Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Completes Six Retransmission Deals

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

My guess is Northwest will end up falling in line with the other deals that DIRECTV already negotiated. Not sure we'll ever really know, though.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

That is what I'm thinking.
This page placing a link to I think gives you a better idea of what's been happening and also explains how the 600 percent increase came from as well. Having said that It's clear they were asking for a dollar a month at first.
http://www.myfoxtric..._us/DirecTV_FAQ

My guess is Northwest will end up falling in line with the other deals that DIRECTV already negotiated. Not sure we'll ever really know, though.

#143 OFFLINE   BCARR

BCARR

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Meanwhile in smaller DMA's like Montgomery, Alabama (#150) the local, family-owned FOX station, has been dark on the DirecTV Guide for the past 60 days. I am sure the re-trans agreements with the majors are priority one for D* but there are still quite a few of us who won't be watching the Super Bowl at home this weekend. I suppose this is really a game of "chicken" to see who gives in first. Meanwhile I am paying a monthly fee for my locals in HD, save one.

#144 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:49 PM

Just temperary at this point 4 week time period to allow for a contract to be signed between the two parties.

No, just temporary for four weeks to allow Northwest Broadcasting to count DirecTV subscribers in their Nielsen ratings. February sweeps starts TOMORROW!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#145 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

No, just temporary for four weeks to allow Northwest Broadcasting to count DirecTV subscribers in their Nielsen ratings. February sweeps starts TOMORROW!

All the more reason to not watch your local Fox during sweeps. :D

Update: 2/4/2011 - Just received an automated phone call from DirecTV telling me that our locals are now available while the negotiations continue. :)

Edited by jdspencer, 04 February 2011 - 11:32 AM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#146 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

That is what I'm thinking.
This page placing a link to I think gives you a better idea of what's been happening and also explains how the 600 percent increase came from as well. Having said that It's clear they were asking for a dollar a month at first.
http://www.myfoxtric..._us/DirecTV_FAQ

I love the math that myfoxtricities is using. A 6000 percent markup? If DirecTV were charging the "75 to 100 dollars" to provide simply the one channel, I could understand. I thought I got a few more channels for the $68 that I am paying. It looks as though they are trying to extort a payment for each subscriber whether they are a viewer or not.

#147 OFFLINE   ulfius

ulfius

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

I can just imagine what our bills would be like if DirecTV had to pay every station $1/month/subscriber.

#148 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

I wonder what Directv or Dish could save on these retransmission fees if they both sent out the over the air modules and then didn't count those that had the modules as customers not receiving the locals via satellite. The rural customer would be the only ones that could be counted. I have an AM-21 module on my DVR and can see the transmitter tower from my front door.

Actually I think the broadcasters should be sent the bill for the cost of carrying the signal to me. I mean if they want Directv to charge me to receive the signal, then they should also be partners in it getting it to me, and pay accordingly instead of letting Directv pay that bill, and the extortion fees.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...