Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:54 PM

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals; Northwest Broadcasting Only Station Owner to Black Out Local Channels in Attempt to Extract Outrageous 600% Increase

DIRECTV Concludes Successful Deals with Hearst, Granite, Gannett, Red River Broadcasting, KLAS-TV and Sarkes-Tarzian Broadcast Groups but Northwest Refuses Requests to Keep Channels Up While Talks Continue or For Arbitration Leaving Its Viewers in the Lurch

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV sharply rebuked Northwest Broadcasting today for attempting to "extort" a more than 600 percent fee increase to carry its local channels and forcing DIRECTV to take down broadcast networks in five markets. DIRECTV asked Northwest to keep the channels up while negotiations continued or bring the issue to arbitration to avoid any programming disruption to its customers, but Northwest refused and demanded the channels be taken down.

The Northwest blackout will take place at midnight PT tonight, affecting DIRECTV customers in Binghamton, N.Y.; Medford, Ore.; Yakima and Spokane, Wash.; and Laredo, Texas.

"We are appalled by the irresponsible behavior of Northwest Broadcasting, which has decided they would rather deprive our customers of their local channels, than make even an honest and good faith attempt to reach a fair deal in contract negotiations," said DIRECTV's Chairman, CEO and President Mike White. "For local broadcast station owners to brazenly hold viewers hostage in an attempt to extort fees that are astronomically higher than what we pay other local broadcasters is flat out wrong. We hope that Northwest will ultimately come to the table in good faith to discuss reasonable terms and fees and they will quickly restore programming to our customers."

He added, "I am sitting at the negotiating table with hundreds of thousands of my customers right behind me. Not a single one of them wants to pay a 600% price increase."

DIRECTV agreed to pay Northwest a fair market price increase that was consistent with fees it negotiated in other recently concluded contract talks for local broadcast channels. In the past weeks alone, DIRECTV was able to come to a fair deal with broadcast groups Gannett, Granite, Hearst, Red River Broadcasting, KLAS-TV and Sarkes-Tarzian, affecting millions of DIRECTV customers.

DIRECTV also pointed out that broadcasters like Northwest have been granted a number of special privileges by the federal government including free use of the public airwaves and have a responsibility to consumers to provide access to their content.

"We believe Northwest has now brazenly abused that privilege when they attempt to manipulate consumers through channel blackouts and threats in order to force their unreasonable demands on distributors like DIRECTV," said White. "And just as broadcasters have a responsibility to protect their viewers from programming disruptions, we have an obligation to protect our customers from unwarranted and outrageous fee increases that further drive up the costs of our programming services and create economic pressure on consumers at a time when they can ill afford it."

DIRECTV noted that the tenor of contract discussions with station owners has changed dramatically in recent years and has seen an increasingly belligerent attitude among broadcasters who are demanding unprecedented fee hikes and threatening blackouts.

While this is of great concern to DIRECTV and other distributors, it has not escaped the attention of the Federal Communications Commission or members of Congress in Washington. The FCC said it will begin the process of examining how to protect customers from the kind of behavior displayed by Northwest and other station owners, who have been involved in contentious contract negotiations this past year. DIRECTV intends to bring Northwest's egregious behavior to the attention of the Federal Communications Commission when it begins its review of retransmission rules this year.

About DIRECTV:

DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is the world's most popular video service delivering state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming, the most comprehensive sports packages available and industry leading customer service to its 27.6 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 19.1 million customers access to over 160 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound (when available), access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, award winning technology like its DIRECTV® DVR Scheduler and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for ten years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 8.5 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 65 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit directv.com.

DIRECTV
Robert Mercer, 310-964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com
or
Darris Gringeri, 212-205-0882
dagringeri@directv.com

Source: DIRECTV
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:56 PM

What about Raycom? My local Fox affiliate is owned by Raycom.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

What about Raycom? My local Fox affiliate is owned by Raycom.

That's the whole press release. It doesn't seem as if Raycom is involved in the current information.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

Sigh... I would hate to lose Fox network for any extended period of time.

#5 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Sigh... I would hate to lose Fox network for any extended period of time.

I've asked, but honestly .. It's New Year's Eve and getting close to midnight now .. I don't expect to hear anything tonight. If I do, I'll try to post if I'm not busy (unlikely).

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

The whole Raycom Direct TV situation is he said she said and is confusing as hell so Id wait until Midnight to see whats up.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

How would it work? At 12:01 local time it would be gone?

My local Fox is Raycom, and if Knoxville's is then I can use it to determine if I've lost mine. I know DirecTV was saying that there was an automatic one year extension.

#8 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:23 PM

I'm not convinced Raycom will be turned off tonight even if a new contract is not completed .. DIRECTV probably would have stated that in the press release if it were going to happen .. or perhaps there will be another one later. :shrug:

Still, if the agreement ends tonight, it is possible that Raycom channels will go dark. Just be advised of that and hope it doesn't happen.

#9 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

I'll be watching at midnight to see if my local Raycom Fox affiliate goes dark and will report back. If it does go dark will there be any way to get Fox network programming?

#10 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

For those who are wondering check your channel lineup. Especially if they didn't give and do so under the all channels heading on your box. If the channel was going down tonight you will probably have a channel named Alerts. LIkely on the DT channel number that would use if receiving it via OTA, but the signal is coming from a Directv Satellite. This what has happened with the Northwest Broadcasting stations. This channel was added a few days ago and based on the artcile, I would expect that they are probably not even trying to talk with that company. As far as raycom, Directv seems to be of the opinion that their agreement would auto renew or something on those lines and obviously don't believe they are going to lose those raycom owned stations.
edit Raycom has extended through 2014.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:39 PM

Are you saying a deal is now done?

#12 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

For those who are wondering check your channel lineup. Especially if they didn't give and do so under the all channels heading on your box. If the channel was going down tonight you will probably have a channel named Alerts. LIkely on the DT channel number that would use if receiving it via OTA, but the signal is coming from a Directv Satellite. This what has happened with the Northwest Broadcasting stations. This channel was added a few days ago and based on the artcile, I would expect that they are probably not even trying to talk with that company. As far as raycom, Directv seems to be of the opinion that their agreement would auto renew or something on those lines and obviously don't believe they are going to lose those raycom owned stations.

I've had one of these "ALERT" channels for several days. 48-1 for WAFF in Huntsville, AL a Raycom station.

#13 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

Well you are saved though. They reached an agreement with them. Something must have changed in the last several hours for them to say they have an agreement in hand.
Each of the Raycom stations have this message oin their websites now. So it sounds like they are probably ok.
We have provided DirecTV a signed copy of an agreement that will allow continued carriage of this station to DirecTV subscribers into 2014. We are awaiting their signature.
The new message is a slighty different one than they had a just a little while ago. Where it said they had signed agreement in hand.

I've had one of these "ALERT" channels for several days. 48-1 for WAFF in Huntsville, AL a Raycom station.

#14 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:11 PM

According to John Ourand at SBJ

Comcast extends deals with Dish Network for E! and Style. Extension expected on Golf Channel with DirecTV, too. Happy New Year!

looks like we'll have Golf Channel at least for a while. I would imagine neither side wanted to lose the channel, Golf needs the #'s and DirecTV likes the Golf customer because they have $$$$$.

#15 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

goodbye sat feed of wxix. if I read the post right. if wxix was to go dark wouldn't the guide data for the sat channel be changed to tell you it will go dark? yes the whole raycom situation is confusing,

Edited by dorfd1, 31 December 2010 - 08:19 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

Well you are saved though. They reached an agreement with them. Something must have changed in the last several hours for them to say they have an agreement in hand.
Each of the Raycom stations have this message oin their websites now. So it sounds like they are probably ok.
We have provided DirecTV a signed copy of an agreement that will allow continued carriage of this station to DirecTV subscribers into 2014. We are awaiting their signature.
The new message is a slighty different one than they had a just a little while ago. Where it said they had signed agreement in hand.

We saw that earlier, some in the Raycom thread didn't sound like it was all that positive, that there were still differences that DirecTV may not agree to.

Edited by dpeters11, 31 December 2010 - 08:26 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:20 PM

Ah yes, there it is:
http://www.wtnzfox43.com/

Basically, it's looking like Raycom is good to go now. May not be signed until the new year as it's getting late, but it seems to be done.

#18 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

link please since I am confused

#19 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ah yes, there it is:
http://www.wtnzfox43.com/

Basically, it's looking like Raycom is good to go now. May not be signed until the new year as it's getting late, but it seems to be done.

sorry for the double post. you sure directv is not refusing to sign?

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

link please since I am confused

This is one of them
http://www.wxix.com/....asp?s=13659842

Protected By... spam firewall...And...