Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   iainleaver

iainleaver

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Can anyone recommend a good installer in the Richland WA area to install an antenna on my roof

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of a la carte, but perhaps locals could be done that way. You get all the stations that offer free retransmission, and a pass-through of the per-subscriber charges each station imposes. Since these stations have opted out of must-carry, that shouldn't be a problem.

DirecTV would then drop the $2 local charge and cover remaining overhead in its basic package fee. The result would be that individual subscribers would decide if the station is worth the demanded fee, and DirecTV could wash their hands of it.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#53 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I expect the Raycom channels to stay on .. There really shouldn't be anything to worry about with them.

Yes, if they are actually negotiating in good faith and the delay is just holidays and lawyering I'd be shocked if the stations went dark while negotiations were in progress. A simple handshake agreement would suffice to keep them up for a few days if all the agreement needed was review and signoff.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#54 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

DirecTV charges $5 for local channels - multiple local channels.

Directv does not charge anything for local channels on their current packages. They are include in the markets where locals are provided. If you are in a market where Directv does not provide locals, your package is discounted by $3/month. You could intrepret that to mean that Directv charges $3/month for locals, but that is just included in the monthly package charge.

With some older expired/grandfathered package, the cost to add locals could be different. That additional cost allows subs to maintain their grandfathered package, but the pricing structure more closely mirrors the current packages. Again that additional charged for locals may not reflect the "true" cost of locals, but rather just to minimize the price difference between grandfathered and current packages.

#55 OFFLINE   NowSTL

NowSTL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

...and despite that kind of data...remarkably....a number of folks don't recognize the greed and blame their sat company. Unreal.

Perhaps they will someday break out the local HD channel costs in separate cost pricing models to recoup those variations, which of course will also expose the higher-cost areas based on the exhorbitant prices for those.

I suspect that will happen. Some cable companies now now identify these costs so consumers can understand the source of price increases. Again, posturing to get the consumer's support.

#56 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Directv does not charge anything for local channels on their current packages. They are include in the markets where locals are provided. If you are in a market where Directv does not provide locals, your package is discounted by $3/month. You could intrepret that to mean that Directv charges $3/month for locals, but that is just included in the monthly package charge.

With some older expired/grandfathered package, the cost to add locals could be different. That additional cost allows subs to maintain their grandfathered package, but the pricing structure more closely mirrors the current packages. Again that additional charged for locals may not reflect the "true" cost of locals, but rather just to minimize the price difference between grandfathered and current packages.

What the providers pay to programmers is almost always covered under an NDA

#57 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

I don't understand why local stations should receive compensation from DirecTV at all....

I think the locals should pay DirecTV in order to get more viewers for their podunk stations. :lol:
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I suspect that will happen. Some cable companies now now identify these costs so consumers can understand the source of price increases. Again, posturing to get the consumer's support.

The plot will thicken even more if/when ComCrap gets ownership of NBC Universal.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   BEP1030

BEP1030

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Here in Kennewick, WA, love my H20-100.

#60 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

I think the locals should pay DirecTV in order to get more viewers for their podunk stations. :lol:

Of the top channels requested by cable/satellite subscribers...four of them are over-the-air networks. I know a lot of people choose satellite or cable because of reception issues with local stations or they simply don't want to install an antenna. In other words, DirecTV and cable providers MAKE MONEY off LOCAL channels. So they take something that is free and make money of it. Would you want to give away something for free so someone else can make money off of it? I sure don't.

Also, I know for a fact that stations are only getting pennies per viewer. The brand new Oprah network is asking for $.21 per viewer which is more then local stations get. To compare, ESPN gets $4.00 per viewer.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:24 AM

Of the top channels requested by cable/satellite subscribers...four of them are over-the-air networks. I know a lot of people choose satellite or cable because of reception issues with local stations or they simply don't want to install an antenna. In other words, DirecTV and cable providers MAKE MONEY off LOCAL channels. So they take something that is free and make money of it. Would you want to give away something for free so someone else can make money off of it? I sure don't.

Also, I know for a fact that stations are only getting pennies per viewer. The brand new Oprah network is asking for $.21 per viewer which is more then local stations get. To compare, ESPN gets $4.00 per viewer.

• Locals are only available to customers in the market that is being served by OTA reception.
  • These station's business model is to "serve it for free", and sell commercial time for profit.
  • They also have control over who can get their network programing from other sources [DNS] through issuing [or not] waivers.
  • Cable or SAT providers charge nominal fees for their costs to retransmit these channels. Bandwidth isn't free unless you're using the public's airwaves.
  • "Cable channels" [Oprah, ESPN, etc.] haven't been granted a license to use the airwaves, so they have a different business model.
  • A subset of these are the premium channels without commercials and higher fees.
Let's truly compare apples to apples, and not to oranges.

Edited by veryoldschool, 02 January 2011 - 10:35 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#62 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Just because subscribers want the networks doesn't mean they want the local affiliates. However, I do recognize that local news and weather coverage is a big draw, especially for older viewers.

Ah, yes, but the local affiliates draw mere thousands of viewers, whereas networks such as OWN and ESPN draw millions of viewers. Also, national networks such as OWN and ESPN (and virtually every other national commercial network) allow the providers (DirecTV, Dish, cable or telco) to insert their own advertising (through local availabilities), thus lowering the effective rate paid for those networks. When was the last time you heard of a local broadcaster giving up ANY of his advertising availabilities to the carrier(s) of his programming? Hmmm?

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#63 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Starting to look like KNDO got most of what they were asking for. SWX TV ads asking people to call to get it on Satellite are now aimed only at Dish network leading you to believe the channel is available on the other providers. I suspect we will see SWX on soon In Yakima/ Tri-Cities area.

Edited by mshaw2715, 02 January 2011 - 11:12 PM.

#64 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

Northwest broadcasting has some more interesting numbers they believe are the reason they are asking for a fair price. They feel Directv marks local stations up 1000 percent and don't tell you they have done this either. http://www.myfoxtric...rectv-statement
http://www.myfoxspok...0,2302925.story

#65 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

Yea, right. They complain because DirecTv recoups the cost to capture the signal, transport it across the country, upload it to special spot beam satellites...and complains that Directv is greedy and wont pay the poor small privately owned company their fair share, then tells viewers to watch them for free with an antenna? That makes no sense at all. Maybe they should share their advertising profits with DirecTv since I am sure there are hundreds or thousands of people watching that would not be without DirecTv that allows them to charge more for advertising.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#66 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

Northwest broadcasting has some more interesting numbers they believe are the reason they are asking for a fair price. They feel Directv marks local stations up 1000 percent and don't tell you they have done this either. http://www.myfoxtric...rectv-statement
http://www.myfoxspok...0,2302925.story

What a joke. That's not even a lame negotiating tactic comment from Northwest...its over the top lame.

They must have lots of sore shoulders there from padding themselves on the back all day long for how great they are... !rolling

#67 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,455 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:28 AM

Just because subscribers want the networks doesn't mean they want the local affiliates. However, I do recognize that local news and weather coverage is a big draw, especially for older viewers. ...

This is what I laugh at the local affiliates about. They always complain that the MSOs refuse to compensate them fairly for their allegedly "great programming" as Northwest is doing here. Well if their local programming is really as great as they claim then why do most affiliate stations support the NAB's hard fight to have the government continue to heavily restrict DNS service and hardly ever grant waivers for it?

Let's see the local stations actually prove they have all this great programming by opening up to true competition and grant DNS waivers to anyone who wants them or have the NAB drop their opposition to its restrictions.

C'mon ... :nono2:

The majority of these local network affiliate stations know good and darn well that their only major value is as an outlet for network programming and need government protection of their markets to survive.

#68 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

... then tells viewers to watch them for free with an antenna?

This is the exact position Northwest is in now .. Their market is now OTA only. While I certainly don't know the details of any contract negotiations, I will speculate that Northwest's compensation is probably similar to other local market stations across the country which recently concluded negotiations with DIRECTV. It may not be exactly the same, but it's probably not far off - I refuse to believe that these local channel providers don't give some indication to each other what each other are getting.

Northwest's argument is "DIRECTV is making a killing, so we should too." When in reality the market price is what should be charged regardless of who is getting the short end of the stick. The funny thing is that with fewer subscribers in these areas, DIRECTV may not even be breaking even on retransmitting the signal. Certainly this is evened out by larger markets, but without real numbers we can never know.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#69 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

See that is the thing. I think we should be told what we are actually paying for these stations. if Directv is so concerned about the cost of restransmitting the signal, then they should include that information as well. in addition to that I think we should be told what a channel or channel group (like showtime) would cost us if it was done by alacarte. Because if channels are going to continue to try and make up for the lost advertising by taking it out on everyone else, we may have to go alacarte anyway.

This is the exact position Northwest is in now .. Their market is now OTA only. While I certainly don't know the details of any contract negotiations, I will speculate that Northwest's compensation is probably similar to other local market stations across the country which recently concluded negotiations with DIRECTV. It may not be exactly the same, but it's probably not far off - I refuse to believe that these local channel providers don't give some indication to each other what each other are getting.

Northwest's argument is "DIRECTV is making a killing, so we should too." When in reality the market price is what should be charged regardless of who is getting the short end of the stick. The funny thing is that with fewer subscribers in these areas, DIRECTV may not even be breaking even on retransmitting the signal. Certainly this is evened out by larger markets, but without real numbers we can never know.

#70 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:20 AM

See that is the thing. I think we should be told what we are actually paying for these stations. if Directv is so concerned about the cost of restransmitting the signal, then they should include that information as well. in addition to that I think we should be told what a channel or channel group (like showtime) would cost us if it was done by alacarte. Because if channels are going to continue to try and make up for the lost advertising by taking it out on everyone else, we may have to go alacarte anyway.

We can't be told what the price would be if it were a la carte because the a la carte numbers would be much, much higher than the per-subscriber numbers are. Even if DIRECTV wanted to share this information, anything they said would be inaccurate.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:28 AM

Showtime may have been a poor choice as it does come "a la carte" in the $12/month range.
Perhaps the costs of local network retransmission could be compared to the costs of a DNS network, which "used to be" $1.50/month to the customer.

If these local as$&&$% think their product is so great, then issue blanket waivers to all customers for DNS service and let the market decide.
The idea of having exclusive control AND then extorting retransmission fees is absurd.
They want their cake, they want to eat it too, AND they want to be paid for it too. :nono:
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

I think DirecTV should do an a-la-carte with the channel groups. Offer more packages and/or give the subscribers the choice of which channel groups they want. Let the subscribers pick a minimum of say 3 groups for $x.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:38 AM

If these local as$&&$% think their product is so great, then issue blanket waivers to all customers for DNS service and let the market decide.

OTA antenna sales skyrocket - film at 11. :D:lol:

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,088 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

OTA antenna sales skyrocket - film at 11. :D:lol:

"yeah"

The point that chaps my ... is that locals have exclusive control/access to a market, through the waiver granting [and NOT] process as part of their FCC license, yet they feel they can charge retransmission fees [at all].
"IF" all their advertising isn't being carried by the retransmitting, "THEN" a fee is reasonable/justified.
A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,097 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 03 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

Since I got my HR20 over 3 years ago, I've been using a $9 pair of rabbit ears to get the 'important' OTA channels for backup during storms / rainfade.

I certainly didn't want an exterior antenna with a rotator and tried several amplified indoor antennas in the $30-50 range - Terk, Phillips, etc.

A couple of weeks ago, I started checking it with the possibility of our local CBS going dark (didn't) and decided to order PID 4729 from Monoprice - $17.

I am AMAZED at it's reception! Channels I couldn't acquire are now 50-60% and 40-50s are now 90-100s.

While I can't compare them side-by-side since I returned them, it's the only powered / amplified antenna that made a difference with the power plugged it! It's also so small (approx. 5x8x1/2) and unobtrusive, it easily hides behind a picture frame.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...