. I can go up in the attic and disconnect the cable and reconnect it and I am back in business. It might stay perfectly fine for a couple of days then do this in and out business again or might go out again a couple of minutes later.

System:

Sharpshooter 2000 (mounted outside - 27 feet above ground)
Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp
OTA runs on it's own line (NO DIPLEXing)
Radio Shack 4-way distribution amp under the house for distribution to 2 TV's and 1 AM21 downstairs

Edited by fluffybear, 30 December 2010 - 09:29 PM.
additional details

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:54 PM

Sounds like either the pre-amp on the SS-2000 or the CM7777 is flakey.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:06 PM

Sharpshooter 2000 (mounted outside - 27 feet above ground)
Channel Master 7777 Pre-Amp
OTA runs on it's own line (NO DIPLEXing)
Radio Shack 4-way distribution amp under the house for distribution to 2 TV's and 1 AM21 downstairs

You have a total of three amplifiers in your system. That's about 1 1/2 too many.

I'd try removing the 7777, make sure that the power inserter for the SS-2000 is connected properly, and see what happens.

#4 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

You have a total of three amplifiers in your system. That's about 1 1/2 too many.

I'd try removing the 7777, make sure that the power inserter for the SS-2000 is connected properly, and see what happens.

I'll give that a try and see what happens.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#5 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

You might have a dirty or wet connection (likely outdoors).

Another thing...less likely...is a flakey power supply. Come to think of it, though, a wet connection could be causing the PS to drop out, and unplugging resets it.

But, I was thinking about a problem I had with a commercial power supply once. Unplugging the power or fuse would make it come back....found that several wires had not been soldered inside the power supply (one was on the fuse holder)!
I even replaced the preamp before finding this.

#6 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,170 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

You might have a dirty or wet connection (likely outdoors).

Another thing...less likely...is a flakey power supply. Come to think of it, though, a wet connection could be causing the PS to drop out, and unplugging resets it.

But, I was thinking about a problem I had with a commercial power supply once. Unplugging the power or fuse would make it come back....found that several wires had not been soldered inside the power supply (one was on the fuse holder)!
I even replaced the preamp before finding this.

Good thought but the connector on the antenna (only wire which goes outside) has a water tight connector on it with a rubber seal but I will check it out. I'm really starting to side with the idea of a flakey power supply.

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...