Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:58 AM

I just emailed this:

Stop trying to extort money from directv. And you know very well that $5 a month they charge for locals includes the fiber line to their uplink facility which aint cheap, as well as the equipment to rebroadcast your station which is operating on public airwaves. You should be ashamed of yourself trying to mislead your customers like that. And no, I dont work for DirecTv, but Im sick of my bills going up because of stations like yours.

to http://www.myfoxspokane.com/

in reference to the misleading info on their website which made it sound as if DirecTv was collecting $5 a month from customers to watch their free station.... If others were to email them, they might get the message, and when its your stations turn, they might think twice.

I guess I was lucky with Hearst, as I didn't need to do this, but wanted to.
I had the notice being displayed and tried their website [per their message], but they had nothing but a story about this from Dec. 12th. I figured they might/should have had a place to post, but they didn't.

Not sure why DirecTV is even being charged for what is received from them OTA [in this market].
I can understand costs for fiber links etc., but for DirecTV to be simply "my antenna" and me being below the FCC minimum signal level, unless DirecTV were to not air all the commercials from this station, I really can't find a reason for charging a fee to retransmit their signal. The station simply gets more viewers to what they are broadcasting over the air.
This is the same station that won't issue waivers for those like me that can't get their signal with a large antenna and TVfool shows their signal power is -122.6 dBm.
They seem to want their cake, eat it too, and then charge DirecTV [us] also.
[/rant]
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

As of 10:00 AM January 1st, My Local NBC Channel is still on the air, WMC TV 5 Memphis. It says at their website "Raycom Media, this station's parent company, has been in good faith negotiations with DirecTV to ensure the continued availability of this television station and the popular news and entertainment programs you enjoy on DirecTV.

Raycom has agreed in writing to substantially all the terms mutually negotiated to keep this station on DirecTV's service. Raycom has sent DirecTV a signed agreement for DirecTV to execute. We are awaiting DirecTV's signature on the agreement." So I am assuming the ball is now in DirecTv's Court to either sign the deal or pull the plug on programming. Come On DirecTv Sign it so I won't have to worry about this station getting yanked. NFL Wildcard Saturday is next weekend and I would be Madder than HELL if I could not see the playoffs come next weekend.

#43 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

As of 10:00 AM January 1st, My Local NBC Channel is still on the air, WMC TV 5 Memphis. It says at their website "Raycom Media, this station's parent company, has been in good faith negotiations with DirecTV to ensure the continued availability of this television station and the popular news and entertainment programs you enjoy on DirecTV.

Raycom has agreed in writing to substantially all the terms mutually negotiated to keep this station on DirecTV's service. Raycom has sent DirecTV a signed agreement for DirecTV to execute. We are awaiting DirecTV's signature on the agreement." So I am assuming the ball is now in DirecTv's Court to either sign the deal or pull the plug on programming. Come On DirecTv Sign it so I won't have to worry about this station getting yanked. NFL Wildcard Saturday is next weekend and I would be Madder than HELL if I could not see the playoffs come next weekend.

use ota or cable if the directv pulls the plug

#44 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

I expect the Raycom channels to stay on .. There really shouldn't be anything to worry about with them.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals; Northwest Broadcasting Only Station Owner to Black Out Local Channels in Attempt to Extract Outrageous 600% Increase

600%?

I am with DirecTV on this one..... 600% is outrageous! Maybe if the local population of the area has grown so much that the station can carry better advertising and thus programming.... maybe then it would be justified to increase the fees by doubling them..... but 600%??
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#46 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

That is the feeling I go from reading the statement too. Another possibility is that the agreement was automatically renewed as DirecTV claimed and Raycom is trying to not look as stupid since the stations are still up.

Yeah. I just got around to reading D* earlier statement that Raycom contract doesn't officially end until the end of 2011.

#47 OFFLINE   dthreet

dthreet

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 01:49 PM

FOX Channel 40 WICZ
Binghamton, NY

MNT Channel 10 WBPN
Binghamton, NY

FOX Channel 26 KMVU
Medford, OR

FOX Channel 11 KFFX
Yakima, WA

FOX Channel 28 KAYU
Spokane, WA

FOX Channel 39 KXOF
Lerado, TX
(2) HR20-100s networked w/ 0x485
(1) HR20-700s networked w/ 0x485

My Setup: <Click Here>

#48 OFFLINE   davidjplatt

davidjplatt

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:11 PM

I don't understand why local stations should receive compensation from DirecTV at all.

DirecTV charges $5 for local channels - multiple local channels. If DirecTV is paying for the fiber link to get the feed of the channel, the channel should be GREATFUL that DirecTV is increasing their viewership. And I say that because a lot of people that get their locals over satellite can't get OTA signals even with a rooftop antenna. Therefore, they pick up viewers.

The local stations are just being stupid - they are trying to reduce their viewership not increase their audience. I'm pretty sure local stations can ask for more money for advertising if they have 200,000 viewers instead of 100,000 versions in a given market. I'm sure they wouldn't decrease their fee to DirecTV if they get more advertising revenue due to satellite carriage of the channel.

Penny wise and pound foolish...

#49 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

I'm not sure what NorthWest is getting now, but if it's $0.15/sub, now they want over $0.90/sub.

I probably get a lot more local channels here in the SF Bay Area than these smaller markets. Perhaps Northwest is using the logic that "there's only a couple of stations in our DMA .. You should be paying us a bigger chunk of that fixed-rate local channel pie since there's not as many channels to spread around."

What's more likely the case is that some of the larger markets (like mine) are subsidizing the smaller markets.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#50 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

I'm not sure what NorthWest is getting now, but if it's $0.15/sub, now they want over $0.90/sub.

...and despite that kind of data...remarkably....a number of folks don't recognize the greed and blame their sat company. Unreal.

Perhaps they will someday break out the local HD channel costs in separate cost pricing models to recoup those variations, which of course will also expose the higher-cost areas based on the exhorbitant prices for those.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#51 OFFLINE   iainleaver

iainleaver

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

Can anyone recommend a good installer in the Richland WA area to install an antenna on my roof

#52 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

I'm not a big fan of a la carte, but perhaps locals could be done that way. You get all the stations that offer free retransmission, and a pass-through of the per-subscriber charges each station imposes. Since these stations have opted out of must-carry, that shouldn't be a problem.

DirecTV would then drop the $2 local charge and cover remaining overhead in its basic package fee. The result would be that individual subscribers would decide if the station is worth the demanded fee, and DirecTV could wash their hands of it.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#53 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I expect the Raycom channels to stay on .. There really shouldn't be anything to worry about with them.

Yes, if they are actually negotiating in good faith and the delay is just holidays and lawyering I'd be shocked if the stations went dark while negotiations were in progress. A simple handshake agreement would suffice to keep them up for a few days if all the agreement needed was review and signoff.
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#54 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

DirecTV charges $5 for local channels - multiple local channels.

Directv does not charge anything for local channels on their current packages. They are include in the markets where locals are provided. If you are in a market where Directv does not provide locals, your package is discounted by $3/month. You could intrepret that to mean that Directv charges $3/month for locals, but that is just included in the monthly package charge.

With some older expired/grandfathered package, the cost to add locals could be different. That additional cost allows subs to maintain their grandfathered package, but the pricing structure more closely mirrors the current packages. Again that additional charged for locals may not reflect the "true" cost of locals, but rather just to minimize the price difference between grandfathered and current packages.

#55 OFFLINE   NowSTL

NowSTL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:12 PM

...and despite that kind of data...remarkably....a number of folks don't recognize the greed and blame their sat company. Unreal.

Perhaps they will someday break out the local HD channel costs in separate cost pricing models to recoup those variations, which of course will also expose the higher-cost areas based on the exhorbitant prices for those.

I suspect that will happen. Some cable companies now now identify these costs so consumers can understand the source of price increases. Again, posturing to get the consumer's support.

#56 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Directv does not charge anything for local channels on their current packages. They are include in the markets where locals are provided. If you are in a market where Directv does not provide locals, your package is discounted by $3/month. You could intrepret that to mean that Directv charges $3/month for locals, but that is just included in the monthly package charge.

With some older expired/grandfathered package, the cost to add locals could be different. That additional cost allows subs to maintain their grandfathered package, but the pricing structure more closely mirrors the current packages. Again that additional charged for locals may not reflect the "true" cost of locals, but rather just to minimize the price difference between grandfathered and current packages.

What the providers pay to programmers is almost always covered under an NDA

#57 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

I don't understand why local stations should receive compensation from DirecTV at all....

I think the locals should pay DirecTV in order to get more viewers for their podunk stations. :lol:
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:29 PM

I suspect that will happen. Some cable companies now now identify these costs so consumers can understand the source of price increases. Again, posturing to get the consumer's support.

The plot will thicken even more if/when ComCrap gets ownership of NBC Universal.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   BEP1030

BEP1030

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Here in Kennewick, WA, love my H20-100.

#60 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:59 AM

I think the locals should pay DirecTV in order to get more viewers for their podunk stations. :lol:

Of the top channels requested by cable/satellite subscribers...four of them are over-the-air networks. I know a lot of people choose satellite or cable because of reception issues with local stations or they simply don't want to install an antenna. In other words, DirecTV and cable providers MAKE MONEY off LOCAL channels. So they take something that is free and make money of it. Would you want to give away something for free so someone else can make money off of it? I sure don't.

Also, I know for a fact that stations are only getting pennies per viewer. The brand new Oprah network is asking for $.21 per viewer which is more then local stations get. To compare, ESPN gets $4.00 per viewer.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

Protected By... spam firewall...And...