Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

This is one of them
http://www.wxix.com/....asp?s=13659842

still confused. it sounds like both sides agree but I don't think that is true. wouldn't directv have to read the agreement first before they sign?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

still confused. it sounds like both sides agree but I don't think that is true. wouldn't directv have to read the agreement first before they sign?

Read between the lines. Wait til midnight to see the results.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Read between the lines. Wait til midnight to see the results.

your right. I should wait because I get confused each time I read it.

#24 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

Directv has updated their page regarding these.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2922
Then the sub page for just northwest broadcasting.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3094

#25 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:13 PM

Directv has updated their page regarding these.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/2922
Then the sub page for just northwest broadcasting.
http://support.direc...etail/a_id/3094

so I guess raycom and directv are still negotiating?

#26 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:31 PM

It is my understanding that the stations (owners) actually control whether or not the signal gets polled. So, if the station feels they have reached an agreement, the signal does not get pulled. That doesn't mean if DirecTV refuses at a later date to sign it, it won't get pulled, it just means it won't get pulled tonight.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

#27 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Ah yes, there it is:
http://www.wtnzfox43.com/

Basically, it's looking like Raycom is good to go now. May not be signed until the new year as it's getting late, but it seems to be done.

It seems like Raycom is positioning themselves to have the public's sympathy if negotiations aren't settled. All their statement says is they have a document that they feel good about and DirecTV hasn't signed it. Nothing suggests DirecTV wants to sign it, but the statement makes it appear that if the Raycom channels go dark DirecTV is at fault.

#28 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

It seems like Raycom is positioning themselves to have the public's sympathy if negotiations aren't settled. All their statement says is they have a document that they feel good about and DirecTV hasn't signed it. Nothing suggests DirecTV wants to sign it, but the statement makes it appear that if the Raycom channels go dark DirecTV is at fault.

another question. why was raycom not mentioned at all in the press release?

#29 OFFLINE   iainleaver

iainleaver

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:11 PM

Looks like we lose our Fox channel here in Richland WA (Yakima)

Guess i shouldn't be hopeful that they will add Fox in HD around here anytime soon if they are pulling the SD channel!!

I guess its time to get an antenna installed on the roof

#30 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

more info regarding the northwest broadcasting/ directv issue.
http://support.direc...ating/related/1
Our agreement with Northwest, the owner of your local broadcast station(s), expired on 12/31/10. After months of radio silence and ignoring our requests to talk about the agreement, Northwest contacted us at the eleventh hour and demanded that we accept a 600% increase in fees. We of course declined that offer because we can't ask our customers to absorb such an increase. We responded with a fair counter offer and they flatly refused to accept it. Now that our agreement has expired, Northwest has demanded that we take their channels down even though we asked them to keep the local station(s) up while we continue to negotiate.

#31 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

another question. why was raycom not mentioned at all in the press release?

Because a deal hasn't been signed or agreed to. Raycom basically only says they are waiting for DirecTV to agree to their latest offer, not that the two have agreed on anything. It's worded to make DirecTV look like the bad guys if they don't agree to Raycom's terms.

It's similar to the DirecTV's press release at the top of this thread. Despite having a title that suggests at least some talk about the deals DirecTV did get done, the entire point of the article is all about how horrible Northwest Broadcast is.

In both cases, the intent is to "play" the public who could hurt by a lack of a deal; in the first instance, to be against DirecTV, in the second, to be pro-DirecTV

#32 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

I just emailed this:

Stop trying to extort money from directv. And you know very well that $5 a month they charge for locals includes the fiber line to their uplink facility which aint cheap, as well as the equipment to rebroadcast your station which is operating on public airwaves. You should be ashamed of yourself trying to mislead your customers like that. And no, I dont work for DirecTv, but Im sick of my bills going up because of stations like yours.

to http://www.myfoxspokane.com/

in reference to the misleading info on their website which made it sound as if DirecTv was collecting $5 a month from customers to watch their free station.... If others were to email them, they might get the message, and when its your stations turn, they might think twice.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#33 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

KFFX has yet to be taken down. I'm wondering if it won't happen tell 6am eastern time.

#34 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:10 AM

Nope they took it down, but have another station group mentioned on the screen.

#35 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

The first thing I did this morning was to tune to 40-1 and what do I see but the DirecTV logo and the channel ID showing 40-1 Alerts. I panicked and then did a channel up and there was my OTA version. Of course, ch 40 shows the info screen. I think that it's weird that DirecTV would force a second 40-1 just to show a large DirecTV logo. I guess they want to make sure that their subscribers would get the message.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#36 OFFLINE   Montezuma58

Montezuma58

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:44 AM

That is the feeling I go from reading the statement too. Another possibility is that the agreement was automatically renewed as DirecTV claimed and Raycom is trying to not look as stupid since the stations are still up.

#37 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas (Tyler DMA)

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:17 AM

bingo, I suspect you are correct
Slimline (SWM) > HR 44-500 > WVBR0-01 > C41W-500 + HR 24-200 (AM-21) = (Whole Home DVR) Ultimate + HD Extra Pack + HBO + Showtime + Protection Plan<p>

#38 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

wxix is still on in cincinnati

#39 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

All Ye of little faith. :D;)
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#40 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

All Ye of little faith. :D;)

I don't know how long it will be on. but lets hope directv and raycom come to an agreement.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...